What's new

Travelling With DE Gear

Hey all -

I'm about to fly for the first time since I started DE shaving and I'm concerned about how to travel with some of my gear. I will be checking a bag, but I'm still worried about my razor or blades being confiscated. I'm planning on disassembling my Merkur 33C and storing it in the bottom zipper portion of my Dopp kit along with two blades. Will I have any problems storing my gear this way? Additionally, is a tupperware bowl OK to use as a brush container provided my brush is dry, or is there something else I should be using?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all -

I'm about to fly for the first time since I started DE shaving and I'm concerned about how to travel with some of my gear. I will be checking a bag, but I'm still worried about my razor or blades being confiscated. I'm planning on disassembling my Merkur 33C and storing it in the bottom zipper portion of my Dopp kit along with two blades. Will I have any problems storing my gear this way? Additionally, is a tupperware bowl OK to use as a brush container provided my brush is dry, or is there something else I should be using?

Thanks in advance!

Full info is available in the wiki, but to cut to the chase: you should be OK so long as there are no blades (or *loaded* razor) in your carry on. Blades must be checked. As for the tupperware, that's a crap shoot... chances are you'll at least be questioned on it, if not have it taken, as it *could hold* more than the allowed 2oz (or whatever it is) if it is brought in carry on. My suggestion for a brush container (tho tupper ware will work, and you may want to punch a few holes in the lid for ventillation), is an old large medicine or vitamin bottle.

For my brush I picked up a round canister at home depot for my last trip that was clear with an end that screwed on. It had a small slit for some air. No biggie cause my brush was dry both ways. Otherwise I would have some holes.

I always disassemble the razor before traveling by plane and don't take any blades with me. If you know where you're going, mail yourself the blades before you leave.

I've never had a problem traveling w/a DE razor. I always check a bag that has a Fat handle Tech in a foam lined travel case (Altoids tin) w/a couple blades. I don't want to lose my favorite razor (Muhle R89 w/Bull mastiff handle) should some nosey baggage handler go poking through my stuff. I always lock my bag but we all know that those locks are more for show than go.

Hey all -

Thanks in advance!

You shouldn't have any problems as long as you're checking your bag. I always check my bag containing my shave gear and I've never had a problem at all. Even if the razor was loaded, its still checked. As for your brush, almost any of the shave gear sites have some very nice travel brushes. Check them out. :001_cool: :biggrin1:

Don't even try to take blades in your carry-on; if you're checking a bag, put 'em in that one, buy some blades when you arrive, or mail them to yourself at your destination. The razor is fine to carry on the plane as long as it's unloaded.

Last edited:
I rarely fly, and when I do I never check a bag, so shaving is always an issue. I actually try to take the train, where you can carry a razor.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I travel a LOT, and whenever I fly I always check a bag.
That bag has my Dopp kit in it, and the Dopp kit is chock full of shaving goodies, including straights, DE's, travel strop, After shaves, soaps, creams, and several packages of blades.
I try to place the Dopp kit under stuff in the suitcase, because suitcase rifflers are looking for the quick grab.
I have never lost any gear on all of the trips I have made, and I have never had an issue with security.
As far as the brush goes, like others said - you can get a Pill Bottle that is sized to hold the brush and poke a few holes in the lid.
I went to a dollar store and bought a jar that contained cinnamon, and just dumped the cinnamon.
The container is perfect sized, has a nice lid that I put holes in, and is quite sturdy, and not prone to cracking like a pill bottle is.
What ever you do - do NOT try to take any blades in your carry-on.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I thought I had read in one of the threads around a Safety Razor DE Blade, that by the letter of the law, if the blade is labeled as a "Safety Razor Blade" it will be allowed, at least in the TSA rules current interpretation.

So, are their any blades out there that have the manufacturers label including the words "Safety Razor Blade"?

If there is, I am willing to push the envelope next time I pass through TSA security. What's the worst they can do... throw me in Guantanamo :lol:

We've been through this about 16 bagazillion times. (cred to the Old Spice guy)
You can't take a razor blade on an airplane. Period. No matter what it is labeled.
You can take a cartridge razor on an airplane.
It's just the way it is, and to talk about breaking the law is a disservice to noobs who might read the post and be encouraged to try.
It's just not a decent thing to do.

From the TSA Website;

Items that could be used as weapons -- ranging from pointed scissors to razor blades and baseball bats -- are not allowed on you or in your carry-on luggage. Check the Web site for a list of prohibited items.
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...ease_0401.shtm

And this;

Items prohibited from aircraft cabins:

The following items will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. Please note that this list is not all-inclusive. In addition to items specifically listed here other items that may be deemed to present a potential threat may also be prohibited.
~
Razor blades (not in a cartridge)
~
Passengers should be aware that there are no provisions for returning banned items to them when they are left at the security checkpoint. In addition those who attempt to bring banned items through the checkpoints are subject to civil penalties of up to $1100 per violation in addition to criminal penalties.
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...ease_0104.shtm

Per violation means a 10 pack of blades would run you $11,000.00 in fines.

Last edited:
Regardess of the specific wording of the regs, does anyone honestly think the TSA is going to knowingly let you take a bare razor blade onto an airplane? Complain all you want about the rationale behind the rule and how a ballpoint pen can be a deadly weapon, but let's be realistic here. It's a bad idea, and you'll get in trouble for trying.

My wife accidentally forgot to unload her Lady Gillette a few months ago, and the TSA made her toss the blade at security. If she had given them any lip, she would still be in custody in PHL trying to win the argument.

Top Bottom