What's new

Travel Report - Germany

As some of you know, I'm traveling in Germany right now. Seeing my family on Christmas is a treat I look forward to once a year.

Since I just recently got into DE shaving a few months ago, I had never really kept an eye out for shaving stuff here in Germany. This year was different... I was all over it!!!:biggrin1:

Germany still has a lot to offer when it comes to wetshaving, which surprised me a little. Knowing how little I can get at the stores and pharmacies in the US (happy when I see VDH or WMS on the shelf somewhere), this place is still good for getting regular supplies. International brands like Wilkinson or Palmolive are readily available and dirt cheap. The Palmolive shave stick is about $1.75 and the cream for just over $1. Wilkinson is a little more at around $3 for the stick and $2.50 for the tube of cream.

These are available at almost any grocery store and every pharmacy I went to!!! Awesome!!!

The next thing that surprised me, is that blades are readily available. Mostly store brands or the german Wilkinsons... but they are available. Most stores also sell the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor... for just over $4 with a pack of 5 blades included... thats a steal. Yes, I got myself one... and its great.

What still gets me, is that the generic store brands (every place has its own line and name) also offer creams, balms, aftershaves and even boar and synthetic brushes at a very good quality (not like some cheapo boars you get on the web that shead worst than a golden retriever in springtime). These are really good quality brushes. The boar was a little stiff but I guess it'll break in... Sure its not a Semogue or an Omega... but heck, for $3 bucks!!! Who cares...lol

Got to sniff around alot too... Speick, Tabac, Irisch Moos, Pitralon (all except the Swiss), Hattric... just to name a few off the top of my head... all available at the stores and ready to sample and sniff out :laugh:

Here is a quick picture that I was able to shoot when the saleslady wasn't looking...

$1229151118[1].jpg

Here is the haul... for now. Since I have a few more days to go until I go back home to the States, I have a strong feeling that it will expand a little more... Tabac is one I still need to get.

$0101161209~2[1].jpg

Oddly enough I didn't care for a few products that I thought of getting here. Things like the Speick AS (don't really care for the scent that much) and the Pitralon Pure and Polar. The Pure didn't agree with my sniffer at all (don't care for the smell of overripe pears) and the Polar was... middle of the road kinda typ'ish... so I left that one too.

I already know I will get some multiples before leaving... just to be sure that I don't run out :biggrin1:

That's it for now... and I will be posting reviews as soon as I get back home about the products (as soon as I get into them a little more)

I'll keep you posted gents... I hope that everyone had a great Christmas and transitioned well into 2016... Happy New Year to everybody here on B&B. You are trully an exceptional bunch... glad to be part of it!!:thumbup:

Thanks for the report. Be sure and get some of that Irisch Moos after shave. It's too bad that they stopped making the cream for it, but I still have a couple of tubes left.

As some of you know, I'm traveling in Germany right now. Seeing my family on Christmas is a treat I look forward to once a year.

Since I just recently got into DE shaving a few months ago, I had never really kept an eye out for shaving stuff here in Germany. This year was different... I was all over it!!!:biggrin1:

Germany still has a lot to offer when it comes to wetshaving, which surprised me a little. Knowing how little I can get at the stores and pharmacies in the US (happy when I see VDH or WMS on the shelf somewhere), this place is still good for getting regular supplies. International brands like Wilkinson or Palmolive are readily available and dirt cheap. The Palmolive shave stick is about $1.75 and the cream for just over $1. Wilkinson is a little more at around $3 for the stick and $2.50 for the tube of cream.

These are available at almost any grocery store and every pharmacy I went to!!! Awesome!!!

The next thing that surprised me, is that blades are readily available. Mostly store brands or the german Wilkinsons... but they are available. Most stores also sell the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor... for just over $4 with a pack of 5 blades included... thats a steal. Yes, I got myself one... and its great.

What still gets me, is that the generic store brands (every place has its own line and name) also offer creams, balms, aftershaves and even boar and synthetic brushes at a very good quality (not like some cheapo boars you get on the web that shead worst than a golden retriever in springtime). These are really good quality brushes. The boar was a little stiff but I guess it'll break in... Sure its not a Semogue or an Omega... but heck, for $3 bucks!!! Who cares...lol

Got to sniff around alot too... Speick, Tabac, Irisch Moos, Pitralon (all except the Swiss), Hattric... just to name a few off the top of my head... all available at the stores and ready to sample and sniff out :laugh:

Here is a quick picture that I was able to shoot when the saleslady wasn't looking...

View attachment 626603

Here is the haul... for now. Since I have a few more days to go until I go back home to the States, I have a strong feeling that it will expand a little more... Tabac is one I still need to get.

View attachment 626612

Oddly enough I didn't care for a few products that I thought of getting here. Things like the Speick AS (don't really care for the scent that much) and the Pitralon Pure and Polar. The Pure didn't agree with my sniffer at all (don't care for the smell of overripe pears) and the Polar was... middle of the road kinda typ'ish... so I left that one too.

I already know I will get some multiples before leaving... just to be sure that I don't run out :biggrin1:

That's it for now... and I will be posting reviews as soon as I get back home about the products (as soon as I get into them a little more)

I'll keep you posted gents... I hope that everyone had a great Christmas and transitioned well into 2016... Happy New Year to everybody here on B&B. You are trully an exceptional bunch... glad to be part of it!!:thumbup:

Hello Quink!

Is that photograph from Müller Drogerie? I know that store well if it is...

Hello Quink!

Is that photograph from Müller Drogerie? I know that store well if it is...

You are correct!!!:thumbup: Its Drogerie Mueller.... thats like shave heaven in there... I think I spent an hour at least sniffing about all the scents. Miss something like that in the US...

Thanks for the report. Be sure and get some of that Irisch Moos after shave. It's too bad that they stopped making the cream for it, but I still have a couple of tubes left.

Made sure and got the large bottle... that should last me a while. It sucks that they stopped making the cream and soap... I still hope to find some old stock somewhere. I love the scent.

You are correct!!!:thumbup: Its Drogerie Mueller.... thats like shave heaven in there... I think I spent an hour at least sniffing about all the scents. Miss something like that in the US...

Excellent choice to visit Quink!!! It is a great place for shaving stuff! Heaven indeed:001_wub:
I am sure you saw the Tabac shelf ?:thumbup1:
Great haul for you to take back to the U.S...Pitralon Classic is one of my favourite Aftershaves...Germany makes some wonderful shaving stuff. Enjoy!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow! You made out like a bandit!

ten times better than the sparse pickings I had in Scandinavia a few months ago ...

(can't believe you don't love Speick)

AA

Quink,
Mueller is great!! I live in Bavaria and, like you, picked up the Speick, Palmolive and Wilkie sticks really cheap. Pick up some SEB-MED balm while you're there at Mueller... very refreshing and I've never seen it elsewhere.. and the Nivea Sensitive Balm.

check and see if we have links in the Wiki to German shops.
www.einseifer.de is a great source for Haslinger. the have stores in Regensburg, Dresden and Meissen.

Have fun!

Great shot of the store shelf!...I recognize everything but the HJM soap,is that a German product ?....Nice haul,pack them well !

Wow! You made out like a bandit!

ten times better than the sparse pickings I had in Scandinavia a few months ago ...

(can't believe you don't love Speick)

AA

I like the cream and soap...just not the aftershave...don't know why...lol

The cream is incredible in its properties to give a fantastic shave...

Quink,
Mueller is great!! I live in Bavaria and, like you, picked up the Speick, Palmolive and Wilkie sticks really cheap. Pick up some SEB-MED balm while you're there at Mueller... very refreshing and I've never seen it elsewhere.. and the Nivea Sensitive Balm.

check and see if we have links in the Wiki to German shops.
www.einseifer.de is a great source for Haslinger. the have stores in Regensburg, Dresden and Meissen.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips... I'm in Nuremberg Area... so Regensburg won't be a real option right now. I did see Haslinger at the Douglas, unfortunately not the Schafsmilch i wanted... guess thats one to order online. But I'll keep my eyes peeled. Nivea is readily available at Walmart in the states so I won't take it along.

Great shot of the store shelf!...I recognize everything but the HJM soap,is that a German product ?....Nice haul,pack them well !

HJM... up until now I havent heard of them before. I think it might be german... I'll have a look when the stores open back up tomorrow. If it looks alright I might take one along...
[MENTION=79907]BSAGuy[/MENTION] thanks and I'll do my best to stay out of trouble :thumbup1:. You take care too.

HJM... up until now I havent heard of them before. I think it might be german... I'll have a look when the stores open back up tomorrow. If it looks alright I might take one along...
@BSAGuy thanks and I'll do my best to stay out of trouble :thumbup1:. You take care too.

Quink,
HJM is a less expensive line from Muehle who make the razors and brushes. Quality products and a good price.

If you're in Nuernberg, Regensburg is not that far... maybe an hour by Autobahn A6 and then A93... piece of cake.. and some historical bratwurst by the bridge built by the Romans a few years ago.... The Einseifer store is near the train station.

The Mueller in the N'berg HauptBahnhof is pretty good... but I've never looked for shaving stuff there.

I found this link for Nuernberg... http://www.onezoo.de/Herrenrasierer/Nass-Rasur/ in the town center. Also nearby is JimmyRay's Barber shop.. http://www.jimmyraysbarbershop.de

And go to O"Sheas on Wespennest.. Fantastic Irish Pub with great Fish and Chips and Shepherd's Pie.... and, of course, Guinness and Kilkenny... and more

GREAT TRIP REPORT!!! You can pay for the cost of a ticket by what you save on supplies!! (Will SWMBO buy that one? :lol:)

Top Bottom