What's new

Tried Harry's Razor

I had sworn to never use anything with more than 2 blades (Sensor Excel, SkinGuard, Guard only).
Well, I got a cheap trial of Harry's razor.

WOW.
Truly impressive.

No wonder Gillette is losing to these guys.
The blades are high-quality indeed.
The angle of the blades is amazingly acute/downward-facing.
The blades also have some spring action due to the way they are mounted on.

I used it on about 2 days of growth.

Soap: Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk.
Brush: RazoRock Synthetic Plissoft.
Lather: Warm Water, Face Lather, Regular Mug.
Prep: Shower and warm soap wash of beard.

Technique:
1 Main WTG Pass and 1 WTG and XTG Touch-Up Pass for missed areas and a closer shave.
I go for a consistent, clean, even, and irritation-free look rather than an ultra-close BBS.
I arrange my face to shave it like the surface of a diamond.

This razor works really well with DE technique.
It was painless and efficient. 0 pressure.
This is what a modern cartridge is supposed to be like.

It obviously beats the Fusion5 for me which feels like rusted iron sandpapering my skin.
I'd have to continue comparing it with the SkinGuard.
But, for now, it ties with the Sensor Excel and seems better than the SkinGuard.

I think I can get this down to just 1 pass and go!

Nice write-up. I was also favorably impressed by Harry’s. Your comments about DE technique and no pressure are spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find Harry's worse than Dorco's, just slightly better than Bic. YMMV. Terms and conditions apply, yada yada yada.

I've been using Harry's for a few years now. Wasn't crazy about the performance initially, but it's become my go-to cartridge for weekday shaves.

I tried Harry's last year and got great shaves from it. My only beef was that the blades are so close together that it clogs up with cream easily. Its fine though as long as you rinse the razor frequently.

I find Harry's worse than Dorco's, just slightly better than Bic. YMMV. Terms and conditions apply, yada yada yada.
I may have to try those again, but, the Dorco Twin (Dollar Shave Club) was the worst cartridge I'd ever seen or tried.
Such a poor design.
Gave twin cartridges a bad name.

I tried Harry's last year and got great shaves from it. My only beef was that the blades are so close together that it clogs up with cream easily. Its fine though as long as you rinse the razor frequently.
Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk gives a good balanced lather. Not too thick and creamy.
I also only had 2 days of growth.
This is probably why I didn't experience much clogging.

I may have to try those again, but, the Dorco Twin (Dollar Shave Club) was the worst cartridge I'd ever seen or tried.
Such a poor design.
I use the DSC 4X and it gives great shaves. Its the same thing as the Dorco Pace 4. Ive also used the Barbsol Ultra 6+ and it gave great shaves too. Its the same thing as the Dorco Pace 6+. I just like the 4X because I find the head on the 5 and 6 blade razors to be too big and bulky.

Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk gives a good balanced lather. Not too thick and creamy.
I also only had 2 days of growth.
This is probably why I didn't experience much clogging.
Probably. IMO, thin and slick is the way to go.

This is an issue with Harry's blades. They're fine when I'm on my regular shaving routine (every other day), but 3 or 4 days of growth and the blades get clogged very easily.

Such a poor design.
I have used the Pace 3, Pace 4, Pace 6, Pace 7 without any issues. The Pace 6 is comparable with the Fusion in my opinion.

I like their handles, not a fan of the weak hinge design and the angle I have to use to get a decent shave. Blades clogged too often with the supplied harry's gel, got a better shave using it with barbasol. Also found the blade not to last too long. I would use them again if they came out with a different razor design with 3 blades.

Such a poor design.

Awful indeed, they looked nicer than the personna twin on the website I grabbed them to use with my atra handle and couldnt get a decent shave with it even with barely a days growth. I've been happy with Dorco's other offerings

I like their handles, not a fan of the weak hinge design and the angle I have to use to get a decent shave. Blades clogged too often with the supplied harry's gel, got a better shave using it with barbasol. Also found the blade not to last too long. I would use them again if they came out with a different razor design with 3 blades.
Did you try them before or after their recent redesign?

This is an issue with Harry's blades. They're fine when I'm on my regular shaving routine (every other day), but 3 or 4 days of growth and the blades get clogged very easily.
Agree. I used Harry's with Nivea shave gel and I found that I would have to rinse it out after every swipe. They actually worked well with Cremo or other brushless creams but they were awful with gel. I find that Gillette and Dorco carts dont clog like Harry's do.

I have used the Pace 3, Pace 4, Pace 6, Pace 7 without any issues. The Pace 6 is comparable with the Fusion in my opinion.
Agree 100%. I find the Pace 6+ or 7 to be too many blades but for the price, you cant beat it and it just goes to show you how overpriced Gilette and Schick's carts have become.

Is the angle on the PACE 4's blades comparable to the angle on Harry's blades?
I find them to be pretty equal in terms of smoothness and closeness, so Id say its comparable.

I've used Harry's before with good results. Right now I'm using the Gillette Skinguard and it's probably the best cartridge razor I've used.

Top Bottom