What's new

Tried Derby Extras (Verts) for the first time today...

So I've been using the Treet Platinums that were bundled with my Merkur 38C for the past month, with no complaints. My stock was getting low (I only got 10 blades) so I ordered a sampler from WCS.

Today I loaded up a Derby Extra in my Gillette New for my first non-Treet Platinum shave. And it was... alright. Definitely not as smooth as the Treets, but not horrible either (I definitely thought it was a better shave than with the Merkur blade that came with the 38C).

Should I expect the the blade to be any better in the 38C? I also have Astras, Norco 300s, Crystals, and Red Personnas. Which should I go with next? Any specific blade/razor combos that you would recommend?

Thanks!

So I've been using the Treet Platinums that were bundled with my Merkur 38C for the past month, with no complaints. My stock was getting low (I only got 10 blades) so I ordered a sampler from WCS.

Today I loaded up a Derby Extra in my Gillette New for my first non-Treet Platinum shave. And it was... alright. Definitely not as smooth as the Treets, but not horrible either (I definitely thought it was a better shave than with the Merkur blade that came with the 38C).

Should I expect the the blade to be any better in the 38C? I also have Astras, Norco 300s, Crystals, and Red Personnas. Which should I go with next? Any specific blade/razor combos that you would recommend?

Thanks!

I'd go with the Red Personnas. I am betting that'll be the best blade in the bunch. Derbys give me one great shave. I haven't tried Treets.

Thanks!

I find the Derbys to be very sensitive to the razor that is used. In some razors (a '40s SS for me), I find the Derbys to be as good or better than any other blade I've tried (and I notice no difference between "horizontal" and "vertical" Derbys). Having looked at what other members have posted, the Red Personnas and the Astras receive the most praise out of the blades you list. I would go with one of these next. I personally find the Personnas to be a bit smoother than the Crystals. That said, I've read where some have pointed out that they are both made in the same plant in Israel. That makes me wonder if there is any difference in the blades at all.

I've found that derby's will give you an okay shave, but not anywhere near as good as the ideal blade for your razor / face. I recommend them as a starter blade to newbies because they are pretty forgiving, they won't give you a BBS but they will keep you from tearing your face off.
My brothers on the other hand swear by derbies.. I"ve been telling them to branch out and put a few differnt blades in there but they are stubborn.

Last edited:
Mate i have the same razor and so far have tried from my sample pack the original merkur ( ok. but did pull) Then i tried the Derby plus and again i thought it would be a little better but after the fourth shave i found a sweety.I am first to admit that i am so new at this but have sucked up all the useful information on this site like a $2 dollar lady of the night at a nerd convention. I just tried an astra SP and i think its the beez neez. I am so happy with my first shave that i am excited to revisit tomorrow. To keep some kind of parallel i havn't changed my prep or soap type.It is now my very limited benchmark blade but i know why most shavers like the Astra superior platinum:thumbup1:.

Top Bottom