What's new

Tried Puérh for the 1st time

I ordered a cheap small aged Puérh Tea Brick from Amazon here. I didn't want to spend too much because I wanted to see if I would like it, and guess what? I did! The taste is different, almost too earthy, but I'm assuming it is due to the 'cheapness' of the tea itself. The way I prepared it was to place a piece of the brick into a tea pot, pour in boiling water, dump water, then poured more boiling water in and steeped for 2 minutes. Sound right? What do you guys think of the tea I got? What is the next in line? And do they sell a sample pack for cheap with like 1-2 servings per sample?

I think I am going to like this Forum.

I may be wrong, but I think this Tea's labeling is misleading. At one point it states "traditional Aged Pu-erh Tea Brick" then at another point states that it is fermented, which is contradictory. I think what you have gotten is the Shu or Ripe variety which tends to be more earthy. You will also want to try some different varieties of Sheng and compare.

I have some nondescript Puérh from a local store and I find that I have to throw away the first two steepings, otherwise it is too earthy. The forth steeping is the best, when much of the edge has been taken off. Even then I don't think I am steeping that long...I think your first brew at 2 minutes right off boil may be too aggressive.

I noticed the taste starts to lose the earthy tone after the 1st seeping (which is a godsend). Is anyone willing to send a couple samples of what they have, so I can see what I like? I can pay shipping or whatever charges may entail. I would just hate to purchase a product and hate it.

I second the jas-etea recommendation. I have gotten a few of his samplers and even though I have not developed a vocabulary to describe their flavors, one does find clear differences and develop preferences. So you then know what to buy in a larger quantity.

What bothers me about this listing on Amazon is exactly what is alluded to above. This is not aged puer, but cooked/ripe/shu still warm, right out of the oven. I agree with StillShaving that it is always best, particularly on Amazon or eBay to go with know distributors, of which Jas-etea is an excellent example.

In my humble opinion, I have yet to meet a shu I truly liked. Sheng, on the other hand, sublime..

+4 to the Jas-etea puh-er sampler. If you don't like the earthy taste, I agree with the above suggestions - you will undoubtedly enjoy sheng (unripe pu-ehr) more.
Jas-etea sends four different varieties with their sampler and their prices are good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom