What's new

Travel Set-Up

Greetings guys!

When you travel, what do you bring? How do you bring it?

I will be doing some traveling at the end of the month, and am trying to put together a kit, just like to get some ideas.

Thanks again!

I like to enjoy the same quality shave while traveling as I do at home.

Slant and Progress w/ Derby & Feather blades
Shavemac w/ stand
Moss Scuttle
Cremo Cream
A couple good soaps
Alum bar
Feather "Kanwa" Aftershave Balm ...Great Stuff!
St. John's Bay Rum
One or two colognes
Fair sized leather dobb kit

I know a lot of guys put together a special travel kit with travel sized brushes and such, but I figure I already have all the gear that I know works very well together and I can see no reason for not using what I already know well.

Merkur HD
Harris shave stick
T&H Turnback brush
Aftershave in a plastic travel bottle. You can get a 3oz bottle at Target for .99
Cologne in a plastic travel bottle.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
When I go away, I take things that I can easily replace if they get lost, or I won't care if I lose them.

Last trip's set-up

76' Gillette SS (I have two of these) w/5 pak of Derbys
Trumper Pure Badger Travel Brush (hey, that's what its for)
LSF (sample size)
QED Fresh Lime (took tub because I didn't have stick.)
sample size of Thayers Lavender w/h
ToBS #74 Victorian Limes
Royall Lyme edt

For me, it was a great set-up. Enjoyed every shave.

I've sent DE blades to family members, so if I travel to relatives, I take an empty Gillette DE razor. Otherwise, I take a sensor.
A half used Arko shave stick.
C&E BBB
A half used Tulumba Alum Block.
A 1oz poly bottle of WH/Aloe mix.
A 10ml atomizer of EdT or Cologne.
A small washcloth and small shave towel.
Other toiletries, eg, toothpaste/brush, etc.

I travel light.

-- John Gehman

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've got a Simpson Major turnback brush, which is great. I also take my Feather AC and a leather holder (to keep the razor closed) that I got from classicshaving. that's the key bits. I'll grab whichever tub of Mama Bear soap (which I can lather up right in the tub and on my face). that's the heart of my travel kit. I'll throw in whatever ASB or AS that tickles my fancy, and I'm good to go.

Hey, I even got back from an overnighter this afternoon!

I have found that I can put my 38 C in a clamshell type soap box and lay a Kingsley or C&E pure bristle or other smallish brush next to it. The brush gets flattened out, but seems to spring back with no ill effects.

My first rule of travel is never to travel with anything that can't be easily replaced.

My travel kit consists of:

Merkur HD
Pack of Derby blades
Cream in a tube -- Proraso, Palmolive, or whatever I've got a partial tube of
C&E travel brush
Witch hazel in a 99 cent Target travel bottle
C&E aftershave in a sample container
Decant bottle of cologne
Styptic pencil
Neosporin

I take either my Gillette travel razor or my German Koenig travel razor. Two or three blades, a small boar brush, and a tube of Palmolive lather and I'm good to go.

We love to travel so we do it a lot. And we travel very, very light. So we have to give up some luxuries. I take a cheap throw away cartridge razor and a travel size can of lather, which can also be tossed.

Maybe if I had servants hauling my steamer trunks onto the Titanic I could take all the nice things from home.....

Sorry, that was uncalled for. Everyone travels in a manner that suits them

Tom :wink:

I just got back and took my M3, which I won't be doing again, a cheap brush and a small tube of cream. Next time, I'll take a DE. It was not worth the razor rash. However, if it is a short trip, you might be OK. I used the M3 for a good 4 or 5 days before noticing any problems and I used it for 8 days.

Simpson Major brush
QED shave stick(s)
1960 Fat Boy in plastic case
or
1949 SS in plastic case
Pack of mix blades (Derby, Merkur, Swedes usually) in the razor case
Travel size Trumper Skin Food
Travel size ASB (Nancy Boy or Feather usually)
Cologne in a Scotto atomizer

Edit: Forgot the Dopp travel case.

That covers me pretty well. Sometimes I put small pots of shave cream in if I think I might want a cream in the mix.

Dennis

Merkur HD
DE Blades
C&E BBB in Tube
QED Juniper Berry Small Shave Stick
L'Occitane Cade ASB mini tube
Packed in a roll up kit.

Headed for Santa Fe in a couple hours, so the travel set-up has been on my mind recently. My face and I finally decided that the disposable Mach 3 serves no viable function as part of a vacation! But, what to put the Merkur HD in to avoid shredding the dopp kit? Though many things will do, I found a plastic snap-top container, designed to hold AA batteries and available near the check stand at my local Container Store, that fits the bill quite nicely. So...

Merkur HD
C&E BB brush in its original plastic tube
Green Proraso tube
Proraso AS Balm in a small screw-top container
Strange-looking but effective battery box:biggrin:

Greetings guys!

When you travel, what do you bring? How do you bring it?

I will be doing some traveling at the end of the month, and am trying to put together a kit, just like to get some ideas.

Thanks again!

If I'm flying, I throw in a Gillette Adjustable, a tub of Proraso soap, C&E Travel Brush. I forgo balms and aftershaves on those trips. If I'm driving, then a whole lot more stuff winds up being packed along!

When I travel by plane, which is my usual mode of transportation, I always take my shaving kit in my carry-on along with at least one change of clothing if not more. In consequence, my shaving kit is designed to meet the carry-on criteria for liquids, gels, sharp objects etc. and consistst of the following:

- Mach 3 razor with 2 cartridges (sorry chaps, but regs don't permit DE blades in carry-on)
- Simpson PJ 1 best badger brush in a plastic pill container
- TOBS shaving stick
- Styptic pencil
- Aqua Velva Classic, small bottle
- Noxzema Original skin cream in travel size tub

My travel setup is at the moment as follows:
- Merkur Slant with Derby
- Spare Derby blades
- Korres Absinthe brushless shaving cream
- Korres Marigold ASB
- Proraso Styptic Gel

Sometimes I also carry Muehle-Pinsel Pure Badger brush in a brush tube
and a tub of TOBS Avocado with me when travelling.

I have had thoughts of purchasing something smaller components, like
some nice shaving stick, to my travel setup. Korres Absinthe and especially brush & SC tub are quite space consuming items.

The shaving portion of my travel kit for a recent three-week trip consisted of:

Merkur Travel Razor and 5 Feather blades
Saville Row "Il Bambino"
2 oz Proraso Pre/Post
2 oz TOBS Rose cream
2 oz TOBS Avocado cream
2 oz witch hazel
2 oz Proraso ASB
travel-size alum block
styptic pencil
4 oz Nivea Extra Enriched Lotion

Of course, in London, I picked up creams, soaps and skin foods in Jermyn Street; in Germany, I picked up Weleda, Florena, Speick and Palmolive creams as well as Weleda ASB; in Italy I picked up a 500 mL tub of Proraso Pre/Post for 6.60 Euros (~$10). In other words, my travel kit grew considerably :eek: :eek:
Although I did occasionally use my new acquisitions, the above mentioned amounts would easily have been sufficient for 20 shaves.

Best - MM

Top Bottom