What's new

Travelling- Carry On Bag Tips

I air travel a fair bit and have been continually tweaking my gear. I thought I’d share where I’m at here. If you have other suggestions, chime in please.

I like to switch up my products for different destinations and I was trying to find stuff that are travel sized for the 3–1-1 TSA rule but it gets a bit pricey and a lot of products don’t come travel sized.

I have shaving sticks but I don’t really like using them. I also prefer soaps that can be used in varying water conditions. This is where it gets a little tricky choosing what to bring. For this reason I bring more than one soap.

I bought some black 2oz tins from Amazon. They are the perfect size for soaps like this Haslinger in my picture and I can put anything I want in them. If I stick to harder soaps they can be in my dopp bag and rather than the separate 1 quart zip loc bag. I can also swirl my Simpson’s Super Major turn-back in it perfectly! Any smaller turn-back brush will work.

The after shaves I’ve been using are Chattilon lux and they are small containers and very concentrated. They also have nice blends that work with a lot of different soaps. I have another aftershave that has rose in it that smells awesome and works great with MDC rose.

I have this Coghlans “Contain All” container that has moisturizer in it. These work fantastic for any liquids really. They don’t leak!

Example: I’m going to Mexico in a few weeks. I’ll bring Hasljnger coconut, MDC rose in my tins in my carry on bag and an after shave. For Chicago next week I think I’ll bring Haslinger sandalwood and some lime Castle
forbes. The options are endless and helps make my travelling a little more fun.

The only catch is I bring a Fusion razor. Blades are a pain in the butt to coordinate.

proxy.php

Nice but for me I have to check a bag every time since I use a straight razor. So I bring full size of anything I like.

No issues hence.

Chris

I travel a lot for work and have gone minimal. Shaving cream in a small silicone tube, no brush and a sensor cart. I got tired of wet brush funk.

I air travel a fair bit and have been continually tweaking my gear. I thought I’d share where I’m at here. If you have other suggestions, chime in please.

I like to switch up my products for different destinations and I was trying to find stuff that are travel sized for the 3–1-1 TSA rule but it gets a bit pricey and a lot of products don’t come travel sized.

I have shaving sticks but I don’t really like using them. I also prefer soaps that can be used in varying water conditions. This is where it gets a little tricky choosing what to bring. For this reason I bring more than one soap.

I bought some black 2oz tins from Amazon. They are the perfect size for soaps like this Haslinger in my picture and I can put anything I want in them. If I stick to harder soaps they can be in my dopp bag and rather than the separate 1 quart zip loc bag. I can also swirl my Simpson’s Super Major turn-back in it perfectly! Any smaller turn-back brush will work.

The after shaves I’ve been using are Chattilon lux and they are small containers and very concentrated. They also have nice blends that work with a lot of different soaps. I have another aftershave that has rose in it that smells awesome and works great with MDC rose.

I have this Coghlans “Contain All” container that has moisturizer in it. These work fantastic for any liquids really. They don’t leak!

Example: I’m going to Mexico in a few weeks. I’ll bring Hasljnger coconut, MDC rose in my tins in my carry on bag and an after shave. For Chicago next week I think I’ll bring Haslinger sandalwood and some lime Castle

The only catch is I bring a Fusion razor. Blades are a pain in the butt to coordinate.

proxy.php

Nice kit!!

After a fair bit of air travel I evolved into a ‘one bag’ (carry on) traveler. My approach depends on whether I am staying in one place for awhile or if I have multiple destinations. In either event, I want a soap that will perform great under most any water conditions. Eventually, I settled on the La Toja stick. I also carry-on my Wee Scot and a small bottle of AS.

The real issue is the razor. If I will stay in one place, then I take my Lord L6 and either purchase blades on site or mail a few to the hotel before I leave. If I am moving around, then I resort to a cart because TSA is simply unpredictable.

I'm also a one-bag, carry-on only traveler. My travel kit is a shave stick of some variety, my EJ travel synthetic brush, and a good cartridge razor (these days I'm using the Bic Flex5 Hybrid, but I also have a stash of Gillette Guards to use up). I also use non-liquid toiletries (deodorant, tooth powder) so I don't have to mess with the quart Ziploc bag. Shampoo, etc. are whatever the hotel provides.

I just did a one-bag trip to Texas. I used Maggard’s samples for shave soap and after shave. They also sell the little screw-top containers and little spray bottles if you want to bring your own soap or AS.

A chunk of shampoo bar (Stirling) is good if you don’t want to mess with shampoo liquids or don’t like hotel shampoos.

For the hardware, I brought my WCS shavette this time, with a new DE blade still in the wrapper. I figured if TSA took anything, they could just take the blade and I’d still have the shavette. They didn’t take either. Having said that, I joined that TSA pre-check plan - not sure if that had anything to do with it. I also have a travel boar brush that is basically an aluminum tube to which the knot screws atop. I’m thinking of buying a Wee Scott to go that route - the boar can be a bear depending on the water quality at destination.

I would not bring the shavette again. Hotels are too different from home bathrooms and trying to do a straight-blade shave just made me a bloody mess. I bought a Ikon X3 safety razor (you can find the head+handle a lot cheaper than buying the whole thing from Ikon) just so I could have a two-part razor that would be less likely than my TTO to get bent out of whack en transit.

I've become a one-bag carry-on person over the last few years and I don't fly that often. I also keep my trave bag pre-packed and so is my Dopp kit.

My TSA approved Dopp kit includes:
  • Folding Toothbrush (self-contained)
  • Travel Size toothpaste
  • Travel Gillette Foamy
  • Dorco Razor with Twin Blade carts (discontinued)*
  • Sample of Bay Rum AS (a recent addition)
  • Mitch Construction Paste Tube
  • Irish Spring 5-in-1 Wash in a travel tube
I put all of that inside of a Carry-On 1 Quart Size 3-1-1 bag.

I may switch to a shaving stick once the Foamy runs out but I'm not sure. When it comes to flying, I'd rather get through the lines to get where I'm going.

*As far as I know, Dorco discontinued the twin-blade cart when they moved to Amazon but they were cheap.

There are some other good ideas on this thread which I may adopt when the time comes.

Oooh, I forgot about samples.... Those Maggard and Stirling samples would work awesome. I could mush the Stirling samples in to my tins and I think their full sized aftershaves are small enough for travel. The soaps are also good for hard water too, from what I’ve heard.

Truefitt and hill also has sample bundles you can buy of creams but kinda pricey.

I just noticed Fendrihan has 65g hard soaps that sound like they will smell good. Made in Germany and the same ingredients as my Klar soap in a tin. I may buy a couple of those to try because I’ve had great experience with Klar soaps.

Brush smell was mentioned in this thread... I’ve never had a problem with my Major. I shake it, brush it a bit on a towel then pack it. Air it out at the hotel or when I get home.

I have a Wee Scott but don’t like it. I could take paint off a car with it. It’s night and day compared to me Major in super. I love the turnback. It’s ingenious.

I’ve also tried the La Toja stick but I don’t find they work for me like Haslinger does. The post shave of Haslinger is pretty good

This thread actually made me look at updating my travel kit. I might to with a small synthetic instead of the Wee, or look at that Major you mentioned. I’ll probably update my toiletry bag as well - I’m using an old airline freebie my father-in-law gave me to me years ago. The Maggards dopp bag looks pretty good.

The Stirling shampoo bars are great for travel. Cut off a chunk, throw it in a Ziploc or pill bottle.

proxy.php
While in Mex. try getting some Gillette Super Thin Mejoradas....good blades....
Walmart sells some baby food plastic things that fit Haslinger perfectly (made in New Zeland).
Dollar tree has pack w 100ml bottles for your fluids or creams; or Target has nicer ones....

I don't carry heavy, bulky stuff when I travel , so: carts and hotel conditioner is all I need. And if in the US, I can get what I need locally......

safe travels...

I just did a one-bag trip to Texas. I used Maggard’s samples for shave soap and after shave. They also sell the little screw-top containers and little spray bottles if you want to bring your own soap or AS.

A chunk of shampoo bar (Stirling) is good if you don’t want to mess with shampoo liquids or don’t like hotel shampoos.

For the hardware, I brought my WCS shavette this time, with a new DE blade still in the wrapper. I figured if TSA took anything, they could just take the blade and I’d still have the shavette. They didn’t take either. Having said that, I joined that TSA pre-check plan - not sure if that had anything to do with it. I also have a travel boar brush that is basically an aluminum tube to which the knot screws atop. I’m thinking of buying a Wee Scott to go that route - the boar can be a bear depending on the water quality at destination.

I would not bring the shavette again. Hotels are too different from home bathrooms and trying to do a straight-blade shave just made me a bloody mess. I bought a Ikon X3 safety razor (you can find the head+handle a lot cheaper than buying the whole thing from Ikon) just so I could have a two-part razor that would be less likely than my TTO to get bent out of whack en transit.

The TSA rules are clear and do not allow DE blades in carryon luggage. The honest and gentlemanly thing to do is to not deliberately carryon DE blades on anyway. Not getting caught is different from it being okay.

I used to travel between 25,000 and 50,000 miles a year for the job. I never wanted to be inconvenienced by a lost bag or having to in search of double edge blades so I resigned myself to using my Mach 3 with an Edwin Jagger handle when traveling by air. But I still allowed myself the luxury of everything else I normally use in my routine. That means I would bring a Razorock Plissoft synthetic brush and a plastic stand to hold both, an insulated double wall stainless covered lather bowl (super light, weighs next to nothing). For software I bought some small naglene containers to hold witch hazel, aftershave, and I bring a Razorock alum stick. I'll usually bring a cream because they are less fussy and TOBS has smaller tubes of their Sandalwood and St. James scents. I stick the hardware in a dopp kit and all the liquids go in a TSA compliant clear travel bag that goes in an outside pocket of my roller back carry on so I can easily pull it out when going through security. And I get some nice shaves while on the road using this set up. And for when I'm driving or taking the train I'll throw a double edge and blades that I have packed in an Altoids tin. All this stuff is permanently packed and ready for the next trip.

Recently I have started using a CPAP and traveling with that beast pretty much means using a bag too big to carry on. I still use pretty much the same shaving stuff though as space is still a premium.

I have about six or eight small brushes that I rotate between. The smallest is a Wee Scot (about 14 mm) and the largest is an Omega 599 18 mm Silvertip. The rest are 15 mm and 16 mm and are mixed as both Finest and Silvertip. The 15 mm has a handle from an AOS Temporary Brush (comes with horrible Pure knot) that was reknotted with a TGN Finest selected from normal 16 mm stock as smaller than most. The 16 mm brushes use handles purchased from Franks Shaving and are filled with TGN Finest and TGN Silvertips. I usually travel with two. I use tubes from McMaster - Carr to protect them. I have a 16 mm synthetic knot that I have started to use to reknott another AOS Temporary brush but haven't finished yet.

For soap containers I use plastic cosmetic jars. Small ones. Small enough that the lid from Col. Conk small jars fits, but they are deeper. Two ounces of whatever soap I want is installed. If it is a vege soap I simply nuke it in the microwave and melt it in. If it is a hard tallow soap I shred it and press it in. This leaves some head space to lather up the small brushes. If I'm going to be out for three or more days I pack two soaps.

Since I prefer cartridge razors this is easy for me. For travel I prefer Micro Touch for two reasons. The shaves are great and it fits a travel razor case I have had for decades.

Anyway, it works for me.

I carry an ARKO stick or my home made soap in my Dopp kit, with a Simpson’s Wee Scot in a ventilated pill bottle and either a Harry’s Razor, my Travel Tech in a large pull bottle, or my Baili with a few extra blades. I mostly check baggage as I carry a lap top and camera bag as carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proxy.php

Sir DTrem5, great post and info!
Indeed, the 2 oz screw-top tins are so convenient and effective!

You have lots of choices for software, whether separate soap tins or small pots or foils of creams.
And smallish badger brushes plus re-canted aftershaves or samples of colognes.
Only fly in the ointment, of course, is restriction to a cartridge shaver, but I found, these are actually great shavers!

carry on.jpg

this is my weekender, that I've worked out of for a week at a time. I think I could easily get a month out of it. it's a Tom Bihn 1 QT clear cube that works as a 3-1-1 bag. travel sized everything, but a 2.7 oz toothpaste if I can find them, 1.something if I can't. I routinely keep a Trac II for carry-on commercial air travel; Feather SS, a couple straights and travel strop come out then but otherwise they go with. lately, the Omega 40033 is my go to. the Wee Scott is too small for my taste, the mixed midget to prickly. I tried a Bambino, but don't like the face feel. I've never had an issue traveling with natural brushes and don't like synths. Speick stick in the William's tin, Hasslinger Aloe Vera in the Elmers. cufflinks and collar tabs in the small ziplock, AS/EdT in the sampler bottles, Castile soap in the 3.0 oz. bottle.

and I've got a bigger kit for extended travel needs that I can go for months without restock, but this one travels with me regardless.

9169B78F-1C24-4C88-B28D-40C5747AEA4B.jpeg

all packed up:

3ED07C5E-9B54-491A-AB94-5DF7B43CA6CE.jpeg

The best thing I ever did for my travel kit was to buy the entire set of Clubman travel size (1.7 oz) after shaves for $39.95. I believe there are 11 of them in all....or 10, if you toss the Veg like I did. It‘s a great way to sample them all, in addition to being a great travel kit item. There are a few more than what’s pictured here....Gents Gin, Brandy Spice, and Whiskey Woods.

C80CA1FE-5377-40E1-89F1-80BF3131BB15.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The best thing I ever did for my travel kit was to buy the entire set of Clubman travel size (1.7 oz) after shaves for $39.95. I believe there are 11 of them in all....or 10, if you toss the Veg like I did. It‘s a great way to sample them all, in addition to being a great travel kit item. There are a few more than what’s pictured here....Gents Gin, Brandy Spice, and Whiskey Woods.

View attachment 1064911

I am happy to accept any and all Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal donations rather than see them tossed.

Just doing my part. :)

Here is my travel kit that I use when checking bags:

20200118_151628~2.jpg

Top Bottom