What's new

Traveling with a Kai Kamisori

I recently picked up a Kai Captain kamisori and hope to take it with me on a week's vacation next month to get some serious practice time with it. I bought it off Amazon and it came with a nice leather pouch. But I'm wondering if there's best method to protect the blade during travel. Ideally some sort of blade cover. I believe I've seen one for the Feather kamisori. Does it fit the Kai?

Or what's the best way to transport a single blade once it's out of the injector? I picked up a nice little 3D printed DE blade holder off Etsy and would love to find something that similarly protects the edge of an AC blade.

If your travel luggage is not subject to being thrown around, I might think the blade edge would get enough protection in the razor when carried in the leather pouch. Some owners have recommended flipping the blade over so that the sharp edge is protected as a way to safely carry the razor when it is not in a pouch, so that might provide extra protection.

This may be too "low budget" for your tastes, but I have carried spare AC blades in improvised pasteboard sleeve(s). Basically cut out a small rectangular section from a discarded box and fold it in half, sized just a little larger than the blade and secure the open edge of the fold with a piece of scotch tape or staple. I supposed any heavy stock paper would also work. That will protect the sharp edge and provide a way to bring spent blades back home.

The Feather SS plastic holder does not fit the Kai Captain head- just tried it. I don't have the Feather DX holder here to try, it's at our other house. But, they are a little different, so it might work.

IMO the leather sleeve is enough protection. If your goal is to bring just one blade in the holder, then turn it backwards as suggested above. I'm TSA-pre and have never had a problem taking a couple of blades through screening, edge-protected like Tryablade with stiff paper in my wallet. For extended stays, I've just mailed the shave stuff to myself at the destination.

Enjoy your Captain; they're fine razors.

Thanks folks—these are good suggestions. I won’t be flying for this trip and even if I were I’d be too concerned about being the guy pulled into an interview room ‘cause he was carrying sharp objects. I have a guilty look about me

Reversing the blade sounds like the easy way to go. I’m still a little concerned about compromising the edge by having it bottom out in the holder though, so I think I’ll improvise a paperboard sleeve as suggested.

If anyone has or can test the Kai with the Feather DX blade cover, I’d love to know if they’re compatible. I just asked Brad Maggard but he doesn’t have a Kai kamisori in stock at the moment to check.

Thanks again for your help!

I do the same as StillShaving. After I dry the blade, I wrap it in wax paper and then I fold over some stiff paper from a file folder and tape it shut. If it is for long term storage I apply some Camellia oil.

Top Bottom