What's new

Treadmill opinions?

Other than "go run outside" please :laugh:

The Light Of My Life likes walking on a treadmill with various incline options. I don't like walking but could be tempted to use it to supplement running on days when I can't get out due to weather or laziness.

Does anyone have brands/models that you would recommend?

I bought a few over the years. The problem is that any of the ones I tried got old soon. I suggest you join a gym with multiple options.

thanks BigJ.
The gym is also there, but sometimes you just want to exercise in your own home watching your own TV - a TV that will not tune to anything Kardashian or other reality TV that 75% of the monitors in the gym appear to be tuned to.

Whenever I buy exercise equipment I try to buy the brands that are in the gyms. I tend to buy used high end commercial quality equipment. Used equipment bought from individuals is a good choice because people pay full price and then never use this stuff so it's basically brand new. I find I'm more inclined to actually use the better quality equipment. It's much more enjoyable to use since it's more stable and less clunky.

I'd be looking at brands like True and Precor as well as anything you're familiar with that's in your local gym. If it's in there it's made to last a very long time. It will still be pricey but higher quality always is. For example, I bought a used Precor elliptical for around $900 that was about $4K new. It's a pleasure to use.

Last edited:
I have a Pro Form 550S that I have had for 10 years. My wife and I both use it mostly in the winter when we can't get outside. The track folds up when not in use to save space. We bought it at sears.

Make sure to watch the sales. Treadmills are one of those things that are always on sale for 70% off. I would never pay full retail for one.

Whenever I buy exercise equipment I try to buy the brands that are in the gyms. I tend to buy used high end commercial quality equipment. Used equipment bought from individuals is a good choice because people pay full price and then never use this stuff so it's basically brand new. I find I'm more inclined to actually use the better quality equipment. It's much more enjoyable to use since it's more stable and less clunky.

I'd be looking at brands like True and Precor as well as anything you're familiar with that's in your local gym. If it's in there it's made to last a very long time. It will still be pricey but higher quality always is. For example, I bought a used Precor elliptical for around $900 that was about $4K new. It's a pleasure to use.
Thanks Dave. i'll be hitting the gym tomorrow and will see what they use.

I have a Pro Form 550S that I have had for 10 years. My wife and I both use it mostly in the winter when we can't get outside. The track folds up when not in use to save space. We bought it at sears.
thanks for the user review! Good longevity.

Make sure to watch the sales. Treadmills are one of those things that are always on sale for 70% off. I would never pay full retail for one.
Eyes like a hawk. thanks!

Here's my monologue on the topic:

We bought a Landice about 17 years ago. During the winter months (actually, it's more like during the school year), my wife uses it 5 days a week. I'll use it a couple times a week if I can't get outside. It wasn't cheap, but with a lot of use, it's held up well--we did need to replace the motor a couple years ago, but I think that was only $350 or so. If we get another 15 years out of it, we're ahead of the game.

I did a lot of research when I bought it. I ended up with one without all the fancy electronics. I just didn't want something that was to my wife and me, unnecessary, that could break or wear out. I also knew we were mounting it near a tv, so we didn't need a fancy screen. I also bought the best motor I could afford. Running on a treadmill is loud. The weaker the motor, the louder it is. I didn't want to disturb the whole house with a TV turned up full blast so I could hear it over the treadmill.

I don't know what companies make good treadmills now. I would recommend, however, that you go to some stores and try them out before you buy. Back when I was purchasing, they all had a different feel. The Landice had the most realistic road feel at the time--many of them were too soft or springy. Also, think about what you're going to use it for so it doesn't end up as a fancy drying rack.

thank you Dave - great monologue.

I hear you on the electronics vs motor. This will be in basement in front of a big TV. The problem I see after a quick look at the market is that the better motors, comes with the extraneous bells and whistles. I don't think either my wife or I really need to be able to jog alongside the banks of the Seine or through the Carpathian mountains.

Today I will hit up my gym, tomorrow I'll see what Dick's have to offer. They have a bunch of Sole models in the store.

Smooth Fitness makes decent treadmills. They're internet only, I think, but local to you. We got about 12 years out of ours ($1500 purchase at the time).

Top Bottom