What's new

Tried Cold Water Shaving

Well, I finally got up the courage to try cold water shaving with my DE razor. Results are fantastic. It feels a little weird putting a cold metal razor against my face, but both of my cold water shaves have left me with less neck irritation and smoother feeling skin. I will continue for the remainder of this week to see if it's a fluke or something I might continue doing. I never would have considered using cold water if I hadn't read some of the posts on this forum....thanks gents.

If you haven't given cold water shaving a shot, maybe give it a try.

Well, I finally got up the courage to try cold water shaving with my DE razor. Results are fantastic. It feels a little weird putting a cold metal razor against my face, but both of my cold water shaves have left me with less neck irritation and smoother feeling skin. I will continue for the remainder of this week to see if it's a fluke or something I might continue doing. I never would have considered using cold water if I hadn't read some of the posts on this forum....thanks gents.

If you haven't given cold water shaving a shot, maybe give it a try.

Glad It worked so well. I've never tried it. Guess I'm too much a creature of habit.

I've tried it a number of times. My feelings about it are mixed. Many shavers swear by it. Others think it's ridiculous. Do whatever rings your bell.

And don't forget the compromise: Try shaving with water that's neutral or barely warm.

The main thing I don't like about cold water shaving is I have hard water and lathering in cold hard water is not a joy, even with a great soap and a marvelous brush.

I've tried it a number of times. My feelings about it are mixed. Many shavers swear by it. Others think it's ridiculous. Do whatever rings your bell.

And don't forget the compromise: Try shaving with water that's neutral or barely warm.

The main thing I don't like about cold water shaving is I have hard water and lathering in cold hard water is not a joy, even with a great soap and a marvelous brush.

I have still been lathering with hot/warm water and shaving with cold/cool water. I like the lather to be warm when it hits my face :001_smile.

I've been shaving with cold lather and cold water for a while now. I mostly shave with cold water to save time and because if I shave with too hot of water then the razor tends to skip on my face.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm experimenting still pre shave, I like to use warm water to clean the skin and warmer water with a heavy wash cloth to cover the face to hydrate the skin for a minute. Rinse with cold water(nice feeling) and but a small amount of some aloe gel and three drops of castor oil in the palm of the hand and rub the palms together and apply to beard for preshave lub. Apply the warm face cloth for a little bit so whiskers are hydrated give a cold short rinse and apply the lather for the shave. After each pass its cold rinse for sure and my skin has never been healthier looking for some time!
All the best

For me, it works year round. I don't go overboard anymore and add ice cubes to the water - except when it is 119 degrees plus in AZ. The water is what comes out of the cold tap.

For me, it works year round. I don't go overboard anymore and add ice cubes to the water - except when it is 119 degrees plus in AZ. The water is what comes out of the cold tap.

I'm in GA so the cold water coming out is usually just cool at best.

I settled on lukewarm after getting too much irritation with hot water and not really digging the feeling of a cold water shave. Still do a cold water rinse at the end though!

I gave cold water shaving a try, found that I'm a lightweight and preferred semi-hot water shaving; however, I do prefer cold water for my final rinse.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I just shave with comes out the tap with only the cold water turned on. It’s worked for me for years

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Try Ice Water Shaving.

Here's how I do it.

I go to the kitchen and get a pretty big plastic mixing bowl half filled with ice. The bowl needs to be large enough to hold the ice, water, and a hand towel large enough to fold and cover your face and neck.

Before showering put a couple of ice cubes on top of your puck with a tad of water. Put your brush in a mug of ice and water.

After your hot shower, rinse your beard with ice water. Pour your puck's ice and water into a second small mug. Load your brush while a clean dry towel soaks in an ice bath. Rinse your beard again with ice water. Face lather adding a bit of ice water as needed from the second small mug.

Soak your lathered beard with the towel after wringing out much of the water, leave the towel fairly wet but not dripping. Soak for maybe two or three minutes while you consider how lightly your razor should touch your skin, etc.

Rinse again with ice water. Lather again. Shave. Rinse your razor as needed in hot running water, but dip it into the ice water you used to soak your brush before touching your face with steel. Your razor should be cold. Cold steel is sharper!

After every pass rinse your face and neck well with ice water. Final rinse is ice water and lots of it.

After pat drying your face, apply witch hazel. As soon as it dries, apply Osage Rub just to totally blow your mind, and finish off with a cold-hot blast of menthol.

Delicious!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Try Ice Water Shaving.

Here's how I do it.

I go to the kitchen and get a pretty big plastic mixing bowl half filled with ice. The bowl needs to be large enough to hold the ice, water, and a hand towel large enough to fold and cover your face and neck.

Before showering put a couple of ice cubes on top of your puck with a tad of water. Put your brush in a mug of ice and water.

After your hot shower, rinse your beard with ice water. Pour your puck's ice and water into a second small mug. Load your brush while a clean dry towel soaks in an ice bath. Rinse your beard again with ice water. Face lather adding a bit of ice water as needed from the second small mug.

Soak your lathered beard with the towel after wringing out much of the water, leave the towel fairly wet but not dripping. Soak for maybe two or three minutes while you consider how lightly your razor should touch your skin, etc.

Rinse again with ice water. Lather again. Shave. Rinse your razor as needed in hot running water, but dip it into the ice water you used to soak your brush before touching your face with steel. Your razor should be cold. Cold steel is sharper!

After every pass rinse your face and neck well with ice water. Final rinse is ice water and lots of it.

After pat drying your face, apply witch hazel. As soon as it dries, apply Osage Rub just to totally blow your mind, and finish off with a cold-hot blast of menthol.

Delicious!

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm looking at the forecast for the week, and thinking to myself "there's no way in heck I'd go for that". If probably squeal like a girl before the shave even got started.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm looking at the forecast for the week, and thinking to myself "there's no way in heck I'd go for that". If probably squeal like a girl before the shave even got started.

proxy.php

I'm looking at your manly avatar and imagining you squealing like girl. LOL

With you on the ice water, and the tepid water too for that matter.

Top Bottom