What's new

Traveling with a DE - how often to change blades?

When one travels each day and is in a different spot each night, do you put a fresh blade in the DE each day?

I found that I didn't have a way to pack my DE so that the blade was protected in a manner I would trust with a shave. As a result I was using a fresh blade each day, putting it in the "blade coffin" after the shave, and then packing up.

How do people handle the blade rotation while traveling with a DE?

Thanks, Chris

Hello Chris,

I use one of those inexpensive leather DE razor holders from classicshaving.com. It protects the razor and also keeps anything from touching the blade.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

When i travel i change the blade everyday as well. I wrap up my razor in a soft small towel to prevent it from moving around.

Coche_y_bondhu said:
Hello Chris,

I use one of those inexpensive leather DE razor holders from classicshaving.com. It protects the razor and also keeps anything from touching the blade.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
Interesting Richard, I once tried those leather DE holder from classicshaving for my futur and the razor in the futur put a big nick in the leather. I'm glad to hear that it works for you. I guess I'll have to try it again.

I'm no longer a daily roadwarrior, but last weekend I flew out west. I had just put a new blade in my DE, so I took out the blade and slide it into the new side of the blade package. While not a good long term solution, it did get to my destination without any damage and was good to shave again the next morning. Changing every day is always a possiblity, but if your trip get extended you can find yourself having to pack quite a few blades.

Bernie

I recently traveled with my DE and tore up my face with the second shave on a blade, so I think there was some rubbing of the blade in transit. I need to pick up one of those leather DE travel cases.

Kind of a silly thought but why not save the wax wrapper and GENTLY pat the blade dry when done and put it back in the wrapper and then back in the little box? Seems to me that if the blade is safe in it's little container to ship to you why wouldn't it be for travelling? Just a thought.

av8or234 said:
Kind of a silly thought but why not save the wax wrapper and GENTLY pat the blade dry when done and put it back in the wrapper and then back in the little box? Seems to me that if the blade is safe in it's little container to ship to you why wouldn't it be for travelling? Just a thought.

Not silly at all Tom. I think that's an excellent suggestion. :smile: In fact, next time I travel, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks.

I have a case for my Slims and one for my Fat Boys since these are the only razors I use. I place the cases in my luggage so they travel well protected. I travel over 250 days a year so I have a little experience. This way I can get my 3-5 shaves out of every blade. I should mention that I travel by car so I don't have the inconveniences of air travel. I believe the only way to protect both blade and razor is to place them in some sort of casing, leather or plastic, just make sure to pack them safely so that they are not moving around during travel. I always have spare blades in my bag just in case. Hopes this helps.

Rafael

Top Bottom