What's new

Trimming your beard

How many of you trim your own beard? I usually let the barber do it. But he's on vacation. And I have a wedding to go this Saturday.

I can trim the sides, cheek lines. And the line in front of the ears. But it's the bottom I can't get right.

I'm not trying to get it this sharp. But more of a natural looking line.

I need to learn how to trim that part anyway. Can't depend on the barber to keep doing that
20210224_120044.jpg

It is easier to trim someone else's that your own. You can see better.

The best method I found was to use scissors over a comb. Trim to the length that you want in narrow strip down the center from chin to Adam's Apple. You can now use the center strip as a guideline and begin cutting sections to each side of the center line. Somewhat like mowing the lawn, you overlap the sections to blend them together.

I've always trimmed my own beard, but have been doing it since I was a teenager and it really didn't matter if I messed it up. Doing your first trim before a big event sounds like you could be flirting with disaster. If I were you I would just clean up the sideburns, mustache, and cheek lines. Then call it a day. That should be easy enough, especially if you've already done these in the past and get you cleaned up enough. If you really want to do the bottom I would go with a clipper with no guard and just do it like you're trimming up the bushes. Start very far out where you're barely cutting anything just the flyaways and creep up on it. Do it when you have the time to not feel rushed. If you start to feel you're screwing it up, put the trimmer down and walk away for a few minutes, come back, comb back through it, take another look and resume if necessary. Good luck.

I always trim my own. I love my barber but I dont trust her to trim my beard because barbers arent training to trim beards.
Ive always just kept mine trimmed up with a clipper on the sides and I trim my moustache and goatee area with a scissors.

I trim my own. I usually use a set of drug store clippers with the longest guard. Mustache is taken care of with a sharp pair of scissors and a steady hand.

But if your wedding is Saturday, trim it now! Get off of here and trim it! That day or so will give it the chance to fill back in and look more natural.

It is easier to trim someone else's that your own. You can see better.

The best method I found was to use scissors over a comb. Trim to the length that you want in narrow strip down the center from chin to Adam's Apple. You can now use the center strip as a guideline and begin cutting sections to each side of the center line. Somewhat like mowing the lawn, you overlap the sections to blend them together.

I need to buy some scissors and a comb for trimming my beard, any reccommendations?

I need to buy some scissors and a comb for trimming my beard, any reccommendations?
Recommendations are kind of a minefield, everybody has their own opinions. I'd suggest using the same sort of tools you'd use for giving a home haircut. One of the Wahl small clipper combs in a contrasting color from your beard should work fine (Wahl 03197). The best hair cutting shears are really expensive, but an inexpensive pair from Pakistan will be OK. Around 5.5 inch size and cost under $15. Avoid using regular household scissors for this.
wahl-combs.png shears-2.png

Top Bottom