What's new

Tried both and I think I'm going to settle on DE for now.

I have for a number of years shaved with a (please don't ban me from the site) straight razor that is apparently not a straight razor at all but a hair shaper by Fromm. It worked and I was pleased. About a week ago I ordered a Dovo Inox straight 4/8 from the shave mall. In the mean time I snagged a double edge from my father and shaved. I did very well with the double edge and had no problem going xtg and atg. I only suffered one small nick in the middle of my chin. I never understood reading on here all the hype with how close a shave you all were getting. Now I know. That was the closest shave I have ever had. Today I got my straight in the mail, as well as my new Crabtree Super Badger. I tried it out and I'm just not comfortable going atg. I did alright with xtg. No cuts, no nicks.

All in all I think the ease of the DE is what I am after right now. So, when the time comes I think the straight will go and I will use that to gather more DE razors than I could ever use.

Welcome aboard! You're in good company here, as not all of us are keen about the potential of laying our cheeks open to the jaw bone.

Should a topic like this be posted here or in General as I'm not as much of a newbie as I was a few weeks ago?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome! I also used a shavette for a bit and it wasn't properly... At least, I now have a DE and a few straights :)rolleyes:) and I think I use them properly!

Hi and welcome to a not so new newbie:001_smile

If you have already bought a straight I`d` hang onto it for a while you may decide to keep it, I agree DE shaving is quick and easy once you have your technique down but there is a sort of "zen" you get from the increased concentration you need to survive with a straight. I really enjoy the sort of "time out" I get when I`m so absorbed in using my old straight, I love the whole ritual of honing,stropping & maintaining a straight and all the other paraphenalia associated with straight razors. I just don`t get that feeling with the DEs but I do get fun out of them in a less intense way if you get my meaning....

Stephen.

Welcome. Sounds like you are well on your way to shaving nirvana!! Just remember the joy is in the journey not the destination. Again, welcome.

Top Bottom