What's new

Treet Black "beauty"- best and worst blade 2 in 1

A few days back I used one of these Treet black blades in a Gillette England Rocket or Aristocrat. Did both head and face shave and got one if not the best shave in years, super close and zero irritation; I was astonished.

I rinsed the blade using filtered water and then soaked in alcohol and dried it......

Today I checked it under the microscope....and one side, in the middle, the cutting edge was eroded, like a saw with no sharp tips.

I decided to use the same blade/razor combo.......one pass in the head.....mediocre results, did 2nd pass with a Gillette single blade India. Then to the face.....the razor was skipping and pulling (oh yeah: I did NOT use the side that was highly abnormal....used the one that was OK'ish.....) was unable to finish even the first pass. Did the rest of the shave w a used Nacet.....shave was close but by then I had irritation in both scalp and face.

So, for me, this Treet Black blade is a use once and discard, knowing that for one pass it's amazing......in that razor, might venture into other razors in the future.....

I got mine super cheap and have no problems tossing a blade after one or two shaves. Actually, most all DE blades are super cheap and I don't mind tossing a blade whenever it feels right.

The black beauties are unique. Treet has longer lasting carbon steel blades—in fact, all their carbon steel blades are longer lasting than the black beauties. I found that three types of Treet carbon blades are easily competitive with stainless steel blades.
Post in thread 'Carbon Forest of Treets: A deep dive into carbon steel double-edge blades'
Carbon Forest of Treets: A deep dive into carbon steel double-edge blades - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/carbon-forest-of-treets-a-deep-dive-into-carbon-steel-double-edge-blades.625422/post-12025705

The black beauties are unique. Treet has longer lasting carbon steel blades—in fact, all their carbon steel blades are longer lasting than the black beauties. I found that three types of Treet carbon blades are easily competitive with stainless steel blades.
Post in thread 'Carbon Forest of Treets: A deep dive into carbon steel double-edge blades'
Carbon Forest of Treets: A deep dive into carbon steel double-edge blades - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/carbon-forest-of-treets-a-deep-dive-into-carbon-steel-double-edge-blades.625422/post-12025705

I agree. I generally like the carbon blades but the other Treet carbon blades are better for me. The blued blades are super cool looking though.

I've seen pictures of how carbon steel blades quickly corrode and concluded that, for me, stainless blades, often at lower prices make more sense.

That said how does the sharpness of these blades compare to stainless blades from Feather? Many B&Bers only realize one or two good shaves from Feather blades as the narrow blade tip hone angle quickly wears away versus other blades. Very similar to what many experience with carbon steel blades.

Curious if the Treet carbon steel blades are a lower cost way to get that first one or two extra sharp shaves before significant corrosion sets in. Anyone who has used both please chime in.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My few first uses of the black beauty left me very impressed. I had a fleeting thought that this was my new go to blade. I then got 200 super cheap, justification was I’d not feel guilty tossing the blade after one use. (After experiencing rust in the razor) Then my subsequent uses left me wanting. They didn’t seem as sharp. I attributed that to using them on 3 day growth. Then they didn’t feel great on one day growth Didn’t feel that smooth either. What happened? I have no clue. And I still feel guilty tossing it after one use. I use them only occasionally now.

I've seen pictures of how carbon steel blades quickly corrode and concluded that, for me, stainless blades, often at lower prices make more sense.

That said how does the sharpness of these blades compare to stainless blades from Feather? Many B&Bers only realize one or two good shaves from Feather blades as the narrow blade tip hone angle quickly wears away versus other blades. Very similar to what many experience with carbon steel blades.

Curious if the Treet carbon steel blades are a lower cost way to get that first one or two extra sharp shaves before significant corrosion sets in. Anyone who has used both please chime in.
I think the corrosion thing is way overblown. I systematically shaved through every carbon steel Treet in all of my razors, each for as many shaves as it was good for, and saw zero evidence of anything breaking down faster than your typical stainless blade. I blotted the blades dry, like I do all blades, but didn't do anything extraordinary and I had no rust. What I did find was that some of the brands were only good for two shaves and the others were good for three or more. For me, with my equipment.

None of the Treets is as sharp as a Feather, but most are more consistent from shave to shave than a Feather. It's not that black beauties (the shortest lived of the Treets) are super sharp on the first shave and then degrade quickly. It's that they're comfortable, and passably sharp, for a shave or two and then fade off slightly. For me, that slight fade puts them into the unacceptable range. Someone with lighter stubble might ride them for longer.

Feathers start out exceptionally sharp and then degrade in an unpredictable way. I've gotten good shaves from Feathers but I've never gotten two good shaves in a row from a Feather. And those good shaves aren't always the first. Or the second.

Shaved again with a new bade.....smooth and excellent shave. This time I rinsed it with filtered water and just dried w towel....
Next morning had rust spots (orange)....I was going to dispose of it anyway. The first one w the dip in alcohol did not rust to the naked eye (but had the uneven chipped edge). One good shave blade.

I think the corrosion thing is way overblown. I systematically shaved through every carbon steel Treet in all of my razors, each for as many shaves as it was good for, and saw zero evidence of anything breaking down faster than your typical stainless blade. I blotted the blades dry, like I do all blades, but didn't do anything extraordinary and I had no rust. What I did find was that some of the brands were only good for two shaves and the others were good for three or more. For me, with my equipment.

None of the Treets is as sharp as a Feather, but most are more consistent from shave to shave than a Feather. It's not that black beauties (the shortest lived of the Treets) are super sharp on the first shave and then degrade quickly. It's that they're comfortable, and passably sharp, for a shave or two and then fade off slightly. For me, that slight fade puts them into the unacceptable range. Someone with lighter stubble might ride them for longer.

Feathers start out exceptionally sharp and then degrade in an unpredictable way. I've gotten good shaves from Feathers but I've never gotten two good shaves in a row from a Feather. And those good shaves aren't always the first. Or the second.

Shaved again with a new bade.....smooth and excellent shave. This time I rinsed it with filtered water and just dried w towel....
Next morning had rust spots (orange)....I was going to dispose of it anyway. The first one w the dip in alcohol did not rust to the naked eye (but had the uneven chipped edge). One good shave blade.

I personally haven't seen a carbon blade rust over night. I did leave one in a razor that did rust, but over the course of a week with steam from the shower also. I get one or two shaves from a Black Beauty but also I do not do anything to any blade but "rinse and shake" and leave it in the razor.

However, as far as the rust goes, I really believe the local water source has a lot to do with it. I can't remember anything specifically about blades, but when we moved 10 years ago, I definitely had a "different" time making a lather.

I personally haven't seen a carbon blade rust over night. I did leave one in a razor that did rust, but over the course of a week with steam from the shower also. I get one or two shaves from a Black Beauty but also I do not do anything to any blade but "rinse and shake" and leave it in the razor.

Carbon Steel is a very ambiguous description. How prone it is to rusting has to do with the amount of carbon and chromium in the steel. Steel can also contain various other elements and compounds, as well as protective coatings.

And many environmental factors need to be considered.

Yeah these are definitely one-use blades, but they’re super smooth. I love using them in a Henson +++.

When I spent some time in the subcontinent (not Pakistan) I saw the shaving culture, for many is a shave in the barbershop with a DE blade snapped in 2 in a shavette.

Lifespan for a DE blade isn't really much of an issue there, blades are used once then thrown away for hygiene purposes. So I imagine a blade like the Black Beauty as long as it is smooth on the first day then that's fine enough.

I'm not the biggest fan of Treet Black, but I do like the Treet Classic, another Carbon Steel blade. I get a couple of good shaves, then I throw the blade away. I find the CS Treets work beautifully in my old Gillette razors.

I only use the Treet Black Beautys once, then toss it. In fact I do this with many other blades too. I am a big fan of the Black Beauties.
I also love Feathers, but I think they are a completely different beast. If I am in the mood for meticulous touch-ups the black beauties are perfect and forgiving. If I am in the mood for minimal skin contact, "clean job in one go", I'll reach for a Feather. Both are among my favourite blades.

A few days back I used one of these Treet black blades in a Gillette England Rocket or Aristocrat. Did both head and face shave and got one if not the best shave in years, super close and zero irritation; I was astonished.

I rinsed the blade using filtered water and then soaked in alcohol and dried it......

Today I checked it under the microscope....and one side, in the middle, the cutting edge was eroded, like a saw with no sharp tips.

I decided to use the same blade/razor combo.......one pass in the head.....mediocre results, did 2nd pass with a Gillette single blade India. Then to the face.....the razor was skipping and pulling (oh yeah: I did NOT use the side that was highly abnormal....used the one that was OK'ish.....) was unable to finish even the first pass. Did the rest of the shave w a used Nacet.....shave was close but by then I had irritation in both scalp and face.

So, for me, this Treet Black blade is a use once and discard, knowing that for one pass it's amazing......in that razor, might venture into other razors in the future.....
They are a "rotten blade". Use them in a BBS razorrock and Feather ASDS ..I had 100 and just hate wasting..so they get used. Have 19 left today and I`m looking forward to seeing end of them soon. They give me just 1 shave only, each time..they are terrible blades and never worth anything past 1 shave. Ironically are most expensive when considering I get 7-8 very good shaves off a local Japanese Stainless (in red 10 peice box with Japanese writing ) feather DE blade. The treet blade also is inconsistent ~ sometimes great single shave ~ other times shocking low quality

Real rubbish blades..using my last 19 of 100 pack. Will not buy again. Only good for 1 shave , then trash and even then quality is mixed and need more than extra careful shaving..Probably one of worst out there, just below Shark chromes which are not too hot either. After using Feather blades ~ these "treet black beautys" are real junk. Will use these last 19, but never buy again after that

Real rubbish blades..using my last 19 of 100 pack. Will not buy again. Only good for 1 shave , then trash and even then quality is mixed and need more than extra careful shaving..Probably one of worst out there, just below Shark chromes which are not too hot either. After using Feather blades ~ these "treet black beautys" are real junk. Will use these last 19, but never buy again after that
I still have 97 left......
but interestingly I do not hate them......that ONE shave I get from them is really good so far.....

Top Bottom