What's new

Trendkill's Soap Journal

Hi, my name is Joshua, and I'm a shaveaholic! I started out with creams and had great experiences with CO Bigelow, The 3 T's, and others. I started using soaps a while back and have come to enjoy them quite a bit. So much, in fact, that I don't have much of an interest to go back to creams. I find soaps to be better for my skin and provide the cushion and glide that I'm looking for. It doesn't hurt that triple milled soaps will last quite a while either :thumbup:

My goal here is to use one soap for an entire week (at least six shaves) and share the results so that it may help you and myself. I will use two different brushes and two different razors. I will experiment with brush loading time, face lathering time (only way I lather), and how much water I add to the brush. I intend to do this with every soap I own (10?). Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Week 1 - Shave 1

AOS Unscented
Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Trac II
Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

Soaked brush and left a thin layer of hot water on soap while I showered. I squeezed the brush firmly and shook it twice. I dumped the remaining water off the soap and loaded the brush for 30 seconds using occasional plunging motions. I proceeded to lather my soaking wet face for about 1 minute and then dipped the tips of my brush in hot water. I then worked on building lather on the right side of my face and neck for about 45 seconds. I dipped the tips of my brush in hot water again and started building lather on the left side of my face and neck for another 45 seconds. My last step was dipping my brush one last time and mixing the lather on my entire face and neck. 3 passes later (WTG, XTG, XTG) with my Trac II and I had a DFS.

This has the makings of a very good soap.

Last edited:
Week 1 - Shave 2

Prep: Shower with Suave conditioner covering beard area. (approx. 3 minutes)

AOS Unscented
T&H (Re-branded Rooney) Large Silvertip
Trac II

Post shower prep was the same as shave 1.

I loaded my brush for 20 seconds today instead of 30. I face lathered the way I did with the previous shave, but the lather was starting to thin out a little on the third pass. No cause for concern as I achieved a DFS with three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG). However, loading for 30 seconds gave me adequate lather for three passes yesterday so I think I'll stay with that time.

No real complaints about this soap so far. I hope it remains that way.

Week 1 - Shave 3

Prep: Suave conditioner

AOS Unscented
Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Feather Portable with new Feather blade

Identical prep and lathering as shave 1. I used a Feather Portable today instead of the Trac II and got another DFS with three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG). I'm finding that this soap is very easy to lather and provides great cushion. The problem I'm running into is that it's not quite slick enough. I'm not passing judgment on this soap just yet because the problem could lie with me, but this is something that would have to improve to justify the price.

Last edited:
Week 1 - Shave 4

Prep: Shower + Suave Conditioner

AOS Unscented
Trac II

Post shower prep is the same as shave 1. This stuff lathers very well. Not much effort required to do it either. Still having the same problem with slickness. I even added a little more water and it still isn't as slick as I would like. Another 3 passes (WTG, XTG, XTG), another DFS.

I have been sick lately and have not been able to update this thread.

I am actually going to change how I do this. I have a lot of soaps to try, so I am going to use whatever soap I feel like using that particular day and post the results here. I will continue to do this until I have used the soaps long enough to feel comfortable about doing a proper review.

Week 1 - Shave 5

Prep: Suave Conditioner - Shower

PS Green Tea
Bic Metal
Gentlemen's Best AS (Splash)
Nivea AS (Balm)

This is the first time using this soap so I loaded the brush for a good 45 seconds. I lathered my wet face for about a minute to really get the soap worked into my beard. I dipped the tips of my brush in water and went back to my face for about 45 seconds. I dipped the brush once more and took another minute to finish my lather. This soap provided a nice cushion, was pretty slick, and the scent is nice too. :thumbup: Three passes later (WTG, XTG, XTG) and I had a DFS (I don't go for BBS very often). I don't rely on soaps to provide much in the moisturizing department but I will try to lay off my normal routine to see how well this soap performs in that area.

This looks to be a very promising soap.

I noticed a large amont of prep in this last post just like the first shave with AOS. Also and most important the amount of time you loaded the brush. You cut that back the second shave with AOS--isn't that when it became unslick? I think so but could be wrong. Would you mind using the AOS 1 more time and load the brush like the first time.

Thanks, if you don't want to its ok but I just bought $100 worth of it on all the recommendations I got when I posted a thread asking AOS or D R Harris Arlington.

I only changed the loading time once, otherwise my prep was essentially identical every time I used it. It's not a bad soap, it's just not ideal.

Week 2 - Shave 1 on 1-25-2010

Prep: White Rain Conditioner - Shower

L'occitane Cade
Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Bic Metal

*Just wanted to note that I always squeeze out my brush and give it a couple shakes before I load it. I do this no matter which soap I use. I prefer to add water gradually. I always leave a thin layer of hot water on my puck while I shower unless the soap is a little soft to begin with.

This soap was another first for me. I loaded the brush for about 45 seconds and applied to my face (soaking wet as always) for about 45 seconds. I dipped the brush in hot water and built lather on the left side of my face. I dipped my brush again and took care of the right side. One more dip and I finished off my entire face. Initial impressions of this lather are :thumbup:
Another DFS after three passes (WTG, XTG, XTG). This soap really got my attention. Easy to lather, slick as can be, and the cushion was great. A very protective soap that left my face feeling wonderful. I didn't use any aftershave products because I wanted to really get a feel for it's moisturizing properties and I was not disappointed.

This is definitely a keeper.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention the scent. A nice light scent that is not overpowering. I can't imagine anyone being put off by it. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Week 2 - Shave 2

Prep: White Rain Conditioner - Shower

Tabac
Trac II
Thayers Original Witch Hazel
Gentlemen's Best AS (Milk)

Loaded the brush for about 30 seconds, then applied to my face using my usual face lathering method (left, right, whole face). I was in a hurry and forgot to add enough water and the first pass was not pleasant. I dipped my brush in hot water and lathered on my face a little more until I had an adequate lather. The rest of the shave is history. With Tabac, it's always DFS with three passes (WTG, XTG, XTG). Slick, cushion, and the easiest lather you will ever make. I like the scent too so it's always a great shave. You didn't need me to tell you about Tabac anyway. There is enough (too much?) info about this soap already :thumbup1:

ALWAYS in my rotation!

Cool, I'm not the only metalhead that likes to smell like roses! TK, we gotta get you some C&S #88 to finish with...

:thumbup1: The Thayers not only smells good, it works really well too. The C&S #88 has a rose scent I take it? If that is the case I may have to end this purchasing sabbatical and pick some up when my taxes come in.

Top Bottom