What's new

Tried the "fearsome" Yaqi Knight Helmet razor this morning for the first time

It arrived in yesterday's mail.

Background: I don't like aggressive DE razors and I don't like blade feel in a DE razor. Right, so why in the world did I buy a Knight Helmet, known for blade feel and extreme aggression?

I don't really know, except that the idea of the fearsome DE that couldn't be safely wielded was intriguing to me. I also have always thought that it looked cool, design-wise. As far as how fierce it is, I saw a video on YouTube of an elderly woman shaving her face with it. She kept saying that the blade feel was tremendous, but I didn't see her getting horribly disfigured. That, and the fact that I shave with shavettes 4 times a week made me think maybe I could handle it..........

I was buying a Sagrada Familia brush with birthday money, and I saw the Knight Helmet there for something like $5 and I thought, why not?

Disclaimer: I only use DE for certain clean-up duty, because I use shavettes for every shave, so I haven't actually had a full shave with it yet (and may never). I usually get the sideburns and about a half-inch down from the sideburns with a DE, and the corners of my mouth after the first pass. After the second pass I usually clean up along the jawline, and sometimes below the mouth +/- the chin and mustache area.

So, how was it?

I loaded it up with a Polsilver SI blade and attached it to a UFO Titan Fine L handle. Right off the bat I could definitely feel the blade, that's for sure. Loaded up it has a lot of blade reveal and you can see that the exposure is high, too, if you hold it just right. But the sideburns went ok. I did a bit more on the right side of the face on the cheek just to see how it felt, and it shaved great with a fair bit of blade feel.

When i was doing the corner of the mouth on the right it felt a bit harsh at one point. I think I got too steep there on one swipe. I was really worried about the jawline, which is a tough spot on both sides that I usually clean up with an extremely mild razor like a post-war Tech. But I went at it with the Knight Helmet, and it went fine.

Here's how I did it: 1) I went EXTREMELY shallow, so much so that at first I could see in the lather the cutouts in the topcap, then just barely moved it from there. 2) I had an EXTREMELY light touch. It almost felt like I was lifting the razor OFF of my face at times, but I was still maintaining contact. I could hear the stubble being cut, but could barely feel the razor on my face.

Used in this way, the razor did a great job on clean-up and I had no irritation or redness whatsoever.

So, after a partial shave, I'd have to say that the Knight Helmet would definitely not be a great choice for a beginner, but for someone with experience and good technique, it can be tamed by using an extremely shallow angle and light touch. I didn't really feel like the blade had a lot of chatter, despite the large amount of blade reveal; the blade seats into the top cap pretty firmly, and is bent to a point that allows a fair bit of stiffness of the blade despite the overhang.

In short, it's actually not a bad razor, but you have to know what you are doing. I have been doing old-school wetshaving since 2009 and have tackled straight razors and shavettes, so for me it wasn't bad at all. The price was certainly right. If you have good technique and want to try a more challenging razor, give it a go!

I ordered this head with my Yaqi order but haven't tried it yet. It is odd Yaqi has different names for the same razors/heads. Can anyone explain this phenomenon? For example I see it listed as Knight Helmet on AliExpress, but on the AUS Yaqi site when I ordered just the head of this, they call it the Grill (to me it reminds me of a toaster from the 1950s).

Fantastic review and exactly my thoughts.

I shaved with it yesterday and used a 7 o' clock Super Platinum aka Black inside the Helmet. Soap was Fine Sandal Absolut.

For the first pass, it was OK, but soon realized that it was impossible to do a 3 full pass shave, so I just went XTG and some touch ups here and there.

I can tell that the result was excellent and the shave was deep, but I was a bit scared with this one. The razor was digging inside the skin if I wasn't super careful.

I found the Yaqi Slant smoother for some reason. There I loaded a Trig blade.

Update: I used the Knight Helmet for a second shave. It did ok, but it really does have a LOT of blade feel. Honestly if feels essentially like a naked blade; at best like a DE shavette.

Last night I was looking at it and I had a thought. I noticed that not only does it have a large gap, but it has a LOT of blade exposure. There are two design features that make this razor so aggressive, imo. 1) the base plate safety bars don't extend as wide as most, instead being folding downward aggressively. 2) The cap is not very wide and not very curved. This leaves a lot of blade reveal, less blade support, and also because it is not much curved, leaves the blade sticking almost straight out. This, coupled with the curvature of the base plate, is what allows so much blade to stick out beyond a line connecting the base plate to the top cap (i.e., blade exposure).

I compared the top cap of my iKon Shavecraft 101 to that of the Knight Helmet. I found that the 101 was slightly wider, and a little more curved downward. I thought that this combination of features might tone down the Knight Helmet considerably, so I made a Frankenrazor using an iKon bamboo handle, the Knight Helmet baseplate, and the iKon 101 top cap.

Looking at this creature with a blade loaded I was able to make a few observations. 1) The blade reveal was considerably less than with the Knight Helmet top cap. This suggested, perhaps, less chatter because of more support. 2) Because the iKon head is more curved, it appeared that there would be less blade exposure, as well. 3) Finally, there was still an absolutely HUGE blade gap.

I was able to give it a go during this morning's shave. Interesting razor. Still quite aggressive and blade forward, but nowhere near the feeling of a "naked DE blade" that I got on the second shave with the Knight Helmet. Felt more like a Blackland Blackbird. It was still EXTREMELY efficient and had to be handled with a bit of care, but it didn't feel like it was just waiting to bite you at every stroke.

Overall, I think the Frankenrazor is a better shaver than the original Knight Helmet.

I may experiment a bit more with this razor. I might even try an old Gillette New Improved cap on it, just for fun. Who knows, maybe I'll find a Frankenrazor that clicks all the boxes and becomes a favorite.

It's been a long time, but I wanted to give an update to this. The Knight Helmet sat mostly unused for most of the year. A couple of days ago, I decided to give it another try just for fun. In the interim I had acquired an aluminum handle, and I thought the razor might benefit from an extremely light handle, so I loaded up a well-used blade (not a fresh one) and gave it a go.

As I mentioned, I shave exclusively with shavettes, but in order to give this a fair shake, I decided to do the entire first pass with the Knight Helmet. As before, it is all blade feel, all the time. The light handle did make it even easier to remember to keep the touch very light. I managed to get through the first pass without any weepers or troubles. I did notice that after one pass I had a pretty good shave and probably could have quit right there. I don't have any other razors that would allow me to do this.

I decided to do a quick second pass with my AC shavette, though, and when it came time for buffing along the jawline, I thought better of it and moved the blade from the Knight Helmet to a flat-bottom British New. Overall, a very good shave. A few minutes later I noticed a tiny bit of irritation in the low neck and near the Adam's apple, but not much. No weepers and nothing in the way of visible irritation.

In short, the razor still feels like a DE blade superglued to a popsicle stick, but with an aluminum handle and a light touch, it is impressive in its first-pass prowess. I think if I used it more regularly, I would get used to the way it feels, and I would be able to tame it and could even use it exclusively, not that I want to.

I think it is interesting that an open blade razor such as the Feather SS or my Kai Kasho shavettes are definitely less aggressive than this beast. It's not often that you meet a DE razor so aggressive and fierce that the shaver says to himself, "That was a little much; I think I'll use a shavette for the second pass just to be safe." Lol.

One way to tame the yaqi helmet a bit is to use a solid cap that has more of an blade angled down pressure. I had two caps that worked great ( very similar) . One off a old pearl open comb, that other was off a yaqi de89 clone head - which my brother got only got for the handle. Again the are not just the plain arched bottom top caps, just like the de 89 replacement cap. Results: looks like less blade exposer and more of a downward blade angle. Much tamer, did this for my bother who does not have much doe and loves aliexpress crap....ypur miliage my vary, be extremity careful and methodic when messing around with frankenstein razors - if it does fit, seat, or look right...stop.... you have only one face......BFX

Top Bottom