What's new

Treet New Edge Carbon Steel

I never gave carbon steel blades much thought, until after shaving with a vintage Gillette Thin. It shaved close and smooth ... for 2 shaves. I then stropped it 10 laps, and the next shave was even smoother than the original shave. I decided to get some carbon steel blades to duplicate the stropping. Treet Black Beauties don't strop worth a hoot.

The Treet New Edge does. The first 2 initial shaves were smooth, but not exceptionally close. Even after 4 passes, the problem area under my chin still had a little roughness left. Before the 3rd shave, I stropped the blade 10 strokes. It shaved as close and as smooth as I recall the Vintage Thin did.

I'll repeat stropping and shaving again in the next day or 2 to determine if it will be worthwhile getting more of these blades.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Treet Platinum I have. Treet new edge I don’t have. Is that non stainless steel?
I get the idea that B and Bers like to aggravate each other.

The New Edge is carbon steel, but isn't blued like the Treet Black Beauty. 7 hours after a left/right comparison shave, Treet vs Razolution, a stainless blade, and the Treet side is still smooth; the Razolution side already has the beginning of some regrowth roughness.
Treet NewEdge.jpg
There are other carbon steel blades I haven't tried, but the New Edge performs much like a (stroppable) Gillette Thin Carbon Steel blade, which was what I was looking to find.

I don't want to be disrespectful or trolling, but what carbon steel DE blades have over stainless? Never used any carbon steel, but are there any advantages to them?

I don't want to be disrespectful or trolling, but what carbon steel DE blades have over stainless? Never used any carbon steel, but are there any advantages to them?
For KNIFE steel, carbon blades are sharper and hold an edge better. The same is not true of razor blades & really no advantage that I can tell. They're just a nostalgic throwback to the days before stainless steel and finer edge-making techniques.
For the Treet Black Beauties: https://www.razorbladesclub.com/razorblades/#product_10853

For the Treet New Edge, I'd suggest hiring an ugly woman with rusty pliers to yank out your beard instead - they're THAT bad. Otherwise, Razorbladesclub.com has them, too.

The Treet Classic is very mild and smooth, I do not need to do any skin stretching to get get the hairs that lie flat at the back of the jaw. My old skin likes them. I could shave twice a day every day and my skin would still be happy.

The Treet Classic is very mild and smooth, I do not need to do any skin stretching to get get the hairs that lie flat at the back of the jaw. My old skin likes them. I could shave twice a day every day and my skin would still be happy.
Years ago I really liked the Treet Durasharp (carbon) blades. They were insanely smooth. I kind of tired of how quickly they rusted so I quit using them, but I may revisit them next year. I don't know if it was the carbon that made them nice or not but it is worth trying again.

I like the blued Treets, depending what razor I use. I also like the Treet classics. Again, depending on the razor. Never tried stropping them though.

For KNIFE steel, carbon blades are sharper and hold an edge better. The same is not true of razor blades & really no advantage that I can tell. They're just a nostalgic throwback to the days before stainless steel and finer edge-making techniques.
For the Treet Black Beauties: https://www.razorbladesclub.com/razorblades/#product_10853

For the Treet New Edge, I'd suggest hiring an ugly woman with rusty pliers to yank out your beard instead - they're THAT bad. Otherwise, Razorbladesclub.com has them, too.
Revisiting the New Edge a year later, I used a milder razor (Krona) and a better, more cushiony soap (Shannon's) and got more impressive results. In a left side vs right side shave comparison vs a Personna Lab Blue, I got the same 3 pass BBS shave with both blades.

This just goes to show that the right soap & razor combination can make or break a great shave.

Treet seems to have a multitude of carbon steel blades. Is there anyplace that summarizes what each one actually is? I tried looking on treetonline.com, but it has nothing.
I have found [email protected] very responsive on matters like this.

For example, I asked "whether Treet Classic and Treet Dura Sharp DE blades are the same blades, same coating?"

and got the reply:

"Yes both blades are similar with same coating. For which country are you inquiring."

This Treet New Edge carbon blade intrigued me and so I purchased a stock of 40 pieces on Amazon, they will arrive in about ten days.
I will try them and let you know how I rate them.

Today I used the Treet New Edge carbon blade with the Feather popular razor.
The first impression is that I found it to be a very soft blade, it didn't get stuck and therefore maximum smoothness and not excessively sharp.
Good smooth shave.
Perhaps being a carbon blade the drawback is that it lasts and can only be used for a few shaves due to the possible rapid formation of rust.
I'll check this out too, hope it's not that easy.

Attachments

• Treetnewedge.jpg
    Treetnewedge.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Today I used again a Treet New Edge carbon steel razor blade with the King C Gillette DE Razor , the result was perfect, shave in 2 passes, BBS, no irritation.
Zero cuts, so smooth that I refrained from pressing the machine when there was no reason to do so as the bbs came very easily.
The only flaw with the Treet New Edge is that it lasts me barely two shaves.

I will continue to consider them in my daily blade rotation.
The question as to why, although it is a medium/good quality blade for me not widely and sufficiently considered in this forum.
I searched the forum very few people talk about it and have used these Treet New Edge razor blades.
Will it be the packaging that they don't like? :laugh:

I understand that there are better blades but this razor blade still provides good performance and comfort ,imho.
I have now bought the two hundred pack of blades from the Kings I hope I will be comfortable with these as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom