What's new

Travel Shaving Brush Recommendation

Was going to pick up the wee scot but the non soak of a synthetic is appealing. Was wondering everyone's thoughts/input.

A synthetic for sure because of their quick-drying qualities--usually 4 hours or less. The Yaqi Sagranda Familia shown here was $11.00.

YAQI BRUSH FIN2.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I am a hardcore badger guy, but my travel brush (and before corona, I traveled quite a bit) is a synthetic Muehle knot in one of my own handles. Had a badger before, but when you forget it once to take out and dry, you are switching to syns very fast.....

Thanks for the input gents. How is the performance feel of a synthetic, have never used one before.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I own brushes ranging in size from a Wee Scot up to a Chubby 2 in badger and synthetic and use them all regularly. The Wee Scot is a fabulous brush to use at any time and not just for travel. I take whichever brush I fancy depending on how I am travelling, how long I will stay, etc. Unless you are desperate to save 5cm of storage space and 50g of weight then just take your regular brush. You can use a badger brush after soaking it for the time it takes to put a blade in your razor. If the brush is not fully dry when you travel then it will be fine for a few hours as long as it is properly packed. In my view, many people overthink this and travel specific shaving items are in most cases unnecessary.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using a synthetic in the under $15 range. I usually give it the hairdrier treatment (not too close) for about 10 seconds or so before packing it away for the trip home. I wouldn't do that with an expensive brush, but it's not much of a risk with a $12 brush. No problems so far.

Reactions: jmd
Synthetics have great lather properties dry fast (towel squeeze).
Just know what you want for handle size and how much weight.
There are brushes which store in the Alluminium handle. But there are also separate brush tubes in different sizes with air holes to dry.

I own brushes ranging in size from a Wee Scot up to a Chubby 2 in badger and synthetic and use them all regularly. The Wee Scot is a fabulous brush to use at any time and not just for travel. I take whichever brush I fancy depending on how I am travelling, how long I will stay, etc. Unless you are desperate to save 5cm of storage space and 50g of weight then just take your regular brush. You can use a badger brush after soaking it for the time it takes to put a blade in your razor. If the brush is not fully dry when you travel then it will be fine for a few hours as long as it is properly packed. In my view, many people overthink this and travel specific shaving items are in most cases unnecessary.
That makes sense, I currently have two brushes: a Simpson 55 which is my daily driver and a Chubby 2, both of which are in Best. I currently travel with the 55, but would like to have a designated brush for my dopp kit. I have been leaning towards the wee scot, but the non soak seemed a definite plus esp when in situations it might be hard to find something to soak a brush in.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That makes sense, I currently have two brushes: a Simpson 55 which is my daily driver and a Chubby 2, both of which are in Best. I currently travel with the 55, but would like to have a designated brush for my dopp kit. I have been leaning towards the wee scot, but the non soak seemed a definite plus esp when in situations it might be hard to find something to soak a brush in.
The Simpson Duke 1 or Classic 1, in Best or Manchurian, are great and fit perfectly in the smaller Simpson travel tube which has a vent hole in case the brush is not totally dry. To soak my brush I simply fill the sink with water and drop the brush in. I damp the end of a Tabac stick and rub it on my face; by the time I have done that the brush is ready. If I didn't even have a sink of water then I am not sure I would bother shaving at all. The Duke or Classic 1 are large enough to use at home every day, but I prefer small brushes. The Wee Scot is excellent although the small Simpson tube is a bit big for it. You can of course make your own tube or not use one at all in which case I would wrap the bristles in some way so as to protect them during travel.

I have used a Muhle Turnback with a SFT knot for many years. Does the job perfectly. Another good choice is a Simpson Trafalgar T2 (or T1 if preferred). Fits properly in a drilled prescription bottle, very reasonably prices, performs quite well.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Depends how long I'm travelling, & how much travelling I'll be doing once I get where I'm going. Most summers I work abroad (not this year, obviously) and I'm pretty much staying in one place, so I'll take a Simpsons Classic 1 in Best. It's like a miniature Chubby. Great brush. For most short trips or if I'm moving from place to place every few days I have the Classic 1 synthetic. It gets the job done.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A Simpson’s brush with one of their travel containers would be my pick. They also sell their Classic 1 Synthetic with a travel case included.
Yes, that's what I have. Either Classic 1, the Best or the synthetic, will fit. I don't believe a Classic 2 would fit, however.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I use an original L’Occitaine Plisson for travel mostly. Also use a RR Bruce from time to time. I have a 3D printed Tavel brush case, and use whatever fits in there. Those two brushes work well and fit in the case.

Wee Scots are just too small for my taste after the second day.

an Omega mixed midget was a touch too prickly, the bambino didn’t feel right on my face.

Omega 40033 is my current traveler, and just about perfect. I love that knot.

I didn’t like the synth I’ve tried, and never had an issue with any natural brush I’ve traveled with. I live in a humid, hot area, and mostly travel within the same.

Top Bottom