What's new

Trip Report: Amicalola Falls to Neel Gap

Back yesterday from our 3 day trip from Amicalola Falls to Neel Gap. It was hard! That's a tough, rocky section of the AT. We had a good time, the weather was (mostly) good, and our gear worked great. My new SLD hammock was awesome, and the DIY underquilys and top quilts the LOML made worked great (with the exception of the last night - see below).

Day 1: Approach Trail to Stover Creek Shelter: Man, those 609 steps to the top of the falls are a killer. Just a tough section overall. But the view from the top of Springer was worth it. It actually rained this night, which was a surprise.

Day 2: Stover Creek to Gooch Mountain Shelter: Probably the hardest day. Lots of elevation change on this section and a 6 mile stretch with no water. And the water flow at Gooch was very slow. I actually slept "topless" (no tarp) this evening and heard a bear in the middle of the night.

Day 3: Stover Creek to Blood Mountain Shelter: This was actually the longest stretch (13.5 miles) but didn't feel that hard until the steep climb at the end. It was windier and colder than we expected at the top of the mountain. The wind blew all night, steady at 20-30 miles p/hour with gusts to 35-40. Tarps were blowing around and the underquilts and top quilts just couldn't keep us warm (we would have been fine without the wind). Woke up to ice on the tarps. We bugged out early - got up at 6, threw everything in our packs, and picked our way down the mountain to meet our shuttle driver at Neel Gap.

Great trip, and can't wait to get out there! Pictures below.

$archway.jpg
MrSpeedy and MrsSpeedy at the famous Archway

$amicalola.jpg
View from the top of Amicalola Falls

$springer.jpg
At the top of Springer Mountain

$topofspringer.jpg
View from the top of Springer

$balds.jpg
View from a bald north of Woody Gap

Great trip. Nice photos. I did that hike years ago when I lived in Atlanta. The first 3/4 mile from the arch to the top of the falls is an absolute staircase climb.

The last time I went in April, 2007, we skipped the first part and started our hike at the parking lot at the top of the falls. Lazy!!

Last edited:
Nice!! Several years ago i took two of my kids and one of their friends there on a Labor Day weekend. We camped at Etowah River Campground. The day after we drove up, we got up early and parked at the bottom of the falls. Instead of ascending the staircase we walked a mile on a forest service road to the top of the falls.

We then started on the approach trail. About a mile in we were attacked by a huge swarm of yellowjackets from a ground nest we stood over. I got stung 7 times and the kids a couple times each. It looked as if I was wearing a shirt of bees! There were some tears, but all three wanted to keep going to Springer Mountain.

We summited and enjoyed the view awhile. We decided to go by the lodge on the way back, thinking it was a shortcut. It wasn't! My son stepped over a copperhead at one point. We made it back to the Jeep at about 10 o'clock after walking down the stairs. Late dinner that night after about 20 miles of hiking!

A year later we drove the Jeep to the lot a mile from the summit! So much exploring to be done there. The AT is on the bucket list. Glad you got to spend some time there!

Top Bottom