What's new

Traveling Ink Box

oh man.....

that's such a sad sight.... ;(

you can filter ink with glass crumbs through a coffee filter, if that's an option/possibility to salvage some inks.

First, I want to say this had nothing to do with Pault's packing. It was -19*C this morning, up a few degrees from yesterday.
Okay, so here's the final damage.
Both Mont Blanc inks are no more. The bottles both had cracks in them. That was the ink you saw everywhere.
One of the blue Private Reserve ink labels is is pining for the Fjords.
I think everything else is saved. I have all of the repacked and labeled to the best of my abilities. I'm going to see if there's any more leaks. I don't think so, but we'll see. I am concerned about the flip top bottles, though. I'm going to have to replace the box and packing stuff.
I'll be busy at work the next couple of days, so it's going to be sunday before I can look at anything.

I forgot, let the arguement commence to who is next on the list. Are we still including Jeff_H, or are we moving on? I believe that makes Smilingmonk next. How's the weather over in OH?

Last edited:
Oh, man! Sad news about the Montblanc bottles. It's that time of year, though. I know retailers have been fighting the freezing ink bottle battle lately, as well.

-Andy

Well, I can understand how the MB inks cracked their bottles. They were full. <sniff sniff>

And I think my experiment with the snap caps can be declared a failure. If you can't package them in something else that will keep them from flexing or twisting, I say keep them to keep them from leaking all out again.

Wow, that's sad. The good news is that it's getting warmer here in Wisconsin. Up to double digits today! I hope make it to Ohio and then on to me safely.

Okay, as far as the fliptop bottles, one of them is leaky, I think it is the Kon-Peki. Also, the mystery I think is solved with the Private reserve. Did anyone take out the Naples Blue? That is the only one not accounted for, I think.
I felt like the Dexter of the fountain pen world with my blue nitrite gloves and ink everywhere.

I can contribute a couple of bottles of ink if we need more. I don't have any MB that I can throw in but I have some staple inks.

Here's the list of what is now in the box
Pelikan blue Black
Pelikan Brilliant Red
Diamine Jet Black
Diamine China Blue
Diamine/Conway Stewart Bopmin
Diamine/Conway Stewart Edgcumbe
Private reserve Dakota Red
Private Reserve Naples Blue
Private Reserve Tropical Blue
Scribal Nessie
Scribal Siren
Chelpark Violet
Hero Blue
Schaffer Scrip Black
Quink Blue
Noodler's Bernanke Blue
Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng
Noodler's Baystate Grape
several carts
a lot of 2 ml samples

Lost
Mont Blanc Toffee Brown
Mont Blanc Midnight Blue

I still can't figure out which flip top cap(s) is/are leaking. I'm struggling with getting them sealed.
I stand corrected. SWMBO has decided that she wants to try the coral cart and the lamy Torquoise sample.
So, in goes samples of North African Violets, Rabul red, Burma Road Brown.

Last edited:
negatory ghost rider, on the naples blue. I already have a small bottle from the Ohio '08 show. but it looks like you found it since it's listed?

and just take the snap caps, will ya!

Well, then. Back to the drawing board. I'll pull a sample out , ink it up and see what it is. Who knows? Maybe I'll fall in love with Private Reserve no label blue?

Guys, on Monday, I sent a pm to smiling monk, next on the list. Can maybe someone else get his attention? Or should I just skip him, and go on to the next person on the list?

Here's the list of what is now in the box
Pelikan blue Black
Pelikan Brilliant Red
Diamine Jet Black
Diamine China Blue
Diamine/Conway Stewart Bopmin
Diamine/Conway Stewart Edgcumbe
Private reserve Dakota Red
Private Reserve Naples Blue
Private Reserve Tropical Blue
Scribal Nessie
Scribal Siren
Chelpark Violet
Hero Blue
Schaffer Scrip Black
Quink Blue
Noodler's Bernanke Blue
Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng
Noodler's Baystate Grape
several carts
a lot of 2 ml samples

Lost
Mont Blanc Toffee Brown
Mont Blanc Midnight Blue

I still can't figure out which flip top cap(s) is/are leaking. I'm struggling with getting them sealed.
I stand corrected. SWMBO has decided that she wants to try the coral cart and the lamy Torquoise sample.
So, in goes samples of North African Violets, Rabul red, Burma Road Brown.
By this list, the Diamine Jet Black is the only original bottle left from when I first sent the box to Andy. Wonder how many miles it's travelled?

Fair enough. New box is loaded and looking at today's weather, I am glad that I waited until Monday to mail the thing. It's going to lojax, up north. Good luck. Tempted to throw some hand warmer packs to keep it from freezing.

If you have a pack available it would certainly help. I have mailed my fair share of reptiles and tropical fish through the USPS and those hand warmers are exactly what we use in those hobbies. There are some that retain/create heat for longer durations but any little bit would help from what I've seen thus far of the leaks and breakages that have transpired.

Top Bottom