What's new

Tried a Gem Single Edge...

I tried a Gem single edge tonight and WOW!!! Let me say it again...WOW!!! It is the best shave ever. No nicks, no nothing...just plains smoothness!

My set up:
Gem Single Edged Razor
Gem Single Edged Blade
Ever-ready brush with synthetic knot
C.O. Bigleow Cream
Witch Hazel
Jergans Lotion

Awesome!!! Does this mean that I can prepare for straights now??? I so want to graduate up to straights!

I tried a Gem single edge tonight and WOW!!! Let me say it again...WOW!!! It is the best shave ever. No nicks, no nothing...just plains smoothness!

My set up:
Gem Single Edged Razor
Gem Single Edged Blade
Ever-ready brush with synthetic knot
C.O. Bigleow Cream
Witch Hazel
Jergans Lotion

Awesome!!! Does this mean that I can prepare for straights now??? I so want to graduate up to straights!

Which Gem? I tried a G-Bar with the legendary Ted Pella blades and really roughed myself up. I just never could seem to get the hand of the SE.

I don't know. I tried a gold Gem push-button today for the first time with Ted Pella blades and in three passes had a BBS shave. I'd put that combo on par with my Futur, but lighter.

Awesome!!

I own 4 Gems, and they all give wonderful close shaves.

There is a bit of a learning curve, some of my worst cuts ever were inflicted by a Gem. :eek:

My #1 piece of advice for using a Gem: take it slow, don't try to speed shave with it.

If you get sloppy/ casual with it, the inflexible blade will simply mow down anything in it's path, including bumps, pimples, and scabs. Ouch!!

~John~

Is the GEM 1912 thus named because it was a model # or was it the year the razor was produced?

The 1912 refers to the patent date of this razor model. There weren't date codes on this model, so it's pretty hard to pinpoint when the 1912's were made, and they were made for a number of years.

Thank you for the help with this. :) I do not have the nerve to try it yet. I have sensitive skin and I hear the 1912 can be rather harsh, yet shaves very well. :)

I could feel the blade. I have a slight bit of irritation so I need to work on my technique but all in all...wonderful shave. It is a different bird that is for sure.

V

VR6ofpain

It is a 1912 Gem. That is all I know about it.

The 1912 is the best GEM. Shaves super smooth and extremely close. The only thing comparible is the Featherweight. I had two G-Bar's and sold them both. They were inferior to the Featherweight, and neither compares to the 1912.

I see GEMs all over at the antique stores in my end of PA but never picked one up. Maybe I'll look into it, hmm...

Well, I tried it again tonight. I got the same awesome results but have irritation and a few cuts to go with it. I think I got over confident!!! That and perhaps I still need to perfect my lathering with tallow. I should stick to lathering I know when trying a new razor. Lesson learned! Good save overall though. Not bad irritation just enough to be annoying.

Well, I tried it again tonight. I got the same awesome results but have irritation and a few cuts to go with it. I think I got over confident!!! That and perhaps I still need to perfect my lathering with tallow. I should stick to lathering I know when trying a new razor. Lesson learned! Good save overall though. Not bad irritation just enough to be annoying.

It's great to hear you are making progress!!

~John~

Top Bottom