What's new

Trip to London - Shave tourism recommendations

I'm feeling desperate to get out of Germany and back into the English speaking world for a few days so I booked a cheap last minute flight to London to visit a friend for the weekend. While I'm there I'd like to check out some of the famous shave shops and pick up a few choice items

Currently on my hit list are the four famous shops around St James Square:
Taylors of Old Bond Street
Geo F Trumpers
Truefitt and Hill
DR Harris & Co

I can't afford to go crazy but I'd like to do some sniffing (literally), get a sampler pack from each of them, buy a soap or cream or two, maybe pick up some skin food, and, most importantly: go for my first straight razor shave!

Has anyone visited these shops? Can anyone recommend which one to visit for a shave? How much does it cost? Are there any other shops I should check out in London? Or perhaps a better one for a straight razor shave than these 4 famous shops?

Can't wait to see legendary London!

While you're on Jermyn Street, pop into Czech and Speake too. Penhaligon's (Covent Garden, Burlington Arcade etc.) have some great scents although their shaving soap has sadly gone downhill. I hear their shaving cream is still good, but I haven't tried it myself.

I was in London last year, and my favorite place was DR Harris on St James St. I just loved the small little shop, and the people that worked there were very friendly.

GFT was my least favorite joint. The staff were a bit standoffish and uninviting...I ended up just walking out after a few min.

TOBS was a nice visit. I ended up with a lot of goodies from there just because of the volume of things they had on display.

Harrods has a pretty decent shaving section in the basement if you want to smell everything in one place.

I was in London last year, and my favorite place was DR Harris on St James St. I just loved the small little shop, and the people that worked there were very friendly.

GFT was my least favorite joint. The staff were a bit standoffish and uninviting...I ended up just walking out after a few min.

TOBS was a nice visit. I ended up with a lot of goodies from there just because of the volume of things they had on display.

Harrods has a pretty decent shaving section in the basement if you want to smell everything in one place.

Good grief... this thread just sent me on a rabbit trail. First searching St James St, led me to St. James Palace. So what's the history behind this place? Well, gotta look up the monarchy now... Oh yeah, how's that relate with international events over the last 400 years? What's the current line of succession... oh dear... that's where my afternoon went.

D.R. Harris's shop on St. James' will close, or has closed, for renovation. There is a temporary location on Picadilly, near the Burlington Arcade.. I find DRH less crowded and over run by tourists than TOBS. But the latter does have excellent choices. I agree that GFT is pretentious and the shop staff misplace their lofty positions with the Lords in Parliament. If you Get down St. James' as far as T&H, be sure to check out Locke's Hatmakers across the street.

Last edited:
D.R. Harris's shop on St. James' will close, or has closed, for renovation. There is a temporary location on Picadilly, near the Burlington Arcade.. I find DRH less crowded and over run by tourists than TOBS. But the latter does have excellent choices. I agree that GFT is pretentious and the shop staff misplace their lofty positions with the Lords in Parliament. If you down St. James' as far as T&H, be sure to check out Locke's Hatmakers across the street.
That's too bad, the old school look is what I liked

Well, I quite agree with you! Although I bought in both GFT and TOBS. GFT staff can be intimidating, at first glance, but I had an overall good experience. They realised I was not an English-speaking person and they were anyway very patient while I told them all the items I wanted (I was so happy to be there that words didn't come out easily! :D).
TOBS is more easy, and the staff leave customers going around every corner to try, to test, etc...

I too shall be in London for the 4 July holiday (not much a holiday there, hehe) in order to attend my graduation cermony. I studied for my Master's there, but I was sadly not a wet shaver at the time. For my graduation present to myself, I would like to get my first straight shave at one of the above mentioned shops. Although, being a student, I cannot afford a £60 shave (I have been told this is the cost at Harrod's), especially if I want to try some product as well. Does anyone know how much this will cost? I do not want to drag the lady into every shop, as we will not be there for such a long time.

I've had shaves at T&H once and twice at Jermyn St Barbers (in the back of TOBS). I definitely prefer the service at TOBS. They can be reached on +44 20 7839 4550.

Next time I'm over in July, I'm planning one at TOBS, and possibly one at Murdock, in their Covent Garden branch, or perhaps at GFT. Haven't decided yet...

I find it interesting that Murdock's "Traditional English Wet Shave" uses only D.R. Harris products when Murdock has its own line of products (Murdock of London). Hey, I wouldn't argue with them..... D.R. Harris is as good as it gets when it comes to English shaving products IMO.

Ben

I must admit I wasn't aware so many places like this existed and I live in the city! However I only started DE shaving a few weeks ago, so go easy on me. I know some regular barbers give a straight razor shave, my friend who lives not too far from me got one when he needed some ID photos. During my July holiday I'll try and see if I can visit any of them. I'm getting a (small) bonus so I might treat myself.

It is another five weeks until I return The Smoke, so I will be sure to post any other interesting findings. And I will definitely update this thread upon my return. I've yet to settle on where I go for my first 'real' shave.

I must admit I wasn't aware so many places like this existed and I live in the city! However I only started DE shaving a few weeks ago, so go easy on me. I know some regular barbers give a straight razor shave, my friend who lives not too far from me got one when he needed some ID photos. During my July holiday I'll try and see if I can visit any of them. I'm getting a (small) bonus so I might treat myself.

I'm curious, as a person local to London... how often is it that you get out and about in such a large place? I imagine there are plenty of amazing things in your city that you've never experienced. New Orleans is obviously a much smaller city, and I experience that here. But it's very easy for me to go "downtown" or "uptown" and just spend a day experiencing things. I'm curious what that must be like for a city like London, NYC, Paris, or Rome, etc...

I'm curious, as a person local to London... how often is it that you get out and about in such a large place? I imagine there are plenty of amazing things in your city that you've never experienced. New Orleans is obviously a much smaller city, and I experience that here. But it's very easy for me to go "downtown" or "uptown" and just spend a day experiencing things. I'm curious what that must be like for a city like London, NYC, Paris, or Rome, etc...

I live in West London and am very lucky in my "home position". I have a train station and several bus stops just a minute from my door. I don't go to the city as much as I'd like, but I never go anywhere unless I have a real plan. For example if I were to book an appointment at a shaving place, then grab lunch that's ok but I'd never spend the travel money just to walk around. Getting around is easy but it's very expensive and the cost rises each new year.

I live in West London and am very lucky in my "home position". I have a train station and several bus stops just a minute from my door. I don't go to the city as much as I'd like, but I never go anywhere unless I have a real plan. For example if I were to book an appointment at a shaving place, then grab lunch that's ok but I'd never spend the travel money just to walk around. Getting around is easy but it's very expensive and the cost rises each new year.

What a pain! So to be a tourist in your own town (as we New Orleanians are often encouraged to do), it probably actually costs tourist prices. That's a big bummer.

Well my return update is a few weeks late, but better than never!

I had a great time there and did manage to make it to Geo F Trumpers on Curzon, Taylor's of Old Bond Street on Jermyn, and DR Harris on St James's Street.

The people were very friendly at all of the locations and in particular I found the woman at GFT on Curzon to be extremely nice and polite (I felt like a proper gentleman in there) and a very nice man named Dieter at DR Harris who even offered to show me around Lindau, Germany, next time I'm down that way. Amazingly polite!

The shops themselves were a marvel. Very classy, interesting and authentic. Unfortunately I didn't have enough cash for a shave on this trip, but next time I will definitely make an appointment and set aside enough cash. I believe a shave at GFT was about 35gbp and at Taylor's was about 38gbp if my memory serves. For 75gbp you can get a 1hour 1on1 lesson with a master barber at GFT to teach you or help you improve your technique. Would love to try that some day too!

I think I'd go with the shave at GFT Curzon over TOBS Jermyn; Jermyn had a bit of a cramped, rushed feeling, while GFT Curzon was more private, relaxed and dignified. Just my impression though since I didn't actually have a shave at either.

I picked up a bunch of goodies while I was there, mostly sample packs since the overwhelming variety paralyzed my decision making. Here's a few pics:

The GFT sample packs was only 8gbp! The cream samples are only 2 shaves worth at most but for the price it's totally worth it to try out all those products.

So far I don't have any clear favourites from the group, in fact I haven't even made it through them all! I will say I'm a bit disappointed with the GFT Almond soap though; I liked it at first but after a few tries I find the scent isn't really my thing, the lather is only so so and it doesn't moisturize particularly well. I really like the DR Harris Windsor scent and the TOBS Avocado is nice for the summer.

Can't wait to go back and finally have that shave!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom