What's new

Tried the Veg at Merz's

Took a trip to Chicago this weekend and stopped in to Merz's Apothecary for the first time. They had a tester of the Veg to try so I dabbed a bit on my skin to see if I was one of the Chosen.

A few minutes later I smelled the area I put it and........felt like dying. It smelled exactly like cat urine! Despite all the options of things to try in there for cologne I just grabbed whatever was in front of me to try to cover it up. For the next hour or so I was quite nauseated when thinking back to the smell.

To all of the Chosen, you have one less person to compete with when buying it.

That's funny. I grabbed a bottle at Bed Bath & Beyond and splashed some on in the parking lot.

Smell faded quickly.
Splashed a little more when I got home.

SWMBO came home an hour or so later and I asked "So how does this smell?"
"How does what smell? You smell like you normally do"
Opened the bottle, she shoved her nose in, said "Not much of a smell, it would blend in with whatever it's applied to"

I can detect it a couple of hours after applying, but like all of the Pinaud aftershaves, it's not overpowering and seems to fade quickly. Only Special Reserve seems to last more than an hour or so (rightfully so, it's a cologne more than it is an aftershave).

But so far, my den includes VI Bay Rum, Clubman, Veg, and Special Reserve. They're all a part of my normal rotation.
Used the Veg before heading out for some shopping yesterday and one of the counter girls commented that I smelled really nice, and that she had not smelled that before.

YMMV... Different things work with different body chemistry as SWMBO has always said. Polo doesn't seem to work for me, Sandalwood does.

odd... I tried a dab from the tester at Merz at the Palmer house last fall and liked it. Then not long after a grab box came by and I tried the veg in that box and it was horrible. It isn't bad, but when it skunks, it reeks.

On a whim, I picked up a bottle of the Veg earlier this week. I tried it the other day and , to me, it was overpowering and stuck with me all day. Today when I was in my yard, I realized why I was having a problem with it. I have a French Lilac in my yard that is in full bloom (and scent). It can be overpowering. When I have to smell the real thing for a good part of the day, it grows tireing. Thus the lack of enthusiasm for the Veg.

Maybe when the strong scents of spring fade into summer, etc., I will appreciate the Veg more. Until then, it will 'vegitate' in my cabinet.

I was not chosen. At application it did smell like cat urine. Not so bad when it dried down, but not to my liking. I don't like Special Reserve either. To me smells like a dirty ash tray. I know most guys love it. I'll stick to the original Clubman and Virgin Island Bay Rum for my Pinaud experience.

I use it on occassion. Not the best in performance and the scent is somewhat antiquated but I wouldn't classify it as offensive. It's longevity is a sight to behold though, it lasts longer than a good deal of my colognes and edt.

I managed to source some Veg online after reading about it on B&B .It definately didn't choose me :scared: .My Mrs said it stank of urine and my daughter said it reminded her of a badly maintained public toilet :lol: . The scent is for sure NOT me :surrender: .I have other clubman aftershaves which are better recieved , my favourite being Musk ( not the citrus ) and SR . They go down better with the Mrs who sometimes steals a dab or two of the Musk when I'm not looking :001_huh:.

I don't like Special Reserve either. To me smells like a dirty ash tray.

The Veg did not choose me. The Special Reserve was interesting. The first time I applied it, I seemed to sense a bit of Veg in the background - even now I think I can detect it. However, it is back there far enough that it doesn't make me retch and the overall effect of the SR is at least OK.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
The Veg is odd stuff. Usually after shaves do not change on me over time, but with The Veg, you have to put it on liberally and wait a half hour and see what happens. It does change. Best to try this on a weekend day when you are not working. First time I tried it I had the same reaction.

But when I really splashed it on, and let it sit for a half hour ...

$Angels_singing_Signs_of_Angels.jpg

To all of the Chosen, you have one less person to compete with when buying it.

It was not for me either...

You actually sprayed that stuff on your body? You are a brave man.

I was not chosen.

The scent is for sure NOT me :surrender:

The Veg did not choose me.

Other shavers rock the Veg and have some fun
I tried and the basenotes smell like Number One
I can't get over the resemblance to cat pee
Oh unchosen me

A bad mistake, I'm waiting for it to dry down
The bathroom paint is peeling, can't keep my breakfast down
How someone else could like it I just can't see
Oh unchosen me

The Veg just ain't for me