What's new

Trick or Treet Week

Trick or Treet week, Tuesday, OCtober 25th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Slant- Mfg 2019> aggressive range, excellent design for result driven folks like myself, I use a steep approach angle(riding the bar) with a short handle with a light touch will give stellar shaves with good mature technique + no plucking of razor at start of a stroke. Lots of blade feel for folks who enjoy that, by riding the bar gives the person a adjustable razor on the fly with you adjusting as you shave by blade feel or known beard areas of concern when to back off of the blade exposure feel IMO. A very enjoyable shave this morning.
Blade : Treet Carbon, Sharp and smooth, 2nd shave so longevity unknown. The blade shaves different than my Stainless steel blades for sure. My stubble is dry and tougher with onslaught of winter I have noticed. First snow in Northern Alberta Canada -3C.
Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with some of the best qualities lathers I have used. Triple milled, I take my pocket knife and slice some slivers off and press into bowl the way I prefer to use it this way. Excellent soap IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "rainbow" 26mm brown whiskers synthetic, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Fine Fresh Vetiver:001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Slant with a Treet carbon blade (different experience). Carbon steel blades is all the old timers used for decades.
View attachment 1545522
Have some great shaves!
-3° already damn. Still +16° here in midwestern Ontario.

Long night at work, got all the bird feeders filled and up finally this morning. The grackles have finally moved on!
Nice shave before bed.
Razor: Super Speed
Blade: Treet Platinum
Brush: Omega 10019 boar
starting to break-in nicely
Soap: Arko!
A/S: RR XXX splash and Nivea cool
Beer: Miller Lite

20221025_104126.jpg

20220815_083250.jpg

Razor: Merkur Progress 500
Blade: Treet Black Beauty carbon steel
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Hunting Lodge
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
These are good blades and I'm glad I went for the 100 pack for a couple bucks more. They have a similar feel to the Pal SE blades I have been using lately which are also carbon steel. I wonder if these are a tiny bit thicker than a SS blade?

BFA75C34-3438-4539-97D3-991443A0F8A2.jpeg

Halloween Week / Trick or Treet Week / OCtober

Prep: P.A.A. Cube 2.0

Razor: Gillette Razor (Old Type 102A) aka Brownie
Blade: Treet Classic

Soap: Barrister & Mann Four Horsemen - Famine
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Post 3: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

If you know me or follow my shave of the day posts, you'll know that I really like themes. What can i say? I think it just make shaving that much more fun. So now that we're here at Halloween Week I can't help myself but go all in.

As you can see I'm clearly a cereal monster and a fan of Halloween so I had to include a picture with some of my monsters cereal merchandise. The 50th anniversary box on the right was from last year. I'm not sure where I put last year's Boo Berry box but these ones still rock.

In honor of this classic and iconic cereal series I went with an equally classic and iconic razor, the original Gillette Razor affectionately known as an "Old Type" and/or "Brownie". This razor was the bread and butter of Gillette's master plan of selling razor blades.

Continuing with my love for participating in themes I paired my razor with a Treet Classic (Hi Tech Steel) blade. This blade did its job well today and I look forward to using it again. I have no complaints.

Protection for today's shave was brought to me by Famine from Barrister & Mann. The omnibus base did its job reliably and the scent is just a real gem. Of the Four Horsemen series, Famine is my favorite.

I did a three-pass shave with some against the grain buffing and ended up with a very smooth DFS++.

No aftershave was used today. Just the staple post shave care items were used. Which is fine, because I can still smell the soap on me.

All in all another great shave was had here at the start of Halloween Week. I want to encourage you fine gentlemen to break out from your norm and get in on some Halloween shave fun.

That's it for today. More fun to come, soon.

Rock on and enjoy your shaves gentlemen.

Last edited:
I started my Treet week with a yellow Durasharp in a Red Tip. One side of the blade felt great, smooth, sharp and had no hesitation mowing down my stubble. The other side was ok-ish. However, I had a bunch of weepers all over. The end result was really feeling good once the bleeding stopped! The weird thing was that later in the day, my stubble felt more harsh than typical. Very rough feeling.

Shave #2 with the same razor and blade combo was much worse. One edge felt ok, one was rough and tuggy. Had a bunch more weepers. I didn't even finish shaving like I normally would. Done with this blade.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Trick-or-Treet week, OCtober 26th 2022

Razor : Yaqi The final Cut adjustable- Mfg 2021> excellent adjustable, seems well built and designed for taking Standard Gillette blades. I get stellar performance with this razor mostly + affordable.
Blade : Treet carbon steel (2.5) 1st shave sharp & smooth & 2nd shave still reasonable but not as sharp as 1st shave but acceptable, 3rd start of shave it started to fall off so changed out for my started Gillette 7oClock SP. Tough old beard for these winter months has started it seems. Prep is going to be important if it stays a dry cold winter that has been forecasted.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier- nice Musk scented soap with excellent lather qualities. Designed for Yaqi by Master soap creations S.A.
Brush : Yaqi "Bali"24mm silver tip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Witch hazel beard cleanse + Yaqi Musketeer Rapier + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs+ no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC adjustable with a Treet & 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD October 26 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
20220816_080447.jpg

Razor: Barbasol Bakelite handle, NFH
Blade: Treet Black Beauty carbon steel
Brush: Teton Shaves Zen Series, Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Tobacco Leaf
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented

Trick or Treet 🎃, Day 3, Shave 2
Razor: Fatip Grande Gentile
Blade: Treet Platinum (2)
Pre: Proraso Green
Soap: Omega
Brush: Omega boar
A/S: Pinaud Clubman + Nivea balm

All the same lineup as before with results of a bloodbath that Hitchcock would approve of. Overall 2/10. All of the bad of the first shave with almost none of the good. This blade is duller than first shave and just not a pleasant experience. I retired the blade and had to run a second pass with a cartridge to look acceptable for a meeting today. A/S burn was greater to boot. Will try a new blade to see if that improves the experience. I want to like this blade but it's just not happening yet. Packaging is a great touch and well done. Orange around the logo is a nice touch; but a good shave has been hard to come by.

Trick or Treet week shave:
The humble carbon-steel Treet Classic, on its first shave in my 1956 Super Speed Red Tip
IMG_9665.jpg

The Treats
The shave was quick and enjoyable through two passes. I could have stopped with a near-DFS. Seemed sharper than some of its peer lower-tier carbon-steel Treets (Super Power, New Edge, black beauty), which isn't something I've noticed before. Shaved mustache area with relative ease.

The Tricks
Like every Treet in this razor, it didn't quite get me BBS on the regular passes, so I had plenty of cleanup strokes. Those left me with some irritation and weepers, especially on the neck. Starting to feel a little irritation post-shave in the mustache as well, but no biggie.

This blade has averaged two shaves in the three previous razors I've tested it in at the Carbon Forest of Treets. That seems reasonable for its longevity in the Red Tip, but we'll see.

Top Bottom