What's new

Treatise on Razor Honing - 2012

Great post!!

Now I admit it; I too am obsessed with finishers, and love having several to choose from (currently have a Naniwa 12k, a c12k, Thuringian, Welsh slate, and several coticules). I don't know much about them, but I was wondering whether I would benefit from adding a Surgical Black Arkansas to the lineup?

I hear people (including you) speak very highly of them, so my interest has been piqued!!

Great post!!

Now I admit it; I too am obsessed with finishers, and love having several to choose from (currently have a Naniwa 12k, a c12k, Thuringian, Welsh slate, and several coticules). I don't know much about them, but I was wondering whether I would benefit from adding a Surgical Black Arkansas to the lineup?

I hear people (including you) speak very highly of them, so my interest has been piqued!!
JNAT, you need a JNAT.

JNAT, you need a JNAT.

Ahh yes... the lone, unexplored frontier... Since I started honing razors about 6 months ago, I have tried very hard to immerse/expose myself to every type of natural stone that's out there (esp. Coticules), except for JNATS. I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to anything Japanese related to honing :confused1, and this is unfortunate because I think I'm missing out on some REALLY nice stuff!!

So yes Doc, you're correct..I need to learn about JNATS asap!!

Thanks everyone..

Good to see people are discovering things, the path is somewhat long but the experience is very rewarding.

The path is endless - it's length is only limited by the person walking along it. At this juncture, I can say that so far - my walk on this path has been a truly rewading experience.

Very nice read, thanks for it! I am actually at the middle of my journey with Jnats. After I have read your thread yesterday, I got an itch to use my Shobudani Asagi again I got from Maxim. I finished one of my new razors on it, and had the best shave of my life up to date. The shave was so good without pastes or anything that I couldn't stop smiling for an hour or two:001_smile

I even started regretting that I have ordered a 16k Shapton to replace my 10k Naniwa.

I don't miss my synthetic finishers at all. Don't miss the pastes, sprays, etc either.

Gamma
Lots of good fodder in your postings here. Keep it up and have a great New Year.

Alx

Thanks Alex - Hope you have a great New Year also.

Great post!!

Like all naturals of any type - you may or may not get along with Arks but IMO - they're definitely worth checking out.

Deep rabbit hole, very deep.

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Glad you got that.

What a great read...
Immersed myself into the details of both articles and now I see that my road though long will be a pleasure as I just started to experience honing on my own this year.
Trying out the coti's first and will have to make a move into the JNAT realm...
One day!

Thanks from another Brooklynite (left in 1975 for the US Navy and ended up in Virginia).
Myron

Last edited:
What a great read...
Immersed myself into the details of both articles and now I see that my road though long will be a pleasure as I just started to experience honing on my own this year.
One day!

Thanks from another Brooklynite (left in 1975 for the US Navy and ended up in Virginia).
Myron

There's a good number of us in NoVa. I think we're a secret HQ for wet shavers.

What a great read...
One day!

Myron

Yer welcome - glad you enjoyed my blathering.. lol.

Top Bottom