What's new

Triangular handle shaving brush?

Got myself a Nom "Carl" the other day. The handle is a rounded triangular taper, which seems to give a good grip with [thumb / forefinger / the rest] on the three sides.

Anyone know of any other shaving brushes with a triangular section handle?

Thanks for the responses so far (particularly Rudy in this context - it's a bit like posting a thread on physics and getting a contribution from Isaac Newton...).

My Balea is three-sided.
That Balea is actually a NOM Carl. Balea is a DM drugstores brand across Europe. They used to have a Balea triangular handle boar and a triangular pure badger, but I think both are no longer available (as Balea). Only a synthetic black fibre triangular is currently sold.

That Balea is actually a NOM Carl. Balea is a DM drugstores brand across Europe. They used to have a Balea triangular handle boar and a triangular pure badger, but I think both are no longer available (as Balea). Only a synthetic black fibre triangular is currently sold.

And the cheap boar with a blue handle (the synthetic's handle is grey).

Attachments

• FD001125-3C8A-4C6E-8352-92852F192C49.jpeg
    FD001125-3C8A-4C6E-8352-92852F192C49.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 10
badger2.jpg

And here is the Balea badger (also made by Muhle). Not sure it is still available as Balea though. It hasn't been available in the 2 local DM stores for more than a year. I also checked the German onlline store, but no badger there as well.

Thanks for the responses so far (particularly Rudy in this context - it's a bit like posting a thread on physics and getting a contribution from Isaac Newton...).

Rudy understands the gravity of the situation - shaving brushes are a serious matter!

I'm guessing that polygon shapes are less popular because they are much harder to make? Cylinder shapes can be made on a lathe. Once you add flutes and flats unless the bar stock already has them (like hexagon) then it requires an additional set up operation and probably a mill. The Balea looks injection molded so if you make a lot of them they can be quite cheap to produce. Functional but no "craftsmanship" in the artisan sense - just good solid production engineering. It probably works as well as any shaving brush though.

You mean as any decent shaving brush. I just remembered a conversation with an acqaintance years ago. He just stated something like "It's just a shaving brush, it is supposed to do the job." I asked him what brush is he using. After I saw what he uses, I decided it wasn't worth it continuing the topic. It was one of those nasty synths that cost 1,20 EUR. Even my smallest Omega boar is like 5 levels above.

Top Bottom