What's new

Trig Silver Edge Blue

1st shave with the Trig Silver Edge in the blue package, this one:

1.png

I make this clear, because there is also another Trig, in a white with horizontal green lines tuck. Which also contains 10 blades, but, i don't know why, at least in the local shop i found them, the blue costs 15 EUR for 200 carton, while the green costs 10,5 EUR for 200 blades. I don't know what's the story, but since this was a blind purchase to increase my blade variety and since i had conflicting results with Treet Platinum, i thought to buy the more expensive version, just in case... Also some bias since they are "made in Pakistan", so i thought "i don't want to tear my face to pieces for 4,5 EUR difference).

- The blade comes in 10 blade tuck, each blade in double wrapper, with wax paper inside and regular paper outside. The packaging also says "do not wipe blade, let blade in the razor". The tuck also states that the company is ISO9001:2008 certified. The blade has each side marked as "A" and "B" (i say that for those who like flipping sides).
- It's supposed to be stainless steel, teflon coated.
- The blade, started with a somewhat rough glide, making very much noise. The only other blade that is so noisy from the ones i 've tried, is Shark Super Stainless. Both these blades, make their best to inform you just how many hairs they 're cutting at a given moment. I don't mind that, just a curious fact.
- The blade started with what i would say medium-high sharpness, but by the end of the shave, it has degraded to say medium. The glide also improved from a fairly rough to a somewhat rough, that reminds me my recent experience with the Derby Premium. However, Derby Premim, although has a similarly somewhat rough glide, holds its edge better. This is one of the blades, that i think changes characteristics very fast during the 1st shave.
- The shave resulted in a BBS/DFS mix and it was very comfortable. 0/0/0 (nick/weeper/irritation). The blade was very forgiving, i shaved pretty much carelessly and even applied pressure with no problems. I soon treated it like a blade that i already knew, it was giving you much confidence.
- Let's say that this isn't the most refined blade in the world, but for the comfortable shave it gave me, i can say that i have other more famous blades, that puts them to shame. I am glad i bought 200, i just found another "careless" blade. I 'd say, it resembles the Shark Super Stainless, which i also find very smooth and careless, but in a sharper edition. Although the Shark has a smoother glide.
- The main "negative": If the blade's edge continues to deteriorate at the same pace, i don't think this blade will go past 3-4 shaves. Frankly, i don't care. For 16 EUR, i get 200 Astra SP. This pretty much makes any other blade purchase based solely on price/performance moot. But i prefer having 11 blade types, so that i can have variety of experiences and this is one of the best purchases for that scope.

If someone finds them at like rock bottom price and wants to add some variety to his rotation for cheap, i think this is an honest blade.

In deed, when i searched, i found very little about this blade. It seems very few have used them. However, i was encouraged by this:

Blade Wars: Astra Superior Platinum vs Trig Silver Edge Stainless Steel

Unfortunately, i haven't been able to find any source as to what the difference is between the "Blue" and the "Green" Silver Edge. At first i thought "maybe the green has 5 blades in the tuck?". But no, they have 10 too.

Somehow i doubt that this blade will make it to the 10th shave like the guy's in the link, but it's your classic YMMV with different beards and razors and such.

At any rate, given the packaging (10 blades in a tuck) and the price, they are clearly not Treet's best offering, but rather a cheaper one. However, having tried the Treet Platinum, between a blade that it's sharper and lasts longer, but can nick me or give weepers and a more "mundane" blade that i can use without fear of nicks/weepers and still get a good result, i will always pick the 2nd. And Trig seems very agreeable with my face.

About the teflon coating, this is an info that i found it from a european site that sells blade samples (razorwebclub or something similar). On the box it's not stated anything about what this "silver edge" is about.

Other than the fact that i don't think this will be a long-lasting blade (at least for my beard/razor), i like having blades that i know that can forgive mistakes and i really am glad i bought them. For 16 EUR, i could buy 200 Treet Platinums. But my spotty record with them hasn't allowed me to. Unless with the last remaining blades i change my mind. I find the Trigs more user-friendly, because since blade-buffing is very easy with a Weishi, i don't mind doing that.

Shave#2 (Weishi FL, Proraso White):

- Another extremely comfortable shave with 0/0/0.
- Blade has degraded some still, but somewhat slower. Still, i think this is most likely a 3-4 shave blade, not more. It's a shame actually, because it's a very smooth blade, but if it has more sharpness and better ability to hold its edge better, it would be a much better blade.
- Generous blade buffing, led to DFS. The blade didn't do a perfect job below the jawline, but considering also that this was again cold water shave, it wasn't bad. And the shave was very comfortable.

Maybe not a very sharp blade, but certainly an enjoyable one while its edge still holds.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have two of these blades. I just had a shave with my NEW SC and a Derby so I wont be able to get to them for a few days, but I'll post back my thoughts on them as well.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ok, Trig Silver Edge.

IMG_1613.JPG

Gillette NEW SC
Stirling Executive Man
Omega boar

48 hours since last shave with a fresh Derby Extra.

Lather up and start the WTG pass. Half way through my first stroke from cheek to jawline it felt tuggy, very tuggy. I thought it would be better once the majority of the stubble was gone so I just used faster strokes, but still a very tuggy first pass.

Dive right into the next pass ATG as I usually do now and still very tuggy but not as bad. Finish the ATG pass and notice a weeper left corner of my mouth. Rinse and still had considerable stubble on my jawline and neck feeling ATG. Relather and commence the third battle. I finished with a red blotchy neck, weepers in 5 different areas, four new ones on my neck at my trouble spots and a near DFS at and below my jawline, after 3 cold water splashes.

This blade was actually skipping off the stubble over my trouble areas this blade is so ineffective for me. In return for that lack of sharpness, the smoothness wasnt there either. The closer the shave became the more harsh the blade felt. Third pass was like shaving with 600 grit wet sandpaper.

Derby Extra can be a bit tuggy first pass I admit, but no where near the level of this blade. Consecutive passes a Derby just feels smoother and smoother.

It's been roughly 30 minutes since I finished shaving and my neck is still hot, but with my skin tightening up its actually a very fine DFS and near BBS in some areas. The comfort level of these blades is severely lacking for me though.

LOL! I almost feel sorry for @Esox . I think that from now on, i will specify that i use the usual glycerin-argan oil cream as preshave, because it seems that it enhances greatly blades, especially the less sharp ones, by increasing a lot the sliperiness of the skin. After a long time i shaved without it, with Derby Premium and i couldn't recognize that i had shaved with this blade before. Could be that i also used DE89 this time, but boy the blade was feeling so different, in a bad way. In fact i tossed it. I will have to repeat this with the same razor, but i think that the cream i put is really a game changer. It's like superlather. It's like having Proraso on steroids.

The even greatest mystery, is the guy in the link of Astra vs Trig, where Trig went on for 10 (!) shaves and beat Astra! Out of this world!

Last edited:
Your profile image shows you have high regards for Astra so I hope you don't mind the fact that I find Astra (SP or SS) a pretty mediocre blade. Don't get me wrong, in my opinion, Astras are fairly sharp, fairly smooth and fairly cheap so they are fairly above average (again in my opinion).
Astras have a place in my rotation but everytime I shave with them, I say to myself that "tomorrow I will use Polsilver or Perma).
YMMV.:001_rolle

Your profile image shows you have high regards for Astra so I hope you don't mind the fact that I find Astra (SP or SS) a pretty mediocre blade. Don't get me wrong, in my opinion, Astras are fairly sharp, fairly smooth and fairly cheap so they are fairly above average (again in my opinion).
Astras have a place in my rotation but everytime I shave with them, I say to myself that "tomorrow I will use Polsilver or Perma).

By all means, blades are YMMV per excellence. For me Astra is more than enough. I actually don't want a blade that is too sharp, because it also increases nick chance. The good part with Astra, is that i have perfect record (no nicks, weepers or irritation) and locally it costs 8 EUR vs 36 of the Polsilver (for 100 packs). At the end, since i found a blade that works very well, why search for sharper... I don't see shaving as a race, but as a job to get done. I prefer having a blade that i have to do buffing to arrive to a result without nicks, than a blade that with 3 single passes cuts everything but can give weepers or nicks. In fact, i haven't bought a Feather and i am in no hurry to.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
LOL! I almost feel sorry for @Esox .

LOL, thanks for the sympathies, but it's ok lol. I dont mind trying new blades, good, bad or otherwise. This is how we find the pleasant little surprises, and possible torture devices haha.

In a razor as mild as your Wieshi is, a Feather blade you might find to be a very good match. It's a wonderful blade for me in my Tech and likely my SC now that I'm more use too it. I just ordered 100 today. If you can find a tuck for a good price locally to you, give them a try. They are very nice blades, but can be a bit harsh. That was the first blade that showed me I dont need a full three pass shave all the time. A Feather in my Brit Rocket, was my first solid two pass shave, with a single buffing pass on my neck. No irritation, no burn, just a ...sense you were shaving with a very sharp blade.

By all means, blades are YMMV per excellence. For me Astra is more than enough. I actually don't want a blade that is too sharp, because it also increases nick chance. The good part with Astra, is that i have perfect record (no nicks, weepers or irritation) and locally it costs 8 EUR vs 36 of the Polsilver (for 100 packs). At the end, since i found a blade that works very well, why search for sharper... I don't see shaving as a race, but as a job to get done. I prefer having a blade that i have to do buffing to arrive to a result without nicks, than a blade that with 3 single passes cuts everything but can give weepers or nicks. In fact, i haven't bought a Feather and i am in no hurry to.

Fair enough.
I personally am not in love with feathers to be honest. I have a love hate relationship with feathers...and it seems Feathers have similar relationship with me!

Fair enough.
I personally am not in love with feathers to be honest. I have a love hate relationship with feathers...and it seems Feathers have similar relationship with me!

If someone has extremely coarse and dense beard, i suppose Feather becomes more of a necessity. However, when i shave i feel no obligation to finish the shave in 3 single passes. Somewhere, i had seen a vintage Gilette leaflet, advising to only shave WTG. Apparently, someone else, thought of the 3 passes. This isn't God's word or something. When i end the shave, i always get BBS or DFS. If i have to do blade buffing because i use a very mild razor or because i don't use the sharpest of blades, i don't care. What i care is that i don't cut my face. By now, i know how much buffing i must do in each pass, to end up with a good shave. For all i care, i could do 6 passes instead of 3 with buffing and i would still be happy, as long as i get a good shave without cuts and irritation.

Shave #3 with Trig Silver Edge
This time with EJ DE89 Kelvin
Prep: Argan oil hydrating hand cream
Proraso White.

- Another smooth shave with 0/0/0.
- However, by the end of the shave, ATG, the blade had starting showing clear signs of deterioration (in a small patch that the skin isn't as tight, it started to tug before cutting).
- Shave ended in DFS with patches of BBS.

Time to toss the blade.

Last edited:
New Trig with EJ DE89 Kelvin, Proraso White tub, but this time without preshave cream:

The blade had problems ATG. It didn't glide well, felt dull. 1 weeper ATG.

As i have noticed other times, with the less stellar blades, the prep makes a very big difference. This blade, at least with Proraso, needs prep to glide well.

IMHO Astra's are only slightly above average at best , Which explains the very
Modest Price , and Polsivers SI sit's firmly
High up in the top tier of the greatest blades , as usual YMMV..

Shave #2 with Trig. This time with preshave cream + TOBS Sandalwood, EJ DE89 Kelvin:

- Very easy gliding in the first 2 passes, it seemed like a much better blade than it is. You could have told me that it's an Astra and i would have believed it.
- ATG, it wasn't so good, but comfortable shave overall.

Conclusion: preshave cream matters a lot with this blade and so does the soap.

I can only say good things about the trig silver edge, 14 shaves with one blade, price-performance ratio made it easy for me to stockpile them :a14:

Wow! And i thought i was the crazy one having 200. You must be the 1st person ever to have stocked 1600 of these blades! :ouch1:

Top Bottom