What's new

Tribute to My Mom

Just got my order of Stirling Soaps' Weekend In Malibu delivered today. My Mom has been gone for 10 years now, but the scent would be something she'd be enthralled with.
When I was a kid in SoCal, Mom grew flowers in the borders surrounding the periphery of the back yard. Roses, Carnations, Snap Dragons and California Poppies grew in the sunny side of the garden. Along the west side of the house, mostly in the shade, she grew the "Special" flowers that took a little extra care (and I was tasked with watering them): Iris, Daffodils, Calla Lilies, Night-Blooming Jasmine, Holly and others. It was colorful, and in the hottest summer days, the water mist provided respite from the summer heat, cooling down that part of the yard.
Then we moved to Ohio when I was in High School. Roses grew, but nothing else could match those "Special" flowers.
I grew up, married & bought an old house near Dayton Ohio. Mom hated the place. It was 60 years old and needed a lot of yard work.
Under the condensation drain for a basement window air conditioner was a bed of low-growing plants. I was about to rake them up & tear them out, when my Parents decided to visit for the weekend. Those little plants bloomed - right around Easter. Mom about cried when I told I was gonna tear them out. They were Lily of the Valley & she had spent a lifetime trying to get some to grow. Her grandmother grew them during the Depression, and she had tried ever since, to grow her own. Eventually she got her own patch of them - and when done right, they grow like weeds, dense & thick, thriving thru the neglect of wintertime underneath heavy snow. When they bloomed, it is what I'd imagine Heaven smells like (adjacent to the Mesquite BBQ smoke).
Reading the scent ingredients for the Malibu Soap, I noticed it contains Lily of the Valley. The scent was unmistakable, and unique, but doesn't remind me of the Malibu I knew growing up.
So the soap: It's typical Sterling Soap, which means it lathers rich & dense. It has a residual slickness many other spendier soaps lack. The scent outlasts the shave, too.
Easter is upon us & this smells like Easter.

Mom would be pleased.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Touching story, I always think of my mother when I see what I call wild Easter lilies about this time of year. She passed in 2006 and I remember picking some for her when I was a kid in the '60s for Mother's Day.

They haven't bloomed yet this year here in California.

I could have done without the review on the slickness of the actual soap. lol
I enjoy flowers more than most. The memory of a scent and the beauty of a rose or a hydrangea or lilac will always bring a smile to my face. B&Ms 42 does this for me. Petunias have a wonderfully unique smell to em. In 42 I can taste the heavenly memory bitter tea my great grandmother would make for me. I would mow her lawn go inside and have a cup of English tea. She appreciated our tea time so much that when my brothers would visit she would call them by my name. I still drink dark tea out of one of her tea cups ever now and then, without milk. That’s a bit to English for me.

Beautiful story, thank you for sharing your memories. I talk to my parents at least once a week and will definitely be calling my mom today after reading that.

Just got my order of Stirling Soaps' Weekend In Malibu delivered today. My Mom has been gone for 10 years now, but the scent would be something she'd be enthralled with.
When I was a kid in SoCal, Mom grew flowers in the borders surrounding the periphery of the back yard. Roses, Carnations, Snap Dragons and California Poppies grew in the sunny side of the garden. Along the west side of the house, mostly in the shade, she grew the "Special" flowers that took a little extra care (and I was tasked with watering them): Iris, Daffodils, Calla Lilies, Night-Blooming Jasmine, Holly and others. It was colorful, and in the hottest summer days, the water mist provided respite from the summer heat, cooling down that part of the yard.
Then we moved to Ohio when I was in High School. Roses grew, but nothing else could match those "Special" flowers.
I grew up, married & bought an old house near Dayton Ohio. Mom hated the place. It was 60 years old and needed a lot of yard work.
Under the condensation drain for a basement window air conditioner was a bed of low-growing plants. I was about to rake them up & tear them out, when my Parents decided to visit for the weekend. Those little plants bloomed - right around Easter. Mom about cried when I told I was gonna tear them out. They were Lily of the Valley & she had spent a lifetime trying to get some to grow. Her grandmother grew them during the Depression, and she had tried ever since, to grow her own. Eventually she got her own patch of them - and when done right, they grow like weeds, dense & thick, thriving thru the neglect of wintertime underneath heavy snow. When they bloomed, it is what I'd imagine Heaven smells like (adjacent to the Mesquite BBQ smoke).
Reading the scent ingredients for the Malibu Soap, I noticed it contains Lily of the Valley. The scent was unmistakable, and unique, but doesn't remind me of the Malibu I knew growing up.
So the soap: It's typical Sterling Soap, which means it lathers rich & dense. It has a residual slickness many other spendier soaps lack. The scent outlasts the shave, too.
Easter is upon us & this smells like Easter.

Mom would be pleased.
Thanks for the story. I'm glad that the soap brings a good memory and hope you have a happy Easter.

Terrific story, thanks for sharing & brings back memories. My mom grew (or rather, had the kids plant, she hated gardening) Lilies of The Valley at our childhood home, and I took some to plant at my new house when I bought it. We also had six rose bushes leading up the walkway to the house, 3 on each side. I remember infestation years in the 70s where we'd catch thousands of Japanese Beetles in those bags.

Top Bottom