What's new

Tried a new German Beer. [new for me]

@Wolfgang von Kessler suggested a beer that I might like. Franziskaner. Thank you Mr. Kessler! I liked it very much. However my favorite beer is still Maisel Weisse, however I can only get it at a German Store that is about 45 minutes away. My local ABC store can't get it. And that's were I bought the Franziskaner.
Maisel Weisse is different than a lot of the wheat beers that I have tried. It is bottle fermented. It does not have any bitter taste at all. I am not very good at describing taste, but I have heard it described as having a slight citrus taste with notes of banana and cloves. It is a pleasant amber color. A very smooth beer with a very unique taste. I love it so much that I sometimes call it Jesus beer. Because if he showed up at my house, I would offer him one. I think it is that good! I love it. 😍 I am sorry, I kind of got of topic. Anyhow, I can get Franziskaner very easily since the ABC is close to my house. So I will be buying it again! P.S. Maisel is sometimes served with a lemon wedge squeezed in it. I like it that way, but it is great without it as well.
Anyhow, I hope you guys have a great night or day; and thanks for all of the advice that you have given me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Wolfgang von Kessler suggested a beer that I might like. Franziskaner. Thank you Mr. Kessler! I liked it very much. However my favorite beer is still Maisel Weisse, however I can only get it at a German Store that is about 45 minutes away. My local ABC store can't get it. And that's were I bought the Franziskaner.
Maisel Weisse is different than a lot of the wheat beers that I have tried. It is bottle fermented. It does not have any bitter taste at all. I am not very good at describing taste, but I have heard it described as having a slight citrus taste with notes of banana and cloves. It is a pleasant amber color. A very smooth beer with a very unique taste. I love it so much that I sometimes call it Jesus beer. Because if he showed up at my house, I would offer him one. I think it is that good! I love it. 😍 I am sorry, I kind of got of topic. Anyhow, I can get Franziskaner very easily since the ABC is close to my house. So I will be buying it again! P.S. Maisel is sometimes served with a lemon wedge squeezed in it. I like it that way, but it is great without it as well.
Anyhow, I hope you guys have a great night or day; and thanks for all of the advice that you have given me.
My dad used to drink Stroh's beer. The new one is good, but nothing special. He would sometimes put cold tomato juice in it.

Anyone else try that? I've never had the guts! Why ruin a beer?

Not sorry for the thread derail! It's what I do; it's a gift!

My dad used to drink Stroh's beer. The new one is good, but nothing special. He would sometimes put cold tomato juice in it.

Tomato juice! But then again, I have never tried it. By the way Farmer Tan; I was just thinking of you and a few others that requested photos of my models. I figured out how to do this at last. I posted it the Darkroom section. Please check it out if you like.
I will post more soon, when I can use my roommates smartphone. I have some tank models and a dragon model. The thread title is Photos of B 17 "Memphis Belle" It was a very old kit. Lots of filling wing gaps with putty,etc. But my brother loved it. He really liked the bullet holes,black exhaust streaks and faded paint.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love a good hefeweizen! Franziskaner, Paulaner, and Weihenstephaner are excellent German ones that I can get around here. The Live Oak brewery in Austin also brews an excellent one.

Tomato juice! But then again, I have never tried it. By the way Farmer Tan; I was just thinking of you and a few others that requested photos of my models. I figured out how to do this at last. I posted it the Darkroom section. Please check it out if you like.
I will post more soon, when I can use my roommates smartphone. I have some tank models and a dragon model. The thread title is Photos of B 17 "Memphis Belle" It was a very old kit. Lots of filling wing gaps with putty,etc. But my brother loved it. He really liked the bullet holes,black exhaust streaks and faded paint.

ages ago, we had family who lived in Lincoln Nebraska and ( as I recall ) the university there (UNL) had a team slogan which was something like “go big red” ... the practical upshot of that was the undergrads drank some weird tomato juice beer concoction at their local bars. I am sure I tried it .. but I have no recollection of what it was like ( probably for good reason ;) )

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Geez, guys. A derail is one thing, but on the first reply and then just on and on as if the OP didn't even say anything?

I grew up in the Midwest and we called that a "red beer". I'm no fan of tomatoes but I have had more than a few red-beers. Where I came from (Kansas) a red beer was something one would normally have one, maybe two of, just to switch off from whatever regular beer you were having be it Michelob, Coors, Budweiser, etc.

Then I got old(er), the microbrew revolution happened and we're all better off for it.

FarmerTan

I love a good hefeweizen! Franziskaner, Paulaner, and Weihenstephaner are excellent German ones that I can get around here. The Live Oak brewery in Austin also brews an excellent one.
I have no idea if these beers qualify, but Aldi's (which is a grocery chain out of Canada) in my area carry a bunch of different beers in 6 packs that are described as German. Michigan has a BUNCH of craft beer makers, and I suppose a bunch of them use old German recipes? I always liked DARK beers. You could chew those beers. It was like a liquid meal.

FarmerTan

Ahh I found a link to this weirdness:
I wonder if my dad used it for hangovers?!? He quit drinking when I was under 10, so I figured everybody's dad was drunk all the time. Which begs the question, did he ever have a hangover?

Thanks for the link, I will definitely be trying it. 2 parts beer, I part tomato juice! I only have one beer, maybe 2, so I don't need a hangover cure, but that looks really good to me.

Geez, guys. A derail is one thing, but on the first reply and then just on and on as if the OP didn't even say anything?
Maybe they were drinking! Like I am right now. 😜 But it is just Coors and Whiskey
Maybe they have been drinking, and don't know what they are doing! 😁 Tonight I am drinking Coors and Whiskey and Mountain Dew. I think Coors is a decent beer. Of course YMMV. It Is no Maisel of course.

FarmerTan

Maybe they were drinking! Like I am right now. 😜 But it is just Coors and Whiskey

Maybe they have been drinking, and don't know what they are doing! 😁 Tonight I am drinking Coors and Whiskey and Mountain Dew. I think Coors is a decent beer. Of course YMMV. It Is no Maisel of course.
I never would have thought of Whiskey and Mountain Dew! Has this been around for awhile? Back when I was drinking the hard stuff (pre 85?) I'd never seen it done. Of course, I wasn't exactly hanging out with the higher class of losers like I am now!

• Haha
Reactions: Avi
I never would have thought of Whiskey and Mountain Dew! Has this been around for awhile? Back when I was drinking the hard stuff (pre 85?) I'd never seen it done. Of course, I wasn't exactly hanging out with the higher class of losers like I am now!
How about Jim Beam Vanilla mixed with orange soda! Mix it to your taste. But I think It taste great.

OMG! You crack me up! The mountain dew mixed with whiskey is good! …...As long as I don't place any orders for more shave stuff on the internet! 😁

OMG! You crack me up! The mountain dew mixed with whiskey is good! …...As long as I don't place any orders for more shave stuff on the internet! 😁

Red Bull vodka was the kid's version of this - with similar intent ;) I was half convinced Red Bull was designed as a mixer given its viscosity!

Wait I mean theoretically!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Whisky and Mt Dew has been around a while, at least the 50’s. I have an old bar book published in 1957 that has Mt. Dew listed as a mixer. I heard from a totally unreliable source that Mt. Dew was actually originally made as a mixer for whisky.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Spent a fw evenings in the Franziskaner beer hall in Munich. Great place full of locals, unlike the Hofbrauhaus!

We took a trip to Munich and Stuttgart about 10 years ago. Much of our days (and nights) in Munich consisted of walking from one biergarten or hall to another!

IMHO Weihenstephaner is a league above Franziskaner and Paulaner, without the later two being bad ones.
It's a pity hefe's never took off outside Germany.

Top Bottom