What's new

Traveling With a Non-Travel Type Brush?

Ok, maybe this can't be done or just isn't a good idea, but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a way to carry a regular shave brush in a travel kit without messing it up?

Here's the scenario: I'm a trucker. I go into the truckstop in the morning with my shave kit. I shave in the restroom and then must pack up my kit and carry it back out to the truck.

Up until now I always just carry canned shave cream but would really like to get away from that and use a brush. What sort of issues or problems am I looking at here and what possible solutions are available?

Note: I do intend to eventually purchase nice travel brush. I'm thinking interim here.

I'm almost certain that so long as the brush is clean and dry, it can be stored in just about any makeshift container -- maybe a large pill bottle, or something along that size. I don't think the travel brushes are so much smaller than the traditional size ones that they're going to really save that much space in your travel shave kit anyway -- especially if you like a medium to larger size brush, I'd opt for that.

One thing to consider would just be possibly finding a place in your truck where you could hang your brush while it dries for a little while after you use it, and then maybe tuck it back in your kit when you stop for lunch.

castlecraver said:
I'm almost certain that so long as the brush is clean and dry, it can be stored in just about any makeshift container -- maybe a large pill bottle, or something along that size. I don't think the travel brushes are so much smaller than the traditional size ones that they're going to really save that much space in your travel shave kit anyway -- especially if you like a medium to larger size brush, I'd opt for that.

One thing to consider would just be possibly finding a place in your truck where you could hang your brush while it dries for a little while after you use it, and then maybe tuck it back in your kit when you stop for lunch.
Thanks. I will have to try and find some sort of a container of the right size. I kind of thought that may be needed to protect the bristles.

I hadn't thought about the drying aspect. That's a very good point and one I'll definately have to consider.

Em's Place sells plastic and metal tubes that should do the job (scroll partway down the page to "Brush tubes or box...")

I don't have one myself, but I've seen them mentioned elsewhere on B&B.

Seth

These guys have got the right idea. A big pill bottle or toilet paper/paper towel (cardboard) holder cut to size and with some holes cut into it will do the trick.

pellicle said:
Em's Place sells plastic and metal tubes that should do the job (scroll partway down the page to "Brush tubes or box...")

Seth
Cool, thanks. Something like that might do the trick.

majkeli said:
I used one of these while on vacation last week (thank you marshiano!): DOVO/Merkur Travel Razor & Brush Case
It was exactly what I needed, worked great, very well made, but it isn't exactly cheap. I wouldn't put a wet brush in it either, it's leather.
Thanks. Those are nice but, as you mentioned, I wouldn't want to place a wet brush in it.

TraderJoe said:
These guys have got the right idea. A big pill bottle or toilet paper/paper towel (cardboard) holder cut to size and with some holes cut into it will do the trick.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking cheap right now. While I don't think carboard would hold up, some sort of plastic bottle would definately work.

I appreciate the tips gentlemen. It sounds like with just a little prep this just might work out for my boar brush until I can afford that nice silvertip travel brush I have my eye on ordering.

Is there a way to rig it up so you can hang it in the cab. Maybe a shoelace with a loop on one end from a hanger in the truck.

JMT said:
Is there a way to rig it up so you can hang it in the cab. Maybe a shoelace with a loop on one end from a hanger in the truck.
Thanks, that's an excellent suggestion. I was just sitting here trying to think of a good way to hang it up so that it can dry without my cat shredding it for me. I think that just may well work.

yomuppet said:
One brush you may want to consider is the Omega Synthetic brush, relatively cheap at $10 shipped, and supposedly dries extremely quickly. There's a review either here or on SMF, may want to do a search.

Reference:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Blue-Hand...ryZ35988QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

J
Thanks for the suggestion. I did a search and couldn't find anything on the forum about it, but from everything I've read the synthetics don't hold water the way a badger does so I kind of have my heart set on a nice badger.

Mason,

My travel ¨box¨ for my brush was originally a large plastic cinnamon jar, just over 5 inches tall and 2 inches in diameter. Its lid is a shaker top that I can pop open for ventilation. I salvaged the jar from the kitchen when the cinnamon was almost gone, and ran it through the dishwasher (on the top rack) to remove the lingering smell as much as possible... if it still smells like cinnamon that´s okay, but I wouldn´t have used a garlic jar or I´d be spending lots of time alone.

It´s not perfect, it´s a bit narrower than I´d like, and to get the badger out I have to reach in and gently pull on the brisltes. This seems like a bad practice, so I often take the old BurmaShave brush when I travel, to avoid abusing the badger.

MasonM said:
Note: I do intend to eventually purchase nice travel brush. I'm thinking interim here.

Mason,

Life is awful short to live with intrim products. Bite the bullet and get you a nice turnback. Both the T&H and the Simpson are great.

I have the Simpson in Best and it is a fantastic travel brush. It collapses into a very small package (no wider than your palm), but the brush blooms into almost a medium sized brush.

You will not regret purchasing a Simpson.

-joedy

Magruder said:
Mason,

My travel ¨box¨ for my brush was originally a large plastic cinnamon jar, just over 5 inches tall and 2 inches in diameter. Its lid is a shaker top that I can pop open for ventilation. I salvaged the jar from the kitchen when the cinnamon was almost gone, and ran it through the dishwasher (on the top rack) to remove the lingering smell as much as possible... if it still smells like cinnamon that´s okay, but I wouldn´t have used a garlic jar or I´d be spending lots of time alone.

It´s not perfect, it´s a bit narrower than I´d like, and to get the badger out I have to reach in and gently pull on the brisltes. This seems like a bad practice, so I often take the old BurmaShave brush when I travel, to avoid abusing the badger.
Thanks, sounds like a good idea.

Joedy said:
Mason,

Life is awful short to live with intrim products. Bite the bullet and get you a nice turnback. Both the T&H and the Simpson are great.

I have the Simpson in Best and it is a fantastic travel brush. It collapses into a very small package (no wider than your palm), but the brush blooms into almost a medium sized brush.

You will not regret purchasing a Simpson.

-joedy
Yeah, life's short but sometimes so are finances (trying to pay off over a half million bucks in medical bills from a car crash). I'll be ordering a nice badger some time in the next couple of weeks.

I'll check out the Simpsons. Thanks.

pellicle said:

Seth

I've got one of these. $5 plus $5 shipping, can't beat it. The tube is 4" tall so it will work with all small and medium size brushes. The only thing I don't like about it is that the lid only has one hole in it. I use it with the lid off. Like a turnback the brush dries much faster this way. The added benefit is that you can take any brush you want with you. That being said. I'll be ordering a Major as soon as I can find a vendor that has one in stock. Everybody seems to be out at the moment. Sorry to hear about your medical bills. The Em's tube would be a nice solution for you.
Cheers,
Jeff

Well, if you are a trucker, set it in a drink holder, and as Bachman Turner Overdrive suggested..."let it ride"!

Randy

Top Bottom