What's new

Tried a new synthetic. I now have questions.

After using my Rockwell brush exclusively for what seems like years now I wanted to try a different knot and handle type.

So I got a brush from APShaveCo. Its a 22mm Synbad knot and it is set to either 53 or 55mm loft. Sorry, I lost the email where the exact number was given, I went off his recommended loft size.

So it came in today, and it certainly is softer than the Rockwell( I guess Plissoft style?) knot. Less backbone for sure. However, I quickly learned that even with only a 2mm difference, I needed to load more soap.

The synbad knot seems denser than the Rockwell and along with bigger knot size and lower loft, it is just gonna give a different lather?

Maybe I am used to the 20mm knot with a 60mm loft that makes lather and doesn't really "eat"/ hold onto it.

Is this just the attributes of the setting and knot type for the synbad or will it change a bit when broken in?

Give it a little time and it will be a lather machine!! The Synbad is a very good, very dense knot that has very soft tips with medium backbone. I used one for a while but eventually passed it on to someone that has given it a little more love than I did. What soap are you using at the time being? Remember that you need only to start out with a damp brush for loading the soap. Too many people think because its synthetic it needs to be wringing wet to load, big mistake!!

Give it a little time and it will be a lather machine!! The Synbad is a very good, very dense knot that has very soft tips with medium backbone. I used one for a while but eventually passed it on to someone that has given it a little more love than I did. What soap are you using at the time being? Remember that you need only to start out with a damp brush for loading the soap. Too many people think because its synthetic it needs to be wringing wet to load, big mistake!!
Soap Commander Integrity. I used the same method as I have been doing with my current brush. I dip the brush in the sink and shake off the excess water then load from the container.

Update -
I have been experimenting with different load times and water ratios this morning. So the errors are definitely on my end.

However, I'm thinking that the Rockwell just might suit me better, I prefer the handle shape and since I only do 1 full pass with touch ups I don't really need a larger knot anyway. Plus I just like the loft and backbone of the brush.

I might keep it as a backup or maybe even try selling/trading it on here.

Either way. APShaveCo. is a great site with excellent customer service.

Muhle has a 19mm in STF, I have a 23mm. They are higher lofted brushes. I also have a 20mm G5A from Maggards, but that required a custom handle to work.

Top Bottom