What's new

Tried a Derby Extra again

I have never had a problem with Derby Blades. Then again, I rarely have a problem with any blade.

I've just finished testing the Derby Extra Stainless Steel blades through my standard 4-shave test. This was in my 1957 Gillette Red Tip. My standard shave is 3.5 passes: one with the grain, one across the grain going outside to in, one against the grain, then one-half of a pass on the neck going across the grain going inside to out. I use TOBS and T&H creams. I only use a blade four times as a rule.

My results were good to excellent, depending on the shave. The first two shaves were excellent, resulting in a BBS or near-BBS shave. The second two were just good, with some remaining roughness in places. However, the blade never really felt like it was cutting smoothly. I didn't get weepers in out-of-the-ordinary places. It just never felt as smooth a shave as other blades while I was using it.

In the end, I'll use the rest of the pack that I received in my sampler, but I don't think I'll buy more of them. The results just didn't warrant using them on a regular basis.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have around 260 of the old style packaging most dislike but they work for me and I use them regularly.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I’ve sung their praises before, but the Derby Extras oddly underperformed for me in the Tradere! The razor seemed especially sensitive to less-sharp blades, and I ended up nicking myself more than once with the Derby Extras.

No problems with either of my other razors though, odd. Just goes to show you that combinations don’t always end predictably.

I bought these because I have a juvenile oppositional attitude towards advice and was translating “these are dull” to “these are smooth” given my initial (in)experience with DE and feathers and my (simultaneously inconsistent and ) terrible theory all blades are the same and you guys are making this up ( also so cheap). Sadly I was wrong, they are weirdly tuggy in a way that makes them really hard to use. I’ll revisit them in 6 months or so, but easily the worst. Mine were bought recently from amazon but are old vertical ones.

regards,
avi

I tried a pre 2017 derby blade last Wednesday that came with the EJ Kelvin that I ordered off Amazon. I wasn’t impressed with the derby’s performance. I might have to try a post 2017 derby soon

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They need a rigid design to get the most from. Using one in my R41 was a complete and utter failure. In my Fatip Grande however, they're a top 3 blade.

My 7am Hi Platinum blade finally played out (at 80 shaves) last week, so I decided to try a Derby Extra again, this time from a blue pack and with my rather fright producing German bakelite slant of no name.

Super easy, smooth, and close shave, no weepers. Razor is super light in the hand, and the Derby magically wiped the whiskers off almost without the sensation of blade on skin. Quite a difference from the one I tried a couple years ago, I felt like I needed both hands to drag that one through my beard!

Still pretty smooth at 6 pm to after a 9 am shave (not working today, only going in two days a week due to coronavirus concerns).

I might like these blades after all! A few directional things to work out with the razor, but in spite of the appearance, it's pretty mild. Looks like s false move and you'd lose an chunk of flesh, but in use it's nice.

can you tell me more about those 7am Hi Platinum ?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I loaded a Derby Premium in my EJ Chatsworth. Will give it another shot.

Shave #4 this morning, no issues with the Extra blades ever !
IMG_0004.JPG

I got the 7am's just for fun as they were cheap. Turned out to be a pretty good blade. I prefer platinum coated blades, they stay comfortable longer for me. Not sure where they are made, probably Pakistan.

Not quite a Personna Blue, but a very nice blade.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I recently opened a pack (for the first time in a while) and wondered why I didn't do it more often. OK they only last 3 shaves, but they are smooth.
I have recently converted my 2 sons to DE (they are just starting) gave both of them Derby Extra and Derby Premium and they both found them much smoother than Wilkinson Sword

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I recently opened a pack (for the first time in a while) and wondered why I didn't do it more often. OK they only last 3 shaves, but they are smooth.
I have recently converted my 2 sons to DE (they are just starting) gave both of them Derby Extra and Derby Premium and they both found them much smoother than Wilkinson Sword

You should try the Derby Usta if you get a chance. Better than either one of the other Derby's in my opinion. YMMV.

Way too dull,tons of better blades on market,even the new ones that are improved or whatever suck.I havent tried usta or premium versions,just extra.

Hmmm...I just got finished trying another Derby Extra through a four-shave test and this one was outstanding. I'll have to see how it goes with the rest of the pack. Perhaps quality control is questionable?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Perhaps quality control is questionable?

Not in my experience. I've been using them often for over 3 years and each blade has been consistent to the next. Thats one reason they're a top 3 blade for me. They always perform the same.

Top Bottom