What's new

Traveling with cigars

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I will be traveling next weekend. A 4-5 day trip. Planning on bringing a selection of cigars. For myself and my company. Probably 20ish sticks. Flavored/non-flavored.

My idea is 2 gallon size ziplock bags. One for flavored one for non-flavored. Each containing 1 65% Boveda.

Would this be acceptable?

They won’t be crushed in luggage. No planes, traveling by car. So I can take good care of them.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I travel with a Herf-a-dor with a boveda pack thrown in for good measure. I have a couple--one that holds five, and one that holds 15. If I'm travelling for an overnight or going to the golf course I'll take the smaller one, but if I'm going for longer I'll grab the big one, or maybe both.

I have a herfador as well, but if you don't happen to have one, the ziploc/boveda combo will work just fine, since you're not flying.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t have a herf-a-Dor. I see CI has them on sale now. The 15ct for 22 bucks. I’d need two though. Rather not shell out the 50 bucks for something I might use just twice a year. But then again….it’s only 50 bucks.

But then again….it’s only 50 bucks.
Well that's the B&B answer for sure.

I have one of the big ones that i took on deployment with me, which worked out perfectly, and i also have one of the 5-count jobs that goes in the golf bag. They really are ideal for traveling with cigars, but if you don't have to worry about baggage handlers (or anyone else, for that matter) crushing your sticks, you could get away with using ziplocs, and put those 50 bucks toward more cigars. If you do ever have to fly, though, the herfador is a nice insurance policy.

Hirsute

I don’t have a herf-a-Dor. I see CI has them on sale now. The 15ct for 22 bucks. I’d need two though. Rather not shell out the 50 bucks for something I might use just twice a year. But then again….it’s only 50 bucks.

CI usually sells some samplers that include a herf-a-DOR and those can be a decent deal. But you can also get by with the ziploc and Boveda, or any Tupperware and Boveda that fits your sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to recommend a hearty Rubbermaid containers that can take the suitcase weight if cloths around it. I've traveled like this a few times. Sticks in the box with a large Boveda.

I am not going to add anything new here. But as has been pointed out, Herf-a-Dor are really good for travel. I used to use Tupperware, they hold humidity really well and protect your cigars

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Get the Herf-a-dors. They are very much worth the small expenditure to protect your cigars.

One note: The Pelican Case style boxes are very air tight. If you pack your cigars at your starting elevation and your destination elevation is significantly different, they can be a bit of a bear to open. I recommend a butter knife. ;)

Hirsute

Don't blame me if you fall down the rabbit hole, but there are some herf-a-dors on cigarbid so you might be able to get a couple of them cheaper than through CI.

I must confess, I had to look up what a Herf-a-dor is. Not having one and wanting to spend money on cigars rather than more accessories it dawned on me that I could put my Otter Box to good use.

It is waterproof as it is designed to store cellphones and other water sensitive items while kayaking/boating. I figured is should hold a few cigars, plus a small Boveda humidifier pack and matches/torch lighter.

20210522_113650.jpg

20210522_113737.jpg

Tim

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well I didn’t order the herf-a-dor. I’m sure I would get use out of them for years to come but just got lazy I guess so I’m going with the zip-loc.

This should be enough to keep us busy. Those darn Kentucky Cheroots smell to high heaven! I’m thinking about strapping those to the roof for the drive. They are going in the trunk for sure.

607FACA4-468F-426D-BB0E-E4191A84FB5F.jpeg

Top Bottom