What's new

Treated myself today at Taylor Of Old Bond Street, Mayfair.

4678191D-9583-411A-ACFA-645C51FD93C8.jpeg

Bought two packs of blades based on the salesperson’s advice for my sensitive skin and tough beard, and a small tube of luxury shaving cream as an upgrade to my usual gel. Looking forward to try the different blades and the cream!

My experience with the posted items will follow in due course.

Jason.

View attachment 1325271
Bought two packs of blades based on the salesperson’s advice for my sensitive skin and tough beard, and a small tube of luxury shaving cream as an upgrade to my usual gel. Looking forward to try the different blades and the cream!

My experience with the posted items will follow in due course.

Jason.
Tell us how this cream worked out. I am considering this one once my current cream inventory gets low.

I have previously used a Tailor Of Old Bond St Sandalwood shaving stick and it was brilliant. The lather was nice and slick And It smells great. I expect that you would enjoy similar results with the cream.

Stepping up to proper posh gear! I love the TOBS cream - it's what works best for me.

Do you have a brush to go along with that cream? Only asking because I saw in another thread that you're stepping up from a cheap gel. You can hand lather the TOBS I suppose, but it's really designed to be whipped with a brush....

That cream is a good choice. I also tried the Merkur blades a while back. Didn’t like them but YMMV. Watch yourself with the Feather blades though. Plenty sharp

As promised I would post my experience with the products I bought.

The shaving cream is really rather good though I found the smell a bit overpowering and a bit 'lumpy' as well. As for the blades, the Merkurs are pretty much middle-of-the-road; nothing to write home about but they do the job well enough. The Feathers do a really good job and I haven't had any major nicks with them. I do need to buy a better razor though then I will be able to evaluate the blades properly.

Jason.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I suggest a good option to experiment with blades would be a vintage Gillette fat-handle Tech. They don't cost too much, are more maneuverable than the taller-heads on twist to open razors, and give a consistent shave experience which will help you both hone your technique and evaluate blades.

Top Bottom