What's new

Tried something new today!

Picked up this tin of Pacific Saury (mackerel pike) in miso sauce at the local asian market. I really enjoyed making sandwiches with the mackerel topped with a slice of smoky Gouda.

closed tin.jpg

open tin.jpg

And drizzling some of the sauce and stray mackerel bits over Cammie's Blue Buffalo kibble really got her licking her chops!

Cammie licking her chops.jpg

Tim

Hmmm. Sounds good enough, how did it taste? Is it comparable to say...a can of sardines or was it different?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I was a kid we'd catch mackerel 3 or 4 at a time during August. School fish. You could go hours without a nibble and then suddenly catch 25 fish in 10 minutes. They're fun to catch but I never warmed to eating them. It's like eating an oil soaked rag filled with tiny common pins.

Ya, i lived on the beach south of plymouth mass. we would catch haddock, cod and flounder to eat,.
Pollack we would make into fish cakes, ( soft meat) and when the mackeral ran we could catch a boatload and bring them in in give them away. I guess the way to cook em is to broil them, thats what I was told, too many bones for me.
Much better fish to catch, I would spearfish for tautog. look it up, never see them for sale.

Hmmm. Sounds good enough, how did it taste? Is it comparable to say...a can of sardines or was it different?

Similar in taste but the mackerel was meatier than the sardines. I think I prefer the mackerel, but will have to try another tin (and maybe another) just to be sure ;).

Tim

When I was a kid we'd catch mackerel 3 or 4 at a time during August. School fish. You could go hours without a nibble and then suddenly catch 25 fish in 10 minutes. They're fun to catch but I never warmed to eating them. It's like eating an oil soaked rag filled with tiny common pins.

Wow, that was not my experience taste- or texture-wise. Maybe is was the magic of miso that made the mackerel quiet tasty. I am not a fan of tiny bones so I wonder if these mackerel fillets were deboned before packing them into the tins.

Tim

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Ya, i lived on the beach south of plymouth mass. we would catch haddock, cod and flounder to eat,.
Pollack we would make into fish cakes, ( soft meat) and when the mackeral ran we could catch a boatload and bring them in in give them away. I guess the way to cook em is to broil them, thats what I was told, too many bones for me.
Much better fish to catch, I would spearfish for tautog. look it up, never see them for sale.
Plymouth? I had lobster pots off Manomet Beach for about 10 years when I was a kid- late 60s-70s. I fished those waters all the time. We'd catch plenty of flounder, but cod was already getting rare by that time and we never saw haddock in those inshore waters. The only time we'd catch the odd cod was in early spring- March, maybe April. To catch cod or haddock you had to go at least out to the edge of Stellwagen Bank, and that's north/northeast of Provincetown. The Massachusetts Bay waters were really fished out by the 60s.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Recently SWMBO bbq’d a whole mackerel over the hibachi while we were out camping ... freakin’ delicious!

To each his own, I guess ...

Plymouth? I had lobster pots off Manomet Beach for about 10 years when I was a kid- late 60s-70s. I fished those waters all the time. We'd catch plenty of flounder, but cod was already getting rare by that time and we never saw haddock in those inshore waters. The only time we'd catch the odd cod was in early spring- March, maybe April. To catch cod or haddock you had to go at least out to the edge of Stellwagen Bank, and that's north/northeast of Provincetown. The Massachusetts Bay waters were really fished out by the 60s.
Yup, white horse beach, same time frame. Haddock we needed to go out a bit and find a hole..

I’ll have to keep my eyes out for this.

Beautiful dog btw, is the bowl upside down for smaller serving size?

Cammie is a brindle-colored Boxer-Plott hound mix (a Pepper Tree rescue dog from Georgia). The Plott hound is a boar- and bear-hunting breed common to and very popular in the NC/Virginia mountains. The Plott family migrated from Germany to NC back in the late 1800s and continued breeding these hunting dogs.

The bowl is flipped upside down because Boxers are prone to eating too fast and then having stomach issues. She can go through a bowl of Blue Buffalo in seconds if flipped rightside up!!

Tim

Top Bottom