What's new

Travel Set. Vintage Guys educate me.

Good Morning vintage guys. Any information on this set would be appreciated. I've never been much of a collector and my knowledge of vintage gear is pretty limited. It is obviously Gillette, and some sort of travel set. Aside from the scratches on the head it appears to have never been used. There are no water spots and no sign of soap. The print on the inside of the flap looks to say Shave Pak. The story from my father is that it was his grandfather's. All plating looks good. The two thick cylinders contain a tiny synthetic brush and a styptic stick.
Gillette.jpg
Gillette Trav.jpg
Gillette Trav head.jpg

Hi
That’s a shave Pak travel set. It’s not made by Gillette but contains a Gillette tech. It dates from approximately the late 40”s into the early 50’s. I have a couple myself. They usually come with a small shave brush and a soap stick and that’s what I think you have not a styptic pencil.
Some larger models also come with an after shave bottle.
The tech razor is a mild efficient razor. Take a look underneath the baseplate it may have a date code, usually a letter on one side and a number 1-4 on the other. This stands for the year and quarter it was manufactured. If there’s no date code it’s most likely from the 40’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a really cool shave set produced by David Grimes MFG. CO.
20210902_221556.jpg
of New York and London. I don't know how rare they are. My set is from 1951. Many came with a monogrammed plate on the front of the leather case with the owner's initials. Here is a pic of my set that I picked up a couple years ago.

Thanks guys. As soon as I saw it I told Pops the razor was a Gillette Tech and the set looked to be a travel set with the small handle. I only guessed styptic pencil because of the size. I appreciate the replies and nice example you have there. Ours has no date code.

Was there a trick to getting the brush extended and getting the soap stick out?
The brush and styptic twist at bottom to get higher like a lipstick.
Thanks guys. As soon as I saw it I told Pops the razor was a Gillette Tech and the set looked to be a travel set with the small handle. I only guessed styptic pencil because of the size. I appreciate the replies and nice example you have there. Ours has no date code.
I would guess late 40's to 1950. They are pretty pieces of shaving nostalgia.

Top Bottom