What's new

Travel Strop

I was really impressed with the TM roughout that is being passed around. So I asked Tony if he could make a travel strop out of it and it turns out the answer is yes! Got to use it for the first time today. The linen is a bit more ribbed than the 3”, but still makes less of a zipping sound than any of the cotton strops that I own. All set for my trip next month that I plan to take a straight razor on!

B8242B71-5BE4-4990-8BB3-BBAC2BDE0D62.jpeg
83C292A4-2A37-4785-A60E-7757CC3BB2F8.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve had one of Tony’s travel strops before, they’re good. Unfortunately it was stolen in a piece of luggage in 2014.

But a regular strop is even better, because you’re used to it. So just take your regular @Tony Miller strop. Currently I’m using a Kanoyama because I have the case for it.

When I travel by car, it just lays down in the back seat or in the trunk. When I travel by air, I always have a hard sided case checked - where else are your straights, right? The strop stays next to the outer case wall to keep it flat, and it only takes up 1/2” 10mm or so for a 3” width. In short, there‘s no downside to a regular strop for travel, but a nice case helps.

There’s also 5 meters/15 feet of paracord in the image, with that I can attach the strop to anything, shower rods, towel racks, door knobs, tree branches, lol. It also serves as a clothes line if I want to wash out some clothes.

95E8C0D7-4953-4166-BF0F-7C7533D0B9BF.jpeg

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
As for the tight roll and D-rings:

I will only use certain leathers for these, thin and flexible enough that a 4" roll will not affect, usually a brushed, oil treated cowhide 3oz to 4oz weight. My usual Roughout is too thick and firm but I had one horse butt much thinner than most that was perfect for this application.

Because it is so flexible it really needs some support at each end, hence the leather caps and D-rings. It would work without them but I think it does better with something to stabilize the ends. In this case however the Roughout does retain enough stiffness left it could be held with just the bare ends.

I do agree that if you have room a full size strop is easier to use and in many cases can be packed flat or loosely rolled (12" circle or greater) in a carry on bag.

As for the tight roll and D-rings:

I will only use certain leathers for these, thin and flexible enough that a 4" roll will not affect, usually a brushed, oil treated cowhide 3oz to 4oz weight. My usual Roughout is too thick and firm but I had one horse butt much thinner than most that was perfect for this application.

Because it is so flexible it really needs some support at each end, hence the leather caps and D-rings. It would work without them but I think it does better with something to stabilize the ends. In this case however the Roughout does retain enough stiffness left it could be held with just the bare ends.

I do agree that if you have room a full size strop is easier to use and in many cases can be packed flat or loosely rolled (12" circle or greater) in a carry on bag.

Thanks for the info about the leather thickness, Tony. As for removing the D-rings at the bottom, I neglected to say that I would reattach the leather end caps afterwards. I would think that an end cap would be required for the linen piece to avoid fraying.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Thanks for the info about the leather thickness, Tony. As for removing the D-rings at the bottom, I neglected to say that I would reattach the leather end caps afterwards. I would think that an end cap would be required for the linen piece to avoid fraying.

I do seal the ends of my cloth with a seam sealer product but the leather only gives a nice hand hold and would increase stability for sure. I have done straight cut 'barber" end strops with caps and no D-rings at times.

My thicker leathers or even thin ones with more delicate surfaces like the Notovan would not be good candidates for rolling as that tight of a curl could damage the surface as would inserting it into the can even though the top edge of the can is rolled to make a smooth entry.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

One of the best solutions I have found for travel is a paddle strop. I have one ... IIRC it was a Tony Miller from years ago. (I don't know if you still make these.)

But now I usually use a Feather AC for travel, and save my real-straight razors for home.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
One of the best solutions I have found for travel is a paddle strop. I have one ... IIRC it was a Tony Miller from years ago. (I don't know if you still make these.)

But now I usually use a Feather AC for travel, and save my real-straight razors for home.

I agree, paddles are great for travel. I do occasionally run my 4 sided paddle but that is more for at home use being heavy. Overall paddles do not seem to be as in demand so I kind of stopped making them.

Top Bottom