What's new

Trimming your beard

Hi everyone, I have seen on some videos for example the early straight razors having a comb attached also I have seen beard\hair cutter Combs. So enough of my ramblings is their any de or manual beard trimmers, how do they perform ? And lastly are electric trimmers just better? Much thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Is this the sort of thing you are thinking of? It’s my old (1970s) Cutiecut (German) manual trimmer. I just used it on my beard, but I’m sure haircuts are in its repertoire. My barber has a similar trimmer on his dusty shelf of barbering antiques.

I don’t know if they can be purchased new these days. Electrics are faster, for sure. I use a small, cheap Norelco rechargeable these days.
DC89BF0B-78D1-4499-B0B6-63CA61C51A69.jpeg

70523D15-D7DD-47A9-A15C-EA9485CA372E.jpeg

As I browse for shaving goods in vintage stores I see lots of Weck hair/beard shapers. They look a little like an SR. Yesterday I looked at a full Weck set that had a bunch of DE blades in the case, but I couldn’t figure out how they would possibly mount in the Weck. Looks to me like it takes a proprietary blade.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've been using some kid's safety scissors since I swiped them in grade four to trim my whiskers...

Ummm...mostly I just let it grow until it starts to cover up my bow tie. Then out come the safety scissors and it gets a good pruning. About four times a year, on average, for the last 25 years.

My mom used to have a comb with a DE blade holder on the side. Looked like one scary piece of torture equipment.

Never saw her use it, either. :1eye:

O.H.

Top Bottom