What's new

Travel Set Up

My family is heading out next week to a family wedding in Calgary/Canmore and I can truthfully say I've put more thought into what's going in my Dopp bag than what's going into my suitcase. A big shock there as in the past I would grab a handful of underwear, socks, t-shirts, jeans and stuff them into the suitcase just before leaving. That'll probably happen next week, with the added stress of paying a little more attention to what's going into the suit bag.
After "extensive" research into what software and hardware will be taken (extensive being about two week's of mixing and matching stuff) I've settled on Speick stick and Cella. I shaved off two, one inch chunks of the Speick and two generous scoops of Cella. They're in four re-purposed sample "jars" courtesy of a West Coast Shaving sampler set from the Spring.
I'm taking a Tech, although that might be swapped out for a TTO...still up in the air. A cheapo Omega travel brush is always in the bag, so that's a no brainer.
I have three airline approved liquid containers, one with some Tres Flores Brillantine for the wedding day, one with Vitalis for every other day, and the last one filled with (cue the ominous music), The Veg...ha ha ha, Calgary may have thought the Stampede Stench will have dissipated by the time we get there. Think again, Cowtown!
Blades. Looks like it's a quick stop at the closest Wally World or some pharmacy out there to get Wilkinson's, since my wife is bound and determined to do only carry-on. Lord help me if I were to suggest checking in one piece of luggage just so I can pack some Personna's. "You want to spend twenty five bucks just so you can take blades on the plane?!?!?" Yeah, that ain't happening, kids. I had hoped to take my Valet single edge for a really good wedding day shave, but finding Valet Feathers in Alberta, well, a man's gotta know his limitations.
Honestly I don't know why I'm obsessing over much of this. A shave's a shave, and at the end of the day I'm just the obligatory goofy, drunk uncle making a jackass of himself on the dance floor. And the Brillantine? I'm probably going to be wearing a white cowboy hat through most of the reception. Yee Haw.
I'm looking forward to my first trip out west, as my niece is a sweetheart and also to show her new Albertan relatives not all of us from Ontario are complete morons. That is until I get up and dance to You Shook Me All Night Long. I make no promises after that:taz:

Could you not post a few decent blades to wherever you're staying?

We're, along with the father-of-the-bride and his crew, renting a house in Calgary. I briefly considered mailing out some blades to the owners.
Briefly.
I mean, how weird would it be to receive an envelope in the mail from a future guest in your home with a warning not to open because there are savage, potentially bloodletting razor blades inside?
If I were the renter, I'd be thinking twice about handing over the house keys to such animals...jeez, they're most likely to burn the bedsheets once we clear out!:07:

That's absolutely hilarious right there. Had me a good chuckle at the end of a LONG day.

Enjoy the trip and congratulations to your niece!

Urgent Late Breaking Update!
We go now to our Senior White House Correspondent, Ray Hamburgere, for this startling revelation from the Trump White House...
Aaah, just kidding.
Actually I just bit the bullet and asked my wife to send me the address of the house we're renting in Calgary.
"Do you want to send it to your sister so she can get ahold of us?"
"Uhhh, no. I want to mail ahead some razor blades."
<confused look>
"Y'know, since I can't have them in the carry-on"
"Well, let's check in one big suitcase with the wedding day suit bags and toiletries like shampoo and your blades...we might need the extra space to bring back 'souvenirs' from there".
Souvenirs. So much for trekking through the Alberta Badlands and checking out the Rockies...she's planning on shopping.
Well, at least I can take along my Valet and the Feather blade. Maybe a GEM. Ooooh, and the Tech and a Super Speed!
My wife has figured out I'm kind of serious about shaving. I think I'll keep her.

Now that is good news. My wife takes so many large size skin care products when we travel so I never have to worry about carry-on luggage.

If push comes to shove the single edge bic sensitive skin disposable razors are readily available and although super ultra light weight do work great.
proxy.php

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Urgent Late Breaking Update!
We go now to our Senior White House Correspondent, Ray Hamburgere, for this startling revelation from the Trump White House...
Aaah, just kidding.
Actually I just bit the bullet and asked my wife to send me the address of the house we're renting in Calgary.
"Do you want to send it to your sister so she can get ahold of us?"
"Uhhh, no. I want to mail ahead some razor blades."
<confused look>
"Y'know, since I can't have them in the carry-on"
"Well, let's check in one big suitcase with the wedding day suit bags and toiletries like shampoo and your blades...we might need the extra space to bring back 'souvenirs' from there".
Souvenirs. So much for trekking through the Alberta Badlands and checking out the Rockies...she's planning on shopping.
Well, at least I can take along my Valet and the Feather blade. Maybe a GEM. Ooooh, and the Tech and a Super Speed!
My wife has figured out I'm kind of serious about shaving. I think I'll keep her.
And it's hotter than Heater in Hellmouth.

one of my travel kits.
enjoy your trip!
One of your travel kits? Egad, and I'm obsessing over one puny Dopp (and calling it by the trademarked name would be an insult to a proper Dopp bag)! I was considering posting a photo of what's packed but the resultant laughter would flood the interwebs.
sky pilot 83: I thought of picking up a bag of BIC single edge disposables, mostly out of fear of losing in transit the three (!!!) razors I've packed. I may still end up taking the Super Speed and leaving the Tech and Valet at home. It just means my shave might not be 100% perfect when I kiss my niece, the blushing bride...ewww, gross!
Thanks for all the hints and tips, gents, and a special shoutout to Rebus Canebus (emwolf)

One of your travel kits? Egad, and I'm obsessing over one puny Dopp (and calling it by the trademarked name would be an insult to a proper Dopp bag)! I was considering posting a photo of what's packed but the resultant laughter would flood the interwebs.
sky pilot 83: I thought of picking up a bag of BIC single edge disposables, mostly out of fear of losing in transit the three (!!!) razors I've packed. I may still end up taking the Super Speed and leaving the Tech and Valet at home. It just means my shave might not be 100% perfect when I kiss my niece, the blushing bride...ewww, gross!
Thanks for all the hints and tips, gents, and a special shoutout to Rebus Canebus (emwolf)
Lol in my dopp bag i have one razor, my daily driver, the brazen beard buster, the master of marvelous shaves, the one and only rockwell 6S.
proxy.php

It's Friday night, we've all had our own particular Hell to put up with for the past five days in our own particular torture chambers known as "work", time for a chuckle. Against my better instincts I went and took a photo of what I'm taking to Calgary, shaving-wise. The mockery shall commence in 5-4-3-2-1...
IMG_0060.JPG

From left to right, smokes, beer (it's what's for dinner, eh?), the Valet and Feather, the Super Speed and Personna blade, the cheapo Omega brush in the ventilated, repurposed Club House container, the Tech and another (??) Personna blade, two containers of Cella, a container of Tres Flores Molding Pomade, two containers of one inch slices of Speick, and the Baggie of airline approved containers of, in order, a good splash of Vitalis, a puny amount of Tres Flores Brillantine and a whole whack of The Veg. In the background is my sad excuse for a Dopp bag.
Looking at that photo I believe I might have skimped on The Veg.
Okay, boys, start laughing.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Not enough Veg, you need enough to reapply vigorously throughout the day. Trudeau is coming to Alberta on Saturday so people will be fairly nose-blind already.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My family is heading out next week to a family wedding in Calgary/Canmore

You can do both ... you get great views of the mountains walking around downtown Canmore, and there's lots of good shopping she'd no doubt love. Either join her for the day, or ... leave her there and hit the nearby mountains/lakes, and pick her up at the end of the day.

proxy.php

proxy.php

If push comes to shove the single edge bic sensitive skin disposable razors are readily available and although super ultra light weight do work great.
proxy.php

I was going to say this same thing. It's been awhile since I've flown, and I've never taken a DE on a plane, but my understanding is airplane security is "officers discretion" these days. Meaning (from what I understand) if they are having a bad day, or just taking their job waaaaay too seriously, they can still confiscate a DE even if it has no blade loaded or even near it. Those orange "prison bics" may not be the best thing in the world but are cheap, readily available, and cause the least amount of red flags to airport security while still providing an easy DFS.

Top Bottom