What's new

Trigger Finger Surgery: Anyone had it?

Blanket Disclaimer: This is not a firearms-related thread. Please, let's keep it that way. My reference is to a medical condition.

Gents:

I haven't posted much lately, for a variety of reasons, but I've been lurking and keeping abreast of the doings of members old and new. With the prospect of a great deal of time on my hands, I suspect I'll be dropping in more regularly...

Tomorrow, I'll be undergoing surgery for trigger finger on my right (dominant) hand. Naturally, I'm a bit apprehensive, moreover, a bit disappointed: It's just shy of two years that I've been straight-shaving daily, and it looks as if that run will be interrupted for some time. Of course, there are a host of other things I generally do right-handed, so it's going to be an interesting trial. (Just how well I can operate a stick-shift with a bandaged hand remains to be seen...)

So...Has anyone else undergone this procedure? I confident in the surgeon, but he's a bit glib on recovery time. My sense from online discussion is that "recovery" means different things to different people: For some, it means the ability to hold a telephone or use a knife and fork. For me, it means all of the above, as well as being able to use hand tools, do housework, lift a reasonable load (say 50 lbs.,) and ride my bike daily. And, of course, strop and shave.

Any feedback or experience shared would be appreciated...For now, I've dusted off the HD, and loaded up a fresh Feather, and steeled myself for a few weeks of sloppy, left-handed shaves...

I was curious why you can't shave with your left hand? I could shave my face with a straight one handed although it would take more time. I hope you recover fully and speedily though.

I was curious why you can't shave with your left hand? I could shave my face with a straight one handed although it would take more time. I hope you recover fully and speedily though.
I switch hands, so I could shave with my left without too much trouble. Not so sure I could strop left-handed, and can't imagine how I'd hold the strop taut...

Thanks for the well-wishes.

Personally I had 9 left hand surgery's due to an injury from birth when I was born in 1979...I skin stretch with alum block rubbed on my left fingers and straight held on my right..works pretty well
Alum block is $10 or so from wcs.com it's rock salt and dont get anything cheaper as the quality can go downhill as I have heard from other members who get the $5 vs the $10 blocks..rub it lightly on your fingers and stretch away

"Where there is a will...there is a way"
ST

Recovery times are always subjective. I had a cervical C5-6 fusion a couple years ago and the doc said I would need a year off, I went back to work 3 months later on light duty shuffling paper and doing computer work. Looking back I could have used another month, but I met people that had been out two years and still couldn't get back to work. Take your time and listen to your body, it will tell you when your good.

Jay

No experience with hand surgery--just wishes for your speedy recovery. Take your time with recovery and rehab too. A little bit more time on the front end will probably pay off in the long run.

My reply is gun related. I shoot a lot, including several centerfires, and a flintlock muzzleloader with set triggers, and a match grade air rifle with a trigger pull of about 1 1/2 ounces, so surgery there would be a big concern.

I have not had any hand surgeries, however a friend of mine who was a marine sniper had his right trigger finger almost cut completely off working on an oil platform (job after leaving the military). He had a hard time of it to start it took him a year and a half before he got back the functionality he currently has. He adapted reasonably quickly and is now able to shoot again though his trigger pull has had to change dramatically.

Hope the information was helpful. I am aware you did not mean this to be a gun related post per say however my only knowledge is a friend i go shooting with from time to time.

Chris

Thanks again for all the well-wishes, as well as the encouragement. I can't imagine any other place where I'd be encouraged to convalesce with a straight razor (and that's a good thing.)

I guess I should have clarified my disclaimer, or amplified my description: I am being treated for a condition called Trigger Finger. The surgery does not involve my trigger finger (nor do I shoot...) It's a comparatively minor affair, just a nip and a tuck to a tendon sheath. I'm going into it healthy and fit, and I'm super-disciplined about PT/OT, so I feel good about recovery. But at 52, I heal...like a fit, healthy 52-year old. I'll just have to play it as it lays. I'm accustomed to daily aerobic exercise, so I foresee a lot of long walks.

At best, I'm looking at it as a good time to step back from the necessary evils of my two part time jobs, to focus on my latterly beleaguered career as a freelance writer. August is a terrible time to sell a story or interview a subject, but it's probably a good time to shut myself in my office and get to the hard part. (Did anyone else just hear the music from The Shining?)

Last edited:
I had skin surgically burned off my left palm several years ago. They took about 16cm² from the area under my middle and ring fingers on my right hand. With proper diet, exercise, aftercare and rehab (Read: Painful multi daily stretching) my skin recovered and left me with only a very small scar and indreased dexterity in that hand. Good luck with your surgery!

I have had hand surgery from an injury. In a cast for 4 months then off to rehab. I hve had no lasting effects since and my dexterity is fine, even for small model building. My sister had a trigger finger fixed last year. She is also fine.

Good Luck with the surgery, god speed for a quick recovery.

Jeff ( I hope signatures are allowed here) :)

My dad had this condition a few years back. I'd never heard of it before. The surgery to correct it was minor, and the best I remember he was good to go after a couple of weeks. He doesn't complain about his hand giving him any problems since then. Shortly after his surgery, I had it in a couple of fingers, but I'm on anti-inflammatories for my knee and neck and it went away without surgery.

Again, thanks for the responses and good vibrations, guys. The surgery was indeed minor, and went smoothly; Mrs. M and I even went out for a light lunch afterward, before riding the subway home. The hand is totally bandaged and swollen now, but I can use the thumb and two fingers, albeit without bearing any weight (a teabag felt like lead in my hand...) But the pain isn't terrible, and the prospect of regaining full use of the hand is pleasing. Stitches come out in about a week, and the surgeon (who's also a cyclist,) said I should be able to ride lightly in two or three. A few months for swelling and tenderness to resolve, and I'll be right as dodgers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom