What's new

Tree of Heaven Infestation

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm not someone who puts a ton of effort in their lawn. For a couple of years I've just been mowing over these invasive weed trees in my side yard but they are getting out of hand. Is there a lawn treatment that will keep these from growing or do they really need to be dug out by the roots to eliminate them?

I'm not someone who puts a ton of effort in their lawn. For a couple of years I've just been mowing over these invasive weed trees in my side yard but they are getting out of hand. Is there a lawn treatment that will keep these from growing or do they really need to be dug out by the roots to eliminate them?

Pre-emergent herbicide will prevent the seeds from germinating. Cut the stems and sponge some higher concentration Round-up or Garlon at the label dose for stump treatment on the cut surface will get them. Other products will work on the cut stems, check label listings for stem treatment for Ailanthus.

Tom

Pre-emergent herbicide will prevent the seeds from germinating. Cut the stems and sponge some higher concentration Round-up or Garlon at the label dose for stump treatment on the cut surface will get them. Other products will work on the cut stems, check label listings for stem treatment for Ailanthus.

Tom
What he said^^^

In addition to this, if the stump is large enough to drill a hole in it from the cut toward the root, it will give the Roundup more exposure to do its job. Also, wear gloves. You don’t want Roundup on your skin.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The plants I'm talking about are not mature trees, these look like weeds that will literally show up over night. I've been trying to walk through and pull them, but like weeds they usually leave most of the root behind.

The plants I'm talking about are not mature trees, these look like weeds that will literally show up over night. I've been trying to walk through and pull them, but like weeds they usually leave most of the root behind.

If you can cut them with a hand pruner or mower and give them a hit with roundup on a sponge (so you just put the herbicide on the Ailanthus and not on the grass plants) that will kill them And the roots before they become trees without having to pull them. If you treat your lawn with pre-emergent herbicide the seeds from neighboring trees will not germinate in your lawn. The Ailanthus are developing seeds about now.

Tom

24D can be applied as well instead of pulling, it will kill the broad leaf plants and not bother your grass.

I am going to assume you are talking about the little trees that are sprouting off of other trees roots ( Aspen trees are known for this).
There is some special chemical for these, I get it at Ace hardware, but it is available at most of the lawn and garden stores. Don't remember the exact names, but it is designed for killing the suckers but not the parent tree.

Top Bottom