What's new

trimmed badger hair

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and would like to increase my rather limited knowledge of wet shaving. My first question is the following:
Are the tips of badger hair shaving brushes typically trimmed or untrimmed, from the factory? I just bought a one (not an expensive one) that is supposed to be pure badger and the hair ends have been trimmed (to shape the brush I suppose). I have seen some Silver Tipped knots for sale on ebay that are advertised as untrimmed so that they are softer.

Last edited:
Here's a blurb i've recieved from a supplier (with my own added input):
Cheaper grades of badger hair (pure, best, dark) are trimmed hair. the cut ends make these brushes "scritchy"

super badger is often highly graded 'pure' hair bleached on the ends to resemble silvertip. Though it is composed of 'pure' badger hairs, 'super' is graded and sorted to such a degree that its performance is superior to that of 'best'. The brush is not prickly. (basically untrimmed "pure" grade)

Silvertip badger is the most expensive and rare type of badger hair. The tips on this hair appear white naturally, without bleaching. A "flared" bristle load gives results in the 'silvertip' brush's fluffy appearance and lends the brush its ability to hold a large amount of water. Due to its water retention capacity, a 'silvertip' brush can create well-formed shaving lather quickly and easily.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Here's a blurb i've recieved from a supplier (with my own added input):

Telecaster52:
Not meaning to ask a dumb question, but is there a way to make a brush (like black badger), with 'trimmed' hairs less scratchier?

I've tried member Ambose's method a few times with only little (softer), difference. Any tips or tricks of the trade? :blush:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139297

Christopher :c2:

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and would like to increase my rather limited knowledge of wet shaving. My first question is the following:
Are the tips of badger hair shaving brushes typically trimmed or untrimmed, from the factory? I just a new one (not an expensive one) that is supposed to be pure badger and the hair end have been trimmed (to shape the brush I suppose). I have seen some Silver Tipped knots for sale on ebay that are advertised as untrimmed so that they are softer.

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Telecaster52:
Not meaning to ask a dumb question, but is there a way to make a brush (like black badger), with 'trimmed' hairs less scratchier?

I've tried member Ambose's method a few times with only little (softer), difference. Any tips or tricks of the trade? :blush:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139297

It IS possible, but there's only so much improvement you can get with a trimmed brush. On a silvertip, the bristles are "flared" so there is more surface area in contact with soap/face/etc, which explains silvertip's reputation for super-softness and "exploding" with lather (the more SA= the more soap loaded in a given amount of swirls on the soap). "Breaking in" a brush just means you're wearing the bristles in such a way as to increase the surface area. Jose's method is great (works wonders on boar brushes IMO) but in the end there's nothing that can take the place of months of lathering to really soften a brush up

Last edited:
Remember the difference between the higher and lower grades isn't just the trim. The hair itself comes from a different part of the animal and is very different.

True, I really like my badger brush but it is a little prickly which I guess is due to the trimmed ends. I hope it will improve with use.

Remember the difference between the higher and lower grades isn't just the trim. The hair itself comes from a different part of the animal and is very different.

yes, there's that. BUT, [blasphemy] If you were to trim the ends on a silvertip, i reckon it would lather/feel similar to a super or best badger [/blasphemy] :lol:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
It IS possible, but there's only so much improvement you can get with a trimmed brush. On a silvertip, the bristles are "flared" so there is more surface area in contact with soap/face/etc, which explains silvertip's reputation for super-softness and "exploding" with lather (the more SA= the more soap loaded in a given amount of swirls on the soap). "Breaking in" a brush just means you're wearing the bristles in such a way as to increase the surface area. Jose's method is great (works wonders on boar brushes IMO) but in the end there's nothing that can take the place of months of lathering to really soften a brush up
Telecaster52:
Thanx for your input and sharing your knowledge to one & all :thumbup:

Top Bottom