What's new

Trip to AoS with a $75 gift card

Armed with this Christmas gift, I set off to the nearest Art of Shaving.

The two clerks were in their 20s. Early 20s. I think they were play boxing behind me at some point! One of them told me their safety razors were a mix of Muhle and Merkur, so I asked if one of them was an R41. I did not know...and it turns out he did not know either. He instead pointed me to their "most popular offering". I think it was a 34C. I already have a 34G and I was really there for a Progress anyway.

I did end up with the Progess. The long handle one. Were it not for the gift certificate, I would not have been in there. I also got an extremely overpriced block of alum. Christmas, what the heck. I was feeling generous to our Proctor and Gamble overlords.

One of the clerks engaged me in conversation about DE wetshaving. He is a prowler of local antique stores. Told me he landed a Slim for $20 locally. I was envious.

We don't have shops like that in my area. Sounds like you had an enjoyable outing. I too have considered the Progress. Let us know how it works for you.

We don't have shops like that in my area. Sounds like you had an enjoyable outing. I too have considered the Progress. Let us know how it works for you.

One of the best razors ever...you should grab one, you won't regret it. (I have 3 of them!)

Sometimes I'll pay not to have the 'retail experience'.
I got my slim maybe 2 years ago (USA 1962 - great condition). It was just under 10 pounds
- maybe 15 dollars or so then.
I've been quite lucky generally, but I didn't know that was a 'good' price.
Just assumed that was the going rate (until now).

Armed with this Christmas gift, I set off to the nearest Art of Shaving.

The two clerks were in their 20s. Early 20s. I think they were play boxing behind me at some point! One of them told me their safety razors were a mix of Muhle and Merkur, so I asked if one of them was an R41. I did not know...and it turns out he did not know either. He instead pointed me to their "most popular offering". I think it was a 34C. I already have a 34G and I was really there for a Progress anyway.

I did end up with the Progess. The long handle one. Were it not for the gift certificate, I would not have been in there. I also got an extremely overpriced block of alum. Christmas, what the heck. I was feeling generous to our Proctor and Gamble overlords.

One of the clerks engaged me in conversation about DE wetshaving. He is a prowler of local antique stores. Told me he landed a Slim for $20 locally. I was envious.

Looks like you had fun! Plus you got to use the gift certificate for something good!! :a14::a14:

I haven't been back to an AoS since the time I asked about the performance of a lather bowl. Instead of extolling how great it is, they tried to push their soap on me. I mean, there I was, willing to spend extra on a bowl, if it had some great performance. But they seemed to just want to push their soaps, instead of gain knowledge of the other items sold in the store.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit. I am sure the reason was only because someone decided to drop money on a gift card for you.

I haven't been back to an AoS since the time I asked about the performance of a lather bowl. Instead of extolling how great it is, they tried to push their soap on me. I mean, there I was, willing to spend extra on a bowl, if it had some great performance. But they seemed to just want to push their soaps, instead of gain knowledge of the other items sold in the store.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit. I am sure the reason was only because someone decided to drop money on a gift card for you.

Yes, without the gift card I'd have no reason to go into an AoS. I understand profit margins and operating expenses and whatnot, but the prices there are not justifiable. I suspect their decision to only locate at high-end outdoor shopping malls (that's the way it appears in Ohio), with no doubt high leases contributes to this.

But I do not regret the long handle Merkur Progress purchase. It will likely become my most used razor based on the one time I've shaved with it so far.

Top Bottom