What's new

Tried a new German Beer. [new for me]

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Talking Hefeweizen, then the best for me is Schneider Weisse. This is one of the best, if not the best hefeweizen.
Best you drink it at Schneider's in Tal in Munich....

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Talking Hefeweizen, then the best for me is Schneider Weisse. This is one of the best, if not the best hefeweizen.
Best you drink it at Schneider's in Tal in Munich....

Schneider is excellent! On that trip to Munich that I keep referring to, we went there three times for weisswurst and hefeweizen. Well, Mrs. TL got an Aventinus one of those times, but who's counting?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That is too true. They are excellent for so many reasons.

I have two friends who studied brewing at Weihenstephan. We visited there about 10 years ago.
This post had me looking up German beers. I was amazed at how many health benefits there are.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This post had me looking up German beers. I was amazed at how many health benefits there are.
Absolutely! German beer is brewed according to the "Reinheitsgebot" (purity order or law)- and contains only three ingredients: barley, hops and water...
" Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, market-towns and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water. Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating such barrels of beer, without fail. "

In Germany beer is also considered "liquid bread", so its healthy, no fat, no cholesterol etc...

FarmerTan

Absolutely! German beer is brewed according to the "Reinheitsgebot" (purity order or law)- and contains only three ingredients: barley, hops and water...
" Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, market-towns and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water. Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating such barrels of beer, without fail. "

In Germany beer is also considered "liquid bread", so its healthy, no fat, no cholesterol etc...
I really love a thick, dark, beer. My friend is German, and I told him I like a beer I can "chew." He went to Seminary in Germany and told me that I would fit right in. He also made the "liquid bread" reference!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
German beer is brewed according to the "Reinheitsgebot" (purity order or law)- and contains only three ingredients: barley, hops and water...

Actually, they can contain malted grains (which is how you can have weizens (with malted wheat) and roggenbier (with malted rye)), hops, water, and yeast. Yeast wasn't in the original law because it was before they knew what it was.

FarmerTan

Actually, they can contain malted grains (which is how you can have weizens (with malted wheat) and roggenbier (with malted rye)), hops, water, and yeast. Yeast wasn't in the original law because it was before they knew what it was.
So that law is literally hundreds of years old. We Americans (okay, maybe just me) are so handicapped by being so "relatively" new to the world stage. I'm reading a great book about why our first 4 presidents thought the way they did. "Founding Principles" I think it is. So informative for me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@Wolfgang von Kessler suggested a beer that I might like. Franziskaner.

That's good stuff. I had some at a German restaurant. A restaurant run by first generation Germans to my country not grandkids of of the first generation that perverted things.

The one flaw in your argument: strohs is beer?
My BIL was over for Christmas and I was naming off the various beers I had in the cooler. Similar to this "beer 1, beer 2, beer 3, and if you don't like beer I have Michelob Golden Draft Light." I'm not sure he appreciated my humor.

FarmerTan

That's good stuff. I had some at a German restaurant. A restaurant run by first generation Germans to my country not grandkids of of the first generation that perverted things.

My BIL was over for Christmas and I was naming off the various beers I had in the cooler. Similar to this "beer 1, beer 2, beer 3, and if you don't like beer I have Michelob Golden Draft Light." I'm not sure he appreciated my humor.
The real "Stroh's" was phenomenal. Then Peter Stroh ruined it. Think that was his name.... Anyway, his daughter wrote a book about the screwed up family she grew up in and how he ruined the family cash cow. She's about exactly my age, so listening to her story was really interesting to me, as a born and bred Michigander.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The real "Stroh's" was phenomenal. Then Peter Stroh ruined it. Think that was his name.... Anyway, his daughter wrote a book about the screwed up family she grew up in and how he ruined the family cash cow. She's about exactly my age, so listening to her story was really interesting to me, as a born and bred Michigander.
What time frame was that. I'm not sure I ever tasted "real" Strohs. My first introduction was probably 1987 when the 30 pack suit case was an item. I'm guessing that was after it was ruined? Strohs had a strange sweet taste compared to others at the time.

FarmerTan

What time frame was that. I'm not sure I ever tasted "real" Strohs. My first introduction was probably 1987 when the 30 pack suit case was an item. I'm guessing that was after it was ruined? Strohs had a strange sweet taste compared to others at the time.
I think that was the "original" recipe. No, I think they were bought out by then and no longer "fire brewed" by then. Once the Stroh Family lost majority, as far as I "feel" all bets are off. They sold the name. They could put Clydesdale pee in it and call it beer. But it may have been good, original beer until around '92 as I recall. The book I was talking about I read during the last Covid time, about a year ago, and we all had nothing to do but be on B&B or reading digital books from my local library. It really did grab me; she did a great job for a first time book. It probably didn't hurt that I'd been to a lot of the places in Detroit she mentioned.

You MUST try this if you like wheat beers!
schofferhofer-hefeweizen-wheat-50cl-1513860-s508_e.jpg

IMHO Weihenstephaner is a league above Franziskaner and Paulaner, without the later two being bad ones.
It's a pity hefe's never took off outside Germany.
Seems to me hefe's were all other the place, at least in the Washington, DC area, about 25 years ago, I suppose as a part of an explosion of craft beer interest and availability, and there were a lot of folks ordering them. But unlike IPAs, I would say, did not really catch on long term. I like them all, but I would say I like hefes more than IPAs and they seem more versatile.

Top Bottom