What's new

Treet "black beauty" carbon steel blade review

To start out, price. I found them for like $13 for 200 of them so it isn't a bad deal at all, depending on how close you want a shave. These aren't quite as sharp or as close as say a feather but they are cheaper, which is pretty much the only plus for me, but YMMV. Didn't shave close no matter how many times I went over even against the grain three times.
Pros: cheap, cool black blade
Cons:not very sharp, couldn't get all stubble. Didn't last long before rusting as its carbon steel.

I like sharp things.

I am getting good results from this blade. I just had shave #5 with one. I have no problem getting DFS in two passes (WTG, XTG) with most blades and this one is no exception. Shaves 3-5 have left me with more neck irritation than usual, however. It is still cutting fairly well, so I view this as a problem with my technique not the blade.

I think it is a good blade. I got 200 for $10 (before shipping) from ItalianBarber. At around $0.05 per blade these could be a 2-and-done blade and I would still be really happy with the purchase. The first shave with them is really excellent.

I just shaved today with my Treet black blade, first one, I didnt know which razor to put it in. I slapped it in my 37c Merkur slant, figuring the angle might help it along and deal with any deficincies in the blade. Havent used the slant for a while, but came out with a pretty nice three pass bbs. I found it sharp, with good blade feel on the face, and pretty smooth. I use the Shavecraft Tech razor quite a bit, and I'm used to alot of blade feel, no matter what blade I use, so maybe this black blade wasnt surprising in feel. Again, YMMV. Not saying its the best blade in the world, but for me its doable.

To start out, price. I found them for like $13 for 200 of them so it isn't a bad deal at all, depending on how close you want a shave. These aren't quite as sharp or as close as say a feather but they are cheaper, which is pretty much the only plus for me, but YMMV. Didn't shave close no matter how many times I went over even against the grain three times.
Pros: cheap, cool black blade
Cons:not very sharp, couldn't get all stubble. Didn't last long before rusting as its carbon steel.

I like sharp things.

Outside of the lack of close shave, did the blade tug or just not glide as effortless as sharper blades? (I like sharp blades as well, and this is usually my determination factor on using a blade again i.e. tug).

Outside of the lack of close shave, did the blade tug or just not glide as effortless as sharper blades? (I like sharp blades as well, and this is usually my determination factor on using a blade again i.e. tug).
Not really, it was smooth but only on one side. The other side didn't even seem to cut. Again, YMMV but for the price it still isn't a bad deal. Plus you can strop them to make them sharper as they're carbon steel.

I like sharp things.

I binned the Treet Black that I have been using today after my shave (#6 on this blade). I still got a near BBS shave, however I was left with lots of irritation around my mouth. I will definitely be using another one of these in the future (I have 198 more of them after all), but I am going to move onto something else for a while.

I shaved with the Treet Carbon Black yesterday & got a DFS. It just does not want to go more than two shaves for me for some reason. My V12 blade is still going with 4 shaves on it & it was a DFS as well.

I found these worked great in my 34c. Then I switched to the 37c and figured the slant would only help, but no, they just didn't work as well, close, but seemed to tug a bit more. I still use them, one and done on my days off shave. Still have a lot of them, I'll use them up as they still give a good shave, especially for the price.

I like these blades loaded into an aggressive razor....

I get only 2 shaves apiece, but they are smooth for me, not harsh in any way....

Great appearance to them, too bad that they're not a little bit sharper!

I bought 100 of them awhile back, still have almost all of them.

These are one of the blades that I'm most looking forward to trying in my sample pack. I've heard that carbon steel is worth a shot for people with sensitive skin that seemingly reacts to everything. I don't think that I'm allergic to the nickel in stainless steel but it always seems like I keep getting what might be a mild allergic reaction after every single shave, which results in a lot of pain that lasts for days.

It's a bit disappointing to hear that these aren't very sharp blades because anything less sharp than an Astra SP tends to be a recipe for disaster in my case. However, I did try some Treet Platinums and I found them to be surprisingly good blades on par with Astras. Assuming the black beauty is as sharp as the Treet Platinum, it should be a good middle of the road blade that might work out for me and perhaps solve the mystery of my overly sensitive face.

Top Bottom