What's new

Trendkill's Soap Journal

:thumbup1: The Thayers not only smells good, it works really well too. The C&S #88 has a rose scent I take it? If that is the case I may have to end this purchasing sabbatical and pick some up when my taxes come in.

The Thayer's Rose is a little soft and almost powdery, but I DO like using it, especially if I have just shaved with some SCS Savory Rose, but I ALSO have the SCS SR splash and milk, so the Thayer's has been relegated to the role of "occasional refresher". If you're looking for a good, true rose note on the cheap, I heartily recommend the SCS line. Also Trumper's Rose and (in cream) TOBS.

C&S #88 is rose(ish), but has a lot more complexity to it than just floral rosiness. I like to think of it as the sum total of all the componentry "suggesting" roses, but there's also a woody, greeny, musty sort of charachter to it. It's very much a "love it or hate it" scent, and one that not every dude can pull off being comfortable sporting, but it's really one to try. Skip the shave soap though, and go straight to the cologne. The soap doesn't smell anything like the fragrance, and is horribly overpriced. It's a tallow based soap though and is a good performer, but there are more reasonable options out there.

Last edited:
Great reviews. I too started with Creams and thought they were the end all be all, but after trying a few soaps the past week my opinion is changing.

The Thayer's Rose is a little soft and almost powdery, but I DO like using it, especially if I have just shaved with some SCS Savory Rose, but I ALSO have the SCS SR splash and milk, so the Thayer's has been relegated to the role of "occasional refresher". If you're looking for a good, true rose note on the cheap, I heartily recommend the SCS line. Also Trumper's Rose and (in cream) TOBS.

C&S #88 is rose(ish), but has a lot more complexity to it than just floral rosiness. I like to think of it as the sum total of all the componentry "suggesting" roses, but there's also a woody, greeny, musty sort of charachter to it. It's very much a "love it or hate it" scent, and one that not every dude can pull off being comfortable sporting, but it's really one to try. Skip the shave soap though, and go straight to the cologne. The soap doesn't smell anything like the fragrance, and is horribly overpriced. It's a tallow based soap though and is a good performer, but there are more reasonable options out there.

Thanks for the info. I have a couple SCS soaps and I like them a lot. Obtaining the whole line would not kill my wallet either.

Maybe next week you could do a week of SCS! I just used the Bay Rum and BR balm today myself.

I will consider it. I haven't used my EF in a while and I think it's about time. I think I'm going to get in touch with Sue and see if I can't get some Savory Rose Products here by Monday. I'll keep you posted.

Week 2 - Shave 3

Prep: White Rain Conditioner - Shower

The Soap Opera Glycerine with Aloe Vera
Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Bic Metal
Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

This is a new soap I got in Madison today for about $4. I swirled my brush on the puck for about 30 seconds and it provided more than enough lather for two passes (WTG, XTG). I could have done a three pass shave but I have an appointment in the AM, and I'll need to shave again, so I didn't go all out. This soap lathered up easily, provided adequate cushion, and was plenty slick. The scent was pretty mild and was gone after I rinsed my face off. Overall, this soap wasn't too bad. I'll have to give this a few more tries.

Week 2 - Shave 4

Arko Stick
T&H (Re-branded Rooney) Large Silvertip
Trac II
Thayers Original Witch Hazel
Gentlemen's Best AS (Milk)

Applied stick liberally to my soaking wet face. I do not squeeze my brush out to the point that it is almost dry when using sticks. I like to leave a little water in the brush so I can get my lather going a little better. After working the soap into my beard for about a minute, I dipped the tips in hot water and began my usual lathering routine (see post #1). A couple minutes later, my face and brush were covered with some of the best lather I've ever produced. Another DFS after three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG). It had great cushion and was very slick. I've noticed that the scent tends to put some people off, but not me. I think it has a subtle citrus scent that disappears very quickly after a good rinse. I've used this soap twice now, and the results have been outstanding. Definitely a keeper, and cheap too!

Last edited:
Week 2 - Shave 5

VDH Delux/Select scented with Floid Suave (smells very nice)
Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Trac II
Clubman AS Lotion
Nivea AS Balm

Loaded the brush for about 30 seconds and started my usual lathering routine. I've used this stuff plenty of times before and I'm always impressed with the lather I get. Good cushion, nice and slick, and the scent was pretty good too :biggrin1: I completed my usual three passes (WTG, XTG, XTG) and had another DFS. I highly recommend this soap to all beginners. It's cheap and it performs. This is a good soap to work on your technique before you take the plunge and buy a $20 puck. While this won't see a regular spot in my rotation, the fact that it performs well, and I can find it locally is enough for me to revisit this from time to time.

Week 2 - Shave 6

Prep - Suave Conditioner - Shower

Penhaligon's English Fern (tallow)
Trac II
Irisch Moos AS (splash)
Nivea AS Balm

Loaded my brush for 30 seconds and followed my usual lathering routine. Easily had enough lather for three passes (WTG, XTG, XTG) which resulted in a DFS. EF (tallow) has a reputation for being a top notch soap and I can't dispute it. Slick, cushiony lather that smells great is what you'll get every time. I know this soap is only available in it's new form, but if you can get a hold of the old formulation, do it.

Week 2 - Shave 7

Prep: Pantene Conditioner - Shower

Provence Sante Green Tea
Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Trac II

Loaded brush for about 30 seconds and followed my normal lathering routine. It's so easy to build lather with this stuff. Plenty of cushion and very slick. Another DFS after three passes (WTG, XTG, XTG). I'm not sure how to describe the scent (sweet?) but it's really nice. I still have a few other French soaps to try and I hope they are as good as this and Cade.

Week 3 - Shave 1

Prep - White Rain Conditioner - Shower

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Feather Portable W/ Feather Blade (2)
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Nivea AS Balm

This soap is notorious for being tough to lather, but a little practice with it and I think that a very nice lather can be achieved. I loaded my brush for about 45 seconds, maybe more. With my face soaking wet, I went at it with my usual lathering routine. I got a nice lather out of it (could be better) and proceeded with my usual three pass shave (WTG, XTG, XTG). The lather was cushiony, fairly slick, and the scent was pleasant. I managed to get a DFS, but it came at a cost. My face started itching really bad and I had some nice red spots on my face. I don't know for sure, but it may be the lanolin that caused this. I can see how this soap could be very good once you figure it out, but I can't handle it. YMMV.

Week 3 - Shave 2

L'Occitane Cade
Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Feather Portable W/ Iridium
Thayers Original Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Cade AS Balm

Loaded my brush for 30 seconds and then followed my usual lathering routine. Easily produced enough lather for 4 passes (WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG) which resulted in another DFS, almost BBS with no irritation. This soap produces such a luxurious, slick, and protective lather with almost no effort. I have only used this soap twice, but it has been outstanding both times. Highly recommended!

Week 3 - Shave 3

Prep: facial scrub, conditioner, shower

Provence Sante Green Tea
Feather Portable W/ Iridium (2)
SCS Savory Rose AS Milk

Loaded my brush for 30 seconds. Face lathered the way I always do, and easily made enough lather for 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG). No trouble generating a great smelling, slick, protective lather. I have to say that Cade produces a little better lather, but not by much. This soap is definitely a keeper.

Top Bottom