What's new

Tried a Feather DE blade in my Ever Ready

I had to try it. For science!

The results were interesting. It was a ridiculously comfortable and close shave.

Right up until I slapped the AS on and realized it was extremely TOO close. I had one weeper around a blemish, and I had one patch that was sort of pre-weeper. Both calmed down fairly quickly so there was no long term damage, and some hours later it mostly feels fine.

In the defense of the Feather blade while I wasn’t exactly cavalier I also wasn’t exactly cautious. I treated it like a typical shave and I suspect I needed to be a little lighter on my neck. I have easily done the same thing with a DE.

I’m trying again tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Timely subject for me...
I tried a Feather in my ATT Windsor 0.40mm base plate last night. 2 pass shave ended with one weeper but an excellent DFS.

Tonight, caution to the wind, I'm going with the 0.80 base plate. Before the Feather I used Astra SP and never got a weeper, even with the 0.80mm base plate.

Taking it nice and easy. I found that instead of long strokes, short strokes make more sense with this razor blade.

Just so I can make sure I am not thinking of this wrong. You put the DE blade in the SE razor.

If that is the situation, it is intriguing and makes me want to try my favorite Shark blade in my SE stuff.

KM

I just realized that this was a SE razor. Holy cow! I would think the thickness of the DE blade, as compared to the SE blade, would not allow the top to lock the blade in properly.

Just so I can make sure I am not thinking of this wrong. You put the DE blade in the SE razor.

If that is the situation, it is intriguing and makes me want to try my favorite Shark blade in my SE stuff.

KM

Yeah. In my 1912, if I snap a DE in half, it sits in the blade stops for the SE blade, and the top cap snaps onto it and holds it down fairly well. I say fairly because I did try a Gillette Wilkinson Sword in it earlier this week that would not stay in place ( it kept trying to back up away from the comb ). I suspect I just misloaded it somehow, though. Both this Feather and an earlier Derby USTA blade have sat in the 1912 rock steady.

Not every SE will hold a snapped DE so you may have to research.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Will not work or even close on a Micromatic with the blade tabs intact and frightening without blade tabs.

Top Bottom