What's new

Travel Tips...yes, I've read the wiki.

I will be doing some traveling next week. I will only be going over the weekend, so I will not have any checked luggage, only carry-on. That being the case I read the traveling wiki on here. I plan on purchasing some blades once I reach my destination. The wiki suggests using a toilet paper or paper towel tube to package your brush. Should I shove something in the leftover space in the tube to cushion or fill out the roll? Tissue or something? What would be the best way to pack a razor? Is a DE or SE more travel-capable? Has anyone had difficulties/issues traveling with just a carry-on before? Would a toilet paper/paper towel tube look suspect going through the scanner?

Is there any way you can hit the hardware store and look around for something to make a brush case out of?
I used a food container from the dollar store.
Drilled me up some holes in the top and bottom for ventilation.

As for the razor, I used an MP3 player case I found at the same dollar store.

I've stored brushes in toilet paper rolls when they are in the closet, but not for travel. I guess it would work because you aren't checking the bag. I'm sure you'll be more careful than the baggage handlers.

How about a prescription pill bottle with holes drilled for ventilation?

At the Philly airport the other day, the TSA screener opened my bag to verify my EJ didn't have a blade loaded. Maybe disassemble the razor if it's a three-piece. Nothing I like more than folks rifling through my stuff. :001_rolle

How about a prescription pill bottle with holes drilled for ventilation?

At the Philly airport the other day, the TSA screener opened my bag to verify my EJ didn't have a blade loaded. Maybe disassemble the razor if it's a three-piece. Nothing I like more than folks rifling through my stuff. :001_rolle

+1. Any large pill bottle or plastic container made from, for example, vitamins will work. And yes, drill holds for ventilation. Also, make sure your brush is dry before packing. I drill in with the hotel hair dryer.

I have had no problems when I travel with either a SE or DE razor.

As Francesco said some TSA agents will check to assure that the razor does not contain any blades in it.

I travel a fair bit and I have found the easiest solution is to use a toilet roll tube to protect my brush (I carry a tiny omega boar). It doesn't fit perfectly, but the roll protects the bristles from bashing into soap, blades etc.

I also used to carry a Merkur 33c (3 piece razor) and would disassemble it so security wouldn't get suspicious. I never worried too much about putting it in another container, its hardy enough not to get damaged.

I always found the simplest options work best.

As others said take your brush to a pharmacy and ask for a pill container that will fit it. As for the razor get a cheap travel soap dish/container while your at the pharmacy. You can either put some foam in it or pack tissue around it. It works like a gem!

Jay

>Should I shove something in the leftover space in the tube to cushion or fill out the roll?
>Tissue or something?

As long as the brush doesn't move around, no need to bother imo.

>What would be the best way to pack a razor?

In a bag or case of some kind to avoid getting scratched/dinged. Take the blade out!

>Is a DE or SE more travel-capable?

Huh?

>Has anyone had difficulties/issues traveling with just a carry-on before?

As long as you have no blades, you'll get through OK. Probably worthwhile to have the razor out and disassembled, cause odds are that they're going to want to take a look at it.

>Would a toilet paper/paper towel tube look suspect going through the scanner?

Not particularly, in my experience.

I just toss the brush into a ziplock baggie and pack it between clothes. No problems.

I like this idea, and I know it works. :001_tongu

I went one better though, and purchased the Dovo stainless steel travel brush. Its silvertip, comes in its own break down holder, and you could drive a tank over it and it would still be fine. Its everything you'll need in a travel brush. Its a bit on the pricey side, but it'll last you two lifetimes. :wink2: :w00t:

>Is a DE or SE more travel-capable?

Huh?

I meant which one is easier to travel with, i.e. easier to pack and secure, etc. For example, a few people have suggested disassembling a DE if traveling with one. Well, that is not necessarily possible with a SE (FW or 1912). Does that make sense?

If your not too tight on space, and want to take a bigger brush, try a piece of 1-1/2" plastic plumbing pipe with end caps to store your brush. It is easy to cut to the needed length and a few holes drilled in the cap lets the brush dry. I use these tubes, standing in a dresser drawer, to store my brushes (without caps). For really big brushes I go to the 2" pipe.:wink2:

I've used an old hard plastic eyeglass case as a travel container for my razor. There's enough room in there for a pack of blades (if you're checking baggage) and a couple of sample bottles of aftershave and cologne.

A large pill bottle with vent holes is perfect for a brush.

I meant which one is easier to travel with, i.e. easier to pack and secure, etc. For example, a few people have suggested disassembling a DE if traveling with one. Well, that is not necessarily possible with a SE (FW or 1912). Does that make sense?

The other consideration is blades when you get where your going can you find the blades you need ( if you haven't pre-shipped them). A DE is easier to find blades for also if it is broken down TSA can see there is not a blade in it. If you take an SE you will want to remove it from your carry on so they can inspect it to make sure no blade is present.

Top Bottom