What's new

Tried Fluoride free toothpaste for a first time.

I have a hard time believing anything to do with dental hygiene. I used to always brush my teeth when younger, say 19 and under. I had several cavities. My dad never brushed his teeth, we had good dental coverage and every time he went (twice a year) the dentist was always amazed at how clean his teeth were. I guess he did brush them right before the office visit, but that's it.

Well, for whatever reason, I just got lazy and stopped with the every day brushing, then brushing all together. I think it's been around 10 years. I still use mouthwash to gargle and swish around occasionally if I get bad breath. I only floss if I get food like steak stuck in my teeth. I have had no cavities and my teeth are very clean and white. I do occasionally (once a week or so) rub them with a wash rag while showering, but no toothpaste or anything like that. I don't know if it's genetics or what, but it works for me, no cavities, white teeth and no bad breath.

I know this sounds scurvy/gross as an idea, but honestly, I don't even own a tooth brush and have great dental hygiene.

strong points made by both DeusVult and rajagra imo..

All I see is a lot of hand-waving. I posted the actual statistics, and in reply I get a post about design standards. Forgive me if I don't see how that rebuts the actual, real-world statistics.

It's disturbing that people find this sort of fact-dodging, hand-waving doublespeak to be convincing.

These are the same type of people who are convinced that topically-used fluoride is dangerous, or that vaccines cause autism.

All I see is a lot of hand-waving. I posted the actual statistics, and in reply I get a post about design standards. Forgive me if I don't see how that rebuts the actual, real-world statistics.

It's disturbing that people find this sort of fact-dodging, hand-waving doublespeak to be convincing.

These are the same type of people who are convinced that topically-used fluoride is dangerous, or that vaccines cause autism.

. k

All I see is a lot of hand-waving. I posted the actual statistics, and in reply I get a post about design standards.
You don't need to be confrontational. I'm trying to have an adult conversation, not arguing.

In post 37 I was replying to DeusVult, not you.
In post 39 I gave a direct answer to the question you asked!
If you really want counter points to the links you gave, try these:

Bias in older research, no net benefit from helmets in later studies
Evidence that casts doubt upon helmet efficacy
A helmet saved my life!

Yes, that is a biased site. But focus on the facts, not who is saying them.

I think that's enough of this off-topic discussion.

Last edited:
I'll take my chances without the flouride, thanks.

I've said it elsewhere but Desert Essences Tea Tree Oil & Neem toothpaste is an amazing flouride free option - my favourite toothpaste of all time.

Yes rajagra, I suppose I was being confrontational.

I'd like to point out though, in your first link, regarding the statement, "Casualty trends from other countries where helmet use has become significant also show no reductions in serious or fatal injuries attributable to helmets. In the USA, an increase in helmet use from 18% to 50% of cyclists over a decade was accompanied by a 10% increase in head injuries. There was no clear evidence of any increase in cycle use, which may have declined," it linked to this article: http://cyclehelmets.org/1028.html, which states:
"What is going on here? No one is very sure, but safety experts stress that while helmets do not prevent accidents from happening, they are extremely effective at reducing the severity of head injuries when they do occur. Almost no one suggests that riders should stop wearing helmets, which researchers have found can reduce the severity of brain injuries by as much as 88 percent."

Statistics can be massaged to make it look like they're saying the opposite of what they really are.

I agree that we drop this. Sorry for jumping to conclusions about your intentions.

I'll take my chances without the flouride, thanks.

I've said it elsewhere but Desert Essences Tea Tree Oil & Neem toothpaste is an amazing flouride free option - my favourite toothpaste of all time.

ive used that before and it is a fantastic toothpaste. Was my go to until i found my beloved himalaya organique!!

I just bought the Desert Essences toothpaste. It doesn't contain silica. What are the advantages of silica and disadvantages if any?

Fluoride is not a metal, never mind a heavy metal. Fluoride compounds in the water contain no heavy metals.

This is a topic that seems to inspire (on both sides) much emotion and little rational thought.

You've got to be kidding.

I'll humor you, although you should know better.

First, there is no question that a helmet drastically reduces the risks of a head injury.

Second, sugar doesn't soak into teeth, it acts as food for bacteria which produce acidic byproducts that demineralize enamel. If you brush your teeth and floss 3 times a day, you can sit there with a mouthful of sugar and it isn't going to magically soak in and make holes in your teeth. Similar to how a helmet works, fluoride strengthens the enamel, drastically reducing the rate that it demineralizes.

Nobody here is talking about a magic force field. We're talking about prevention. Do you honestly think that a prevention is not worth using unless it's absolutely 100% effective? Good luck finding something that matches that criteria.

I'm pushing 50.
I have one small filling. Dentist "found" it in a tooth that a dentist said "I'm going to keep an eye on that pit" over 25 years ago.
I rarely go to the dentist... maybe every 5-10 years?
I don't floss. I do occasional scaling myself.
I brush with Crest, or Colgate... generally once a day, but if a particularly sweet snack leaves my teeth feeling "fuzzy", I'll pull a travel brush and paste out of my glovebox and give them a once-over.

My father is 90. He has maybe 2 fillings and one crown.
Mom has the gold that's missing from Ft. Knox.

When I was a kid, every 6 months to the dentist with the fluoride "swish".

Since it seems that nothing else I'm doing as an adult is "correct", I have to credit my continued use of fluoride-bearing pastes with my good dental health.

I just bought the Desert Essences toothpaste. It doesn't contain silica. What are the advantages of silica and disadvantages if any?
Silica is an abrasive.
Excellent cleaner, and it's also good at eroding your enamel.

There is a reason that dentists recommend soft brushes, and "hard" brushes are extremely difficult to find.

I will have to try the Jason toothpaste, I like their body products and they have them at the Exchange.

I got one of the Jason toothpastes with fluoride. I didn't think I would like it as much as some of the others I've tried because this one's a gel, but I like it quite a bit.

Top Bottom