What's new

Travel Razor

I have a Merkur HD as well as a Gillette SS and FB, but have been contemplating picking up a Sensor Excel before my trip to Jamaica next month. I also plan on taking some of the Menscience Brushless Shave Cream as opposed to carrying one of my C&E brushes. What do you guys do when going on trips either for business or pleasure??? Thanks in advance.

If I take a commercial airline, I will pack my DE in my check in luggage. If it's an overnight trip, I will usually pack a bic disposable.

I take everything I can, my Merkur HD in a travel case , travel brush in a tube, small metal shave bowl, tub of taylors etc... I have a nice Briggs & Riley kit that can carry everything I usually use at home.

Hey Todd,
This is one of my standard travel packs. If you have time you could call Charles and get his travel brush, less expensive and actually appears nicer..

Last edited by a moderator:
T&H turnback (but thinking about movin' up to a Major) and the Men-U Travel Pack I find the men-u products to be superlative. Use the Men-U cream with your shaving brush one time, and it turns the brush soft as silk.

I take my Merkur Futur, a tube of T&H 1805, and a Vulfix super badger travel brush and throw them all in my checked bag with a new blade. For a bowl I use an empty tub that once was full of Taylor's Lavender. Can't take the Moss scuttle or apothecary mug on the road!

Tam- "Other Kyle"-

I'll be going on a 3 day to LA in a couple of weeks and I plan on taking my Futur DE, Simpson CHubby2, and a travel size NancyBoy cream- all in my CARRYON.

From what I've read on JetBlue's and AA's website, you can now bring shaving razors (including double edged blades) on a plane. Just no other types of knives. I'm going to go check faa.gov to confirm.

Anybody else have any experience with carrying on DEs?

DIRECTLY from the FAA's "Permitted and Prohibited Items" list that you can download from: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=177

PERMITTED:
"Safety Razors (including disposable razors) " (yes to both carry-on and checked)

PROHIBITED:
"Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors. (no to carry-on and yes to checked)

SO: Although you may not bring razor blades that are not in a cartridge, YOU MAY BRING safety razors (ostensibly for overnight/frequently traveling businessmen) that are disposable. As far as I can tell, that "okays" the DE blades that we all know and love, such as the Merkur Platinums, the Feather blades, and the Israeli Super+ eBay specials.

S

Sam

Ok, so the feathers in a pack are cool, but can you leave the blade in the razor, say you are between shaves?

Sam

Sam,

I'd actually say that it sounds like the blades in a pack are not as good as leaving a blade in the razor... When they say "blades in a cartridge" I think they mean in-line blades, like a Mach3 or Fusion-type setup. I think your best best is to leave a blade in the razor, a SAFETY RAZOR, to use TSA's words, so it's not like you're bringing potentially "loose" blades with you...

FYI what I'm going to do when I go on that 3-day is bring a pack of Merkurs AND leave a fresh one in the Futur. I only expect to need one shave while I'm gone (I'm going Thursday to Saturday-night-red-eye, so one shave on Friday)...

S

Sam

By the way, that is good advice on what to do and then you can tell us what happened.

Sam

Hmm?

I'll definately post what happens when I get there (or back) but I was wondering if anyone else has brought their DEs on board.

Also, the worse-case scenario for safety DE blades found in your carry-on in the scanning area would be that they'd make you throw them out.

It's rare that they make an arrest because of contraband in your carry-on. NOT IMPOSSIBLE, just rare.

I wouldn't dream of taking razor blades in my hand luggage. I almost permanently travel with a Futur in my wet pack, I usually carry it empty and try to get some blades locally. As a back up I have a Bic.

Security in airports have a hard enough job these days, queues get longer, and people get more impatient. It's difficult enough for the airport security staff without people that know the rules deliberately ignoring them.

NYLaw said:
SNIP. . .but I was wondering if anyone else has brought their DEs on board.

I've brought my Vision with Merkur baldes in the case and razor on several trips, in both carry ons and checked bags, and have never had a problem. I can't guarantee the same for you, but this has been my experience.

Mitch, thanks for sharing.

John- it's not a matter of trying to break the rules as I understand them...
The attached pics are box cutters... Nothing in the TSA brochure or downloadable list refers to shaving or double-edged type razors.

The double-edge blades "safety razors" are specifically excluded (Merkurs, Dovos, etc.), as I said, for overnighting businessmen who don't need to check bags.

In any event, I like the idea of bringing it blank and running to a store that I know carries them when I get there! (...just to play it safe, even with my badge and airport ID card.)

This is a snippet of the rules we have in the UK:

In addition to the list of dangerous items prohibited for carriage in baggage, the UK Department of Transport, Local Government and Regions (DTLR) has prohibited the following articles from being carried onboard as cabin baggage:

Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal), catapults, household cutlery, knives with blades of any length, paper knives, razor blades, tradesmen’s tools, darts, scissors, tweezers, hypodermic syringes (unless a genuine medical need can be proven), knitting needles, sporting bats, billiard, snooker or pool cues.

Knives with blades of any length... Have you ever heard of anything so silly!

I'd take an alternative razor if you are coing to get some blades on arrival. I once arrived in a small town in Switzerland, where I was camping, on a Saturday evening and the shops were all closed on the Sunday AND Mondy because it was a public holiday so I couldn't get any blades! Or milk now I think back, imagine an Englishman not being able to have a cup of tea!

John...

At the risk of hyperbole, the differences are FASCINATING to me! Not only does the FAA allow "safety razors," but on the list of allowed items they include "Knitting and Crochet Needles" for carry-on baggage (and I see that knitting needles are not allowed in the UK... So interesting. Additionally, they allow scissors as long as the blades are less than 4" or something like that. I think 4" = 18 kilometers, but it's been a while since I've used kilometers so that could be a little off.

NYLaw said:
John...

At the risk of hyperbole, the differences are FASCINATING to me! Not only does the FAA allow "safety razors," but on the list of allowed items they include "Knitting and Crochet Needles" for carry-on baggage (and I see that knitting needles are not allowed in the UK... So interesting. Additionally, they allow scissors as long as the blades are less than 4" or something like that. I think 4" = 18 kilometers, but it's been a while since I've used kilometers so that could be a little off.
Ben,
You probably meant centimeters. Eighteen kilometers is approximately 11.25 miles. Now that's hyperbole! ::smile::

NYLaw said:
but it's been a while since I've used kilometers so that could be a little off.

KILOMETERS BE DAMNED!!

I'm fully in favour Imperial measurements!

Rules eh... Surely the simple rule of "If it's sharp and or pointy you aren't allowed to bring it into the cabin" would would work. The 4" scissors thing is a fine piece of nonsense, are they suggesting you can't inflict mortal wounds with a 4" blade?

Top Bottom